autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Becciasm View Post
    ^^ was waiting for you to post some more details, Mark - you were (are?) very vocal about the 3401. which worked better, for you, on the Z?
    Yes, I go back and forth on the 3401. I always seem to come back to it because of the forced rotation(consistent) polishing results. I used them both on the Z and they worked very well. If I HAD to choose 1, I'd go with the 3401. Recently, I learned a tip from Bunky(Al) that's REALLY helped me with the 3401; don't try to whip the polisher around, take your time and let the polisher move on its own, while just guiding it. Great advice. The LC Hybrid pads are easily the best pads to use with the 3401, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Yes, I go back and forth on the 3401. I always seem to come back to it because of the forced rotation(consistent) polishing results. I used them both on the Z and they worked very well. If I HAD to choose 1, I'd go with the 3401. Recently, I learned a tip from Bunky(Al) that's REALLY helped me with the 3401; don't try to whip the polisher around, take your time and let the polisher move on its own, while just guiding it. Great advice. The LC Hybrid pads are easily the best pads to use with the 3401, IMO.
    Thanks Mark.

I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becciasm View Post
    Thanks Mark.

Are you trying to decide as well?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    I unfortunately started with a baby polisher and now I'm in need of something that really works. I was all set to pick up the Flex3401 when Rupes Bigfoot hit the scene. Is Rupes now the go to polisher using the washer trick to get better rotation? or is the Flex3401 still king? I have 2 days and 18 hours to get this figured out before the sale is over. Thank you for any thoughts you may be able to provide.

Haz
    Like you, I started out with a different machine before purchasing the Flex or the Rupes. I had little knowledge (and technique) using a polisher until I was fortunate to take a detailing class at Meguiars in Orange County, CA. After the class, my knowledge, technique, and efficiency improved tremendously. I had one of the best (if not the best) instructors in the nation. Shortly after the class, I ordered the Flex 3401, which I have used for about 3 years. Recently, after reading all the "hype," I purchased the Rupes 21. I enjoy both machines equally. I have my Flex equipped with the LC interchangeable backing plates. However, I'm prone to leave the 4" backing plate on the Flex and use the 5" LC Hybrid pads for smaller areas and use the Rupes 21 on larger panels. This enables me to have to machines ready to go without having to change backing plates and/or pads in the middle of a job. Call it lazy, efficient, expensive, or crazy. But it works for me.

So, the short story is if you have the money, get both. If you don't, beg, borrow, (don't steal) from someone to let you try theirs. I wouldn't let the sale "meter" force you to buy something you may not like. AG runs sales continuously; therefore, you won't be missing out on a good deal. Additionally, if you have not taken a detailing class, I would encourage you to do so. You'll get a lot of "drive time" using the various machines that will assist you in making a decision. Whatever you decide, you will have one (or both) of the best machines on the market. Good luck!

Oh, did I tell you who my great instructor was? Mike Phillips! I was fortunate to be in his last class at Meguiars before Mike made his trek to AG. He's the best! Mike's knowledge and skills are over the top and the folks at AG are very lucky to have him on staff.

Sorry to get a little off topic, but I thought since AG is not only recognizing the July 4th holiday and recognizing Mike's anniversary with the company, I wanted to give him kudos as well. We miss you Mike!
    Best regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ocmike View Post
    I enjoy both machines equally. I have my Flex equipped with the LC interchangeable backing plates. However, I'm prone to leave the 4" backing plate on the Flex and use the 5" LC Hybrid pads for smaller areas and use the Rupes 21 on larger panels. This enables me to have to machines ready to go without having to change backing plates and/or pads in the middle of a job. Call it lazy, efficient, expensive, or crazy. But it works for me.
    Smart man.

Are you using the Rupes with the washer mod?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ocmike View Post

Oh, did I tell you who my great instructor was? Mike Phillips! I was fortunate to be in his last class at Meguiars before Mike made his trek to AG. He's the best! Mike's knowledge and skills are over the top and the folks at AG are very lucky to have him on staff.

Sorry to get a little off topic, but I thought since AG is not only recognizing the July 4th holiday and recognizing Mike's anniversary with the company, I wanted to give him kudos as well. We miss you Mike!

Wow! Thanks Mike...

Good times in the past and more good times to come...

I'm not suffering too much out here on the East Coast...

Post Thanks / Like

I WILL stick to my guns and say that MF pads(w/ washer mod) work MUCH better on the Rupes compared to 3401. Foam and foamed wool is where it's at with the 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I will have both after last weekend's meetup.

I love how smooth and effortless it is with the Rupes but you are correct...the power of the 3401 is undeniable.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Haz...

-According to the reports/reviews of using a forced rotation (Flex3401VRG): It may, indeed, be daunting.

-And...
    If you were to purchase a RUPES ("15" or "21") and defeat their built-in safety feature(s)...by installing the "washer-mod"...

Then, in my honest opinion:
    You'd be better off purchasing either the FLEX PE14-2-150 or FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight rotary/circular polishers...
    that will provide: "The German quality you've come to expect from FLEX".

One of these Flex rotary/circular polishers will be a guarantee to ensure what you so desire:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    I unfortunately started with a "baby polisher" and now I'm in need of something that really works.
    Use the "baby polisher" to follow-up behind a rotary polisher, when/where needed.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to decide as well?
    Not really. I'm going to step up to the VRG when budget allows. It's honestly a $$$ thing with me over the Rupes. This isn't a significant income generator for me, so budget reigns for now

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    I will have both after last weekend's meetup.

I love how smooth and effortless it is with the Rupes but you are correct...the power of the 3401 is undeniable.
    It was great that we had that opportunity. I would agree that if the means are there to pick up both - Using my "baby polisher" GG 6" yesterday i was longing for the smooth operation of the two on this thread!

I WILL stick to my guns and say that MF pads(w/ washer mod) work MUCH better on the Rupes compared to 3401. Foam and foamed wool is where it's at with the 3401.
    Noted. We had a lot of success with the hybrid pads on the flex.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Haz...

-According to the reports/reviews of using a forced rotation (Flex3401VRG): It may, indeed, be daunting.

-And...
    If you were to purchase a RUPES ("15" or "21") and defeat their built-in safety feature(s)...by installing the "washer-mod"...

Then, in my honest opinion:
    You'd be better off purchasing either the FLEX PE14-2-150 or FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight rotary/circular polishers...
    that will provide: "The German quality you've come to expect from FLEX".

One of these Flex rotary/circular polishers will be a guarantee to ensure what you so desire:

Use the "baby polisher" to follow-up behind a rotary polisher, when/where needed.

Bob
    rotary is in my future.

Sorry for the Jack, Haz, but yeah, i think everyone has your 'dilemma' I'm sure you'll be satisfied with either purchase.

Don't lose the other DA though - i'm slowly learning that the more the better, and you can use your other DA with different size pads - say 3" BP and 3.5/4", and keep your flex/rupes for the larger pads
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast