autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad advice for someone just starting out.

Hi, I'm about to purchase a flex kit from autogeek, probably this one:

FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher Kit with Free FLEX Polisher Bag, FLEX Dual Action Polisher and storage bag, FLEX bag kit

Or alternatively this kit from Amazon (don't know which kit is better):

Amazon.com: FLEX XC3401 XMT Heavy Swirl Remover Kit: Automotive

I get to choose three pads and have no idea which three I will need. Here is my situation, keep in mind I've never touched a polisher before so this is all new. I have two cars, an 05 mercedes and a new corvette. The mercedes has some paint issues, scratches, swirls, just rough paint overall (previous owner I swear!). The vette is in great shape and is garage kept but the paint wasn't perfect from the factory, it has some minor marring and streaking though no deep scratches. I would like to be able to fix the real problems on the merc as well as clean up the vette. Any advice on which three pads I will need? And of course which polishes I will need? I have a bottle of CGs polish but I'm not sure which one, I'll try to post once I find out.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad advice for someone just starting out.

3 pads? You are going to need more... unless you are going to refine and wax by hand.

I think my bare minimum would be 3 polishing, 2 finishing and 1 for wax.
    In LC language, that would be 3 orange, 2 grey and 1 red.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    3 pads? You are going to need more... unless you are going to refine and wax by hand.

I think my bare minimum would be 3 polishing, 2 finishing and 1 for wax.
    In LC language, that would be 3 orange, 2 grey and 1 red.
    I see, I've never used one before so can you explain why I need so many? I don't mind applying waxes/sealants by hand, been doing it forever! I really want the polisher to fix defects though I will probably buy more pads in the future to do things right. I could also get this kit with five pads if that would be better:

Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer, curved edge pads

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

When correcting, your pads can get heated which can lead to delamination... the hook & loop part separating from the foam. To prevent such, you want to switch to a fresh pad so that the other can cool down. Second, you can end up with too much build up of product on the pads which will lessen its effectiveness. You should be cleaning you pads on the fly but short of a pad washer, there is only so much product that can be removed using the towel method. I have a mid size 4 door sedan and 3 pads seems to work for me.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When correcting, your pads can get heated which can lead to delamination... the hook & loop part separating from the foam. To prevent such, you want to switch to a fresh pad so that the other can cool down. Second, you can end up with too much build up of product on the pads which will lessen its effectiveness. You should be cleaning you pads on the fly but short of a pad washer, there is only so much product that can be removed using the towel method. I have a mid size 4 door sedan and 3 pads seems to work for me.
    Good to know, thanks for the info! So if I purchase the five pad kit which pads would you recommend?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used a Flex but I know it to be a more powerful machine than a PC. If I were to pick up pads for a PC, I would do 3 orange, 1 grey and 1 red. You should use the orange for compounding, the grey for finishing polish and red for your wax. Or if you prefer waxing by hand, I would go with 2 grey.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not used a Flex but I know it to be a more powerful machine than a PC. If I were to pick up pads for a PC, I would do 3 orange, 1 grey and 1 red. You should use the orange for compounding, the grey for finishing polish and red for your wax. Or if you prefer waxing by hand, I would go with 2 grey.
    Thanks for being so helpful! So the three oranges would be for defect removal, the grey would bring out the shine (less abrasive I assume), and the red would be to apply a sealant? I think that is what I will go with. Any thoughts on which polishes to use with the pads?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty Meg's bias but really, if you apply the correct techniques, you should have no problems with any of the products AG carries.

Having said that, I use Meg's UC/M105 and UP/M205 combo. I like Meg's because of the SMAT properties which I am sure other brands uses as well. With SMAT, you don't need to worry about the abrasives breaking down and you can stop at any point you feel necessary.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty Meg's bias but really, if you apply the correct techniques, you should have no problems with any of the products AG carries.

Having said that, I use Meg's UC/M105 and UP/M205 combo. I like Meg's because of the SMAT properties which I am sure other brands uses as well. With SMAT, you don't need to worry about the abrasives breaking down and you can stop at any point you feel necessary.
    Sounds good to me, they even have a kit with everything you recommended:

Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's Polish Kit, 5.5 inch buffing pad kit

I may just buy that to cover all bases!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoke too soon, they have a flex kit with most of what you recommend:

Meguiars FLEX 3401 Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's 105 Compound, Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Once I'm done polishing are there any tricks to cleaning the pads? Should I buy something specific or just use dish soap?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast