autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3401 plate damage

This is interesting.

A few years back someone from LC or AG would chime in making sure the faulty product is replaced.

I have posted the above issue with my backing plate, Eric from LC asked for my postal address, but that was it. I was never contacted again.

And this b/plate was used only a handful of times, before it disintegrated, as per pics above.

Whats going on Lake Country?

/
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Danube -

I'm Sorry that a follow up on your backing plate wasn't done. Could you please email me your address and I will get this taken care of for you ASAP.

David.Patterson@LakeCountryMfg.com

Additionally for other poster -
    While I have seen issues with these plates, I have seen many that are over tightened. While we don't have a "torque spec", just make sure you aren't cranking down on it too much. This can definitely cause it to break also.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    This is interesting.

A few years back someone from LC or AG would chime in making sure the faulty product is replaced.

We're still here and still taking care of our customers.

Quote Originally Posted by David@LakeCountry View Post

Additionally for other poster -
    While I have seen issues with these plates, I have seen many that are over tightened. While we don't have a "torque spec", just make sure you aren't cranking down on it too much. This can definitely cause it to break also.

Hi David and thank you for chiming in.

I wish reps from all the companies we carry could and would have a presence on our forum, it's always to their benefit.

When issues with a product arise, and they do, the most important thing is to get the feedback to the company that makes the product so they can investigate and if needed take action.

Feedback is crucial, it's not a negative or a positive thing it's simply communication to bring awareness of an issue.

So thank you to both David and Eric for being proactive on our forum, it's greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I just used my Flex 3401 with the 4" backing plate for the first time and did a full size Tundra and a Tahoe including the roofs. I am sold on the LC kit, and will keep an eye on it after reading this helpful thread. Although I'm not expecting any problems, it's great to see both the OEM and AGO step up to support customers .
    Rick......(Spelled with a "D" )

Post Thanks / Like

From Tato's picture documentation I can see where the raised are in the center of the BP mounting surface could very well cause it to fail. With the BP constantly flexing even the small a small amount over time could fatigue the plastic to the point of failure. It seems the obvious cure was to make sure the mounting surface is flat which LC has done with the new plates. A simple remedy if you have a backing plate with the raised area would be to first inspect the plate and if no stress cracks are found simply file it flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    From Tato's picture documentation I can see where the raised are in the center of the BP mounting surface could very well cause it to fail. With the BP constantly flexing even the small a small amount over time could fatigue the plastic to the point of failure. It seems the obvious cure was to make sure the mounting surface is flat which LC has done with the new plates. A simple remedy if you have a backing plate with the raised area would be to first inspect the plate and if no stress cracks are found simply file it flat.

Good idea. I'll be inspecting mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Good excuse to buy a Rupes!
    Or buy the backing plates made by Flex which would still make it an equivalent to two Rupes in pad acceptance.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Good excuse to buy a Rupes!
    I have both machines and the Rupes isn't perfect either. Failing speed controls, delaminating BP's, stiff power cords.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Or buy the backing plates made by Flex which would still make it an equivalent to two Rupes in pad acceptance.
    Flex doesn't make a 4" BP. That's what makes the LC kit so attractive to most people. I just wish they sold it separately.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex doesn't make a 4" BP. That's what makes the LC kit so attractive to most people. I just wish they sold it separately.
    I know that's why I have a smaller machine with a 3.5" plate
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

I have both machines and the Rupes isn't perfect either. Failing speed controls, delaminating BP's, stiff power cords.
    agreed. the QC on the Rupes can use some improvement. while the outside appearance of a polisher doesn't affect the overall performance (if you pay a high premium, it should look dayum near perfect), IME the Rupes looks like they may have dropped or dragged it on the ground a little. IMO, the Flex QC is better. not to mention they have a service center that's been around for years...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123