autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 inch Flex DA Orbital

Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post
    I'll save the $25.00 and get a lifetime warranty.
    I'll pay the $25 and not put up with the hassle of having to send cheap polishers back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    Have you purchased this machine yet ? If so what are your thoughts ?
    Which one are you referring to; the Flex or the Metabo?

I have the Flex XC 3401 VRG and the quality is tops. I have absolutely no regrets spending the extra cash over the Porter Cable or Griot's.

As for the Metabo, its on my shopping list pending more background information on it.

As for the Griot's polishers, I have to wonder why they list them as "upgraded". What was wrong with the last one???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hey Johny,

I got one for Christmas but haven't used it yet, what made you return it?
    Bob, I PMed Johny and ask why as well.

According to him, "Lack of power for sure. Just apply a little pressure and it will stop rotating. Feel cheap too. Not worth the price".

Obviously it will have less power needed since it is driving a 3" pad.

As for it not rotating, if it isn't a true dual action polisher, apply enough pressure and and those that aren't true DA, will stop rotating.

Price, well when you see Harbor Freight being able to sell an angle grinder for $20, you have to wonder how the Griot's that is made in China has to cost any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    According to him, "Lack of power for sure. Just apply a little pressure and it will stop rotating. Feel cheap too. Not worth the price".

Obviously it will have less power needed since it is driving a 3" pad.

As for it not rotating, if it isn't a true dual action polisher, apply enough pressure and and those that aren't true DA, will stop rotating.

Price, well when you see Harbor Freight being able to sell an angle grinder for $20, you have to wonder how the Griot's that is made in China has to cost any more.
    I have both the Griot and the Metabo 3" electric polishers, they both have adequate power to turn 3" pads.

Any random orbit polisher whether it be "True dual Action" dual action or whatever will stop rotating under enough pressure. The only type of DA polisher that won't stop rotating is the forced rotation polisher like the Flex 3401.

An angle grinder is always less expensive to manufacture and sell than a DA tool as it has less parts is simpler and runs smoother. Harbor Freight makes a DA that is often on sale for $49.95. Harbor freight makes tools by the millions and sells them for less. You will better compare a Griot tool to a Milwaukee or Makita.

Assumptions derived from opinions are a dime a dozen. Try the tools yourself, then decide where to spend your money.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post
    The only type of DA polisher that won't stop rotating is the forced rotation polisher like the Flex 3401.
    Those are what many call a "true" DA polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3" GG and while yes, the power is the first thing you notice (or rather you don't notice), it does spin a 3" adequately. Put it on 6 and use light to medium pressure and a compound and it can even do pretty good paint correction.

FWIW, I like the 3" because it is able to be used in places where other DA's are simply to big.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    Those are what many call a "true" DA polisher.
    Cool, we are on the same page

My Metabo 3" came in a DeltaKit headlight refinish system. The 3" polishers are really nice for sanding headlights. The 3" papers used with the Meguiars interface make short work of headlight repair.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased and use both Griots 6" and 3" DA Polisher. I have had no problem or regrets with either purchase. I use the 3" more than the 6" because it is lighter, gets into curves and smaller places than the 6" can. In fact if I could only use one, it would be the 3" DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I purchased and use both Griots 6" and 3" DA Polisher. I have had no problem or regrets with either purchase. I use the 3" more than the 6" because it is lighter, gets into curves and smaller places than the 6" can. In fact if I could only use one, it would be the 3" DA.
    WOW!! Are you polishing motorcycles only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    WOW!! Are you polishing motorcycles only.
    No, I own a 2001 Acura CL and a 2012 Accord both black. If I am working on a scratch or swirl with UC (which removes clear coat) I want to remove the least amount possible amount of clear coat. Thus I use the 3" DA instead of the 6" DA. Now when I finish it off with SWIRL X or 205 I may or may simply exchange 3" pads or unplug my 3" DA and use the 6" DA depending on how flat the panel is. But basically I feel removing the least amount of clear coat when making a correction is best in the long run. I am especially nervous going over creases with a DA and an aggresive polish. In addition when I am trying to polish or wax around the car's Acura Logo I can get in much closer with the 3" DA than the 6"DA.

I am a hobiest and not a profesional and I enjoy it, so a little extra time is OK with me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast