autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 Running Hot?

There is a recomendation, I believe it is endorced by Flex, to remove the backing plate and remove the felt "O-Ring". Soak the "O-Ring" in 3-in 1 oil, lightly wipe it down using a cloth. Replace the "O-Ring" and the backing plate. This helps reduce the drag on the backing plate and heat built up. Give it a try and see if this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weed View Post
    I guess I should define burn... If my hands are touching the metal as Josh stated, for more than a second or two, it hurts, like touching a black car in the sun... not like taking your skin off or anything... maybe sometime I should get it hot and take a temp reading???
    I don't think we need an actual temperature reading.

After understanding what you guys are calling hot I think mine is probably in the ballpark but I just don't remember it getting that hot. I think the plastic shroud is supposed to insulate the user from the heat and it's also vented.

I also lubricate the felt ring with a light grease.. Maybe this helps..

Flex 3401

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I think alot of it has to do with the individual. If you work in an office all day, and your hands are baby soft, then your probally gonna feel a burn

Hope no one takes this statement the wrong way. I'm not calling you a sissy
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I don't think we need an actual temperature reading.

After understanding what you guys are calling hot I think mine is probably in the ballpark but I just don't remember it getting that hot. I think the plastic shroud is supposed to insulate the user from the heat and it's also vented.

I also lubricate the felt ring with a light grease.. Maybe this helps..

Flex 3401

Bobby, I took the plastic handle at the end off of mine, cause sometimes I use a side handle, and I will put pressure one end of the machine sometimes and if you touch the metal housing connecting the backing plate when the machine is working gets rather toasty... Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone thinking this thing was going to cause a hospital visit, but it does get much warmer than my rotaries...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think alot of it has to do with the individual. If you work in an office all day, and your hands are baby soft, then your probally gonna feel a burn

Hope no one takes this statement the wrong way. I'm not calling you a sissy
    LOL,
    Flash, you have me pegged!!! I do in fact have an office job all day unless I venture out on campus...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weed View Post
    Bobby, I took the plastic handle at the end off of mine, cause sometimes I use a side handle, and I will put pressure one end of the machine sometimes and if you touch the metal housing connecting the backing plate when the machine is working gets rather toasty... Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone thinking this thing was going to cause a hospital visit, but it does get much warmer than my rotaries...
    Tom,

No, not at all. This is really good information!

I was trying to determine why I wasn't seeing the heat many of you have been experiencing. I had no doubt that everyone was being as accurate as possible but with that plastic piece removed it appears to expose some hot spots!!

This makes allot of sense now...

Thanks Tom!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

The first Flex vgr 3401 I received got so hot the backing plate broke off. I have a new one which has been good so far but it does get very hot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm experiencing the same heat that Tom has. About as hot as a black cars paint in the sun. If you slide your hand a little too close to the metal shroud, your reflexes kick in and pull your hand away automatically. I was actually doing a 30' camper the other day and by the time i got down one side of the camper (not taking too many breaks, about 1.5 hours) the machine shut down on me. It came back up about 1 minute later, but only ran for another 10 seconds before shutting down again. I had to pull out my PC in order to finish that side. After prepping the other side (30 minutes) the flex was ready to go again and didn't shut down on that entire side. All they really need to do is put a heat sink on there instead of a solid metal shroud and I think that would help A LOT. I can just imagine this machine not lasting that long if it is getting that close to thermal shutdown so often. Especially for the price of this machine!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just debating on purchasing this machine with these heat issues I am having second thoughts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I see some of you guys have a red/black/red body flex. The one I just got is black/red and thought that the r/b/r was the 230 v. model? Whats the scoop with that?

AND glad I found this particular Flex forum.

Is the standard LCC pads what most of you use? What about the wooled backers for micro? Is there one better than another?

Thanx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast