autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex Polisher...What to do With My PC??

i thought the flex is great for applying waxxes LSPs and what not as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 1st generation one I don't use.
    ED

Post Thanks / Like

Any heat issues with Flex as other members discussed? HOw is it in removing compounds?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tianh View Post
    i thought the flex is great for applying waxxes LSPs and what not as well?
    The Flex 3401 works great for machine applying a finishing wax or paint sealant. You need a strong grip and a strong arm to hold it with one hand when doing vertical panels.

That's one benefit the PC or the GG has is that because they are smaller and lighter, they are easier to hold with one hand to apply waxes and sealants to vertical panels. The Megs unit has a tool rest sticking up where you place you hand so you can use it by gripping the head but the protrusion will poke into your hand.

With the Bail Handle removed off the Meguiar's DA Polisher, there's a built-in tool rest that keeps the polisher from tipping over if you place it on it's back with the Bail Handle removed or adjusted to the extreme forward position. While this does provide a benefit, the problem is if you use this tool without the Bail Handle, this tool rest gets pressed into your hand.

With the Bail Handle removed from the Griot's Garage DA Polisher your hand fits comfortably over the plastic housing cover the head of the polisher.

With the Bail Handle removed from the Porter Cable DA Polisher your hand fits comfortably over the plastic housing cover the head of the polisher.

Of course all of the above is using them without handles... see this thread,

Handle? Or No Handle? - Using DA Polishers Without the Handle

Quote Originally Posted by xxnonamexx View Post
    Any heat issues with Flex as other members discussed? HOw is it in removing compounds?
    Most people wipe compounds, polishes and paint cleaners off by hand, not machine. with compounds and polishes, you want to remove this right after you work them over the paint, much faster and easier to do by hand.

I think trying to use a Flex 3401 to remove compounds is going to induce micro-marring too plus load up your pad or bonnet real fast.

If you try this, please take pictures and let us know how it works for you...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like

This is where I am getting confused. Great job and explaining the Polishers. From my reading, understanding I should apply compound with the machine (example I used GG and applied compound to my vehicle and used buffer to remove the compound. After reading it appears I should place compound on car and work it in using buffer and rub off by hand. Same applies to glazes, polishes, waxes. I just want to make sure I have a better understanding this is probably the reason I was having issues removing compound from the car by machine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123