autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying the Flex or the PC?

Hello,
    been lurking on AG for a while and am ready to pull the trigger on a buffer kit. I am debating between getting the FLEX 3401 or the PC7424XP.(the wife said either is ok!!)

Are there any reasons a novice should not buy the Flex as opposed to the PC which seems to be what lots of people go for and well maybe its the cost that turns one to the PC. I do understand that one is just orbital and the other combines both orbital and rotary. Is the learning curve between the 2 of them really big?

I am someone who will save and spend a little extra on the tools I buy if I think they offer me a little better quality.

Use of this will probably be just for my personal cars, but who know I may end up doing friends also after they see mine all cleaned up. I have know problems using other power equipment with success so I am confident even though I have never really used buffer's that I would be able to adjust to either the Flex or the PC.
    I could put the savings from the Flex into a better PC kit that offers more now or I can just get the Flex and build up the extras as needed.

I am sure my mind is made up already so If your me and you have the extra to spend do you just get the FLEX?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying the Flex or the PC?

I'm no expert, but if you're a newbie then I'd start with the PC and work my way up to the Flex. Lets see if someone more experience then I chimes in though.

Post Thanks / Like

this has been covered many times. IMO and i've said it many times before, every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one DA like the PCXP, G110v2, GG6, etc. get one of those now, and you can always pick up a flex or rotary later down the line...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
    Hello,
    been lurking on AG for a while and am ready to pull the trigger on a buffer kit. I am debating between getting the FLEX 3401 or the PC7424XP.(the wife said either is ok!!)

Are there any reasons a novice should not buy the Flex as opposed to the PC which seems to be what lots of people go for and well maybe its the cost that turns one to the PC. I do understand that one is just orbital and the other combines both orbital and rotary. Is the learning curve between the 2 of them really big?

I am someone who will save and spend a little extra on the tools I buy if I think they offer me a little better quality.

Use of this will probably be just for my personal cars, but who know I may end up doing friends also after they see mine all cleaned up. I have know problems using other power equipment with success so I am confident even though I have never really used buffer's that I would be able to adjust to either the Flex or the PC.
    I could put the savings from the Flex into a better PC kit that offers more now or I can just get the Flex and build up the extras as needed.

I am sure my mind is made up already so If your me and you have the extra to spend do you just get the FLEX?

Mark
    First off, to the forum!

As far as the two, you need to determine what you are going to do with the tool. How badly swirled are your vehicles? How many vehicles are you going to detail a year?

I love my Flex and would never talk anyone out of one. However, if you are only going to do your own vehicle or two a year it may be over kill. If you are in business, you are eventually probably going to want both. If you are going to end up doing friends/family members cars, the time savings with the Flex will pay off.

The Flex works quicker then the PCXP and is very comfortable in my hands.

The PCXP or the Griots would well, are cheaper so you can afford more pads AND most importantly you can run smaller pads and backing plates that are not currently available on the Flex.

You can't go wrong with either choice, just determine what you are going to do with the machine. From personal experience, don't agonize over the decision just make it and go start !!!
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

I say go ahead and go for the best: the Flex.

The learning curve really isn't much more difficult than the PC. If you buy the PC, you will be more likely to regret that purchase than the other way around imo. Get the best right off the bat!

Besides, you already have the wife's approval for the flex *now*. Will she approve later if you already bought a PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
    Hello,

Mark
    you're doing something right. i bought the pc to start with earlier this season and i'm already thinking about the upgrade. the pc is great but i just like new toys.

Post Thanks / Like

Most PC users want to upgrade within a year ... do yourself a favor spend a little more and get the Flex first.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Most PC users want to upgrade within a year ... do yourself a favor spend a little more and get the Flex first.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never used a rotary or DA in my life !

As none are available here in India, ive ordered the Flex from AG & its just landed !

From the reviews ive read, once you use a Flex, there's no going back

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast