autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3401 on an RV

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3401 on an RV

My RV has mild oxidation and the white is "yellowing". I have been over it by hand twice with Meg 49. There is a little bit of sheen so there is hope. Not achieving the results I wanted as quick as I had hoped so I ordered a 3401. Can someone recommend a good pad(s) and product(s) combination(s) for cleaning, polishing, and waxing? Any help here would be appreciated very much.
    Thanks again!
    GT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3401 on an RV

You can go the menzerna SIP/106fa route, or megs 105/205. You will need plenty of pads, espeacially for a RV. Get some LC orange, white, soft green, grey, blue and red.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTaylor View Post
    My RV has mild oxidation and the white is "yellowing". I have been over it by hand twice with Meg 49. There is a little bit of sheen so there is hope. Not achieving the results I wanted as quick as I had hoped so I ordered a 3401. Can someone recommend a good pad(s) and product(s) combination(s) for cleaning, polishing, and waxing? Any help here would be appreciated very much.
    Thanks again!
    GT
    Surbuff pads with Meg's 105.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the yellow pads too abrasive? I have noticed that meguiar's has a kit for boat/rv restoration. Is this a kit worth considering? Are these products that are marketed for boat/rv any different than automotive finish products? Do fiberglass and gel coat surfaces require different cleaning, cutting and polishing techniques? Ahhhh, 20 questions! Don't ya' love it?!! I know someone out there has at least 19 answers! Thanks for the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the yellow pads too abrasive? I have noticed that meguiar's has a kit for boat/rv restoration. Is this a kit worth considering? Are these products that are marketed for boat/rv any different than automotive finish products? Do fiberglass and gel coat surfaces require different cleaning, cutting and polishing techniques? Ahhhh, 20 questions! Don't ya' love it?!! I know someone out there has at least 19 answers! Thanks for the help guys.
    IMO the only way to polish gel coat is with a rotary and a wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again!
    GT

The best way to figure out what you'll need for your specific application is to do a test spot. Try your Flex with a polishing pad and M49. If you're not getting the results you're looking for, then jump to a yellow pad (foam cutting) and the M49 you already have. See how that works out. You may have to do more than one pass with this combo. If that works then you may find the need to follow this more aggressive combination with a lesser one, like a polishing pad and maybe some M44 color restorer or if unavailable, some ColorX or M66. Always try the least aggressive method first (even on gel coats.) If you find that M49 ain't cutting it, then get some M67 or M91. and try them with your yellow pad and see if you can get the desired results you seek.

Unfortunately since gel coat is much tougher than automotive clear, you may need a rotary buffer to correct the finish on your RV.

Check out this link also:
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: Meguiar's Marine/RV
    Last edited by Erik Mejia; 08-03-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Typo.

Post Thanks / Like

I also found this informative link as well:
    1979 Ski Supreme ski boat - back from Davey Jones' Locker - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

It basically illustrates that even without a Rotary Buffer, you can still obtain good results on neglected gel coats using the right technique and products all with a dual action type polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

i just did a boat the other day using my flex 3401 vrg using a lake country yellow cutting pad and it cut right through the oxidation.. i was suprised.. but im not saying that will work 100%.. what i have learned from the past is that gelcoats are a monster in themselves .. its so hard to tell what will come out and what wont until you dig into it.. i have gotten the shine back on some bad RVs but it wont come back like auto paint will... unless someone on here can prove me wrong.. i hope they can cause i would love to get RVs to look as good as my vehicles.
    Donavin
    Owner of Above & Beyond Detailing Services
    888-991-9693
    http://www.AboveAndBeyondTX.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia View Post
    I also found this informative link as well:
    1979 Ski Supreme ski boat - back from Davey Jones' Locker - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

It basically illustrates that even without a Rotary Buffer, you can still obtain good results on neglected gel coats using the right technique and products all with a dual action type polisher.
    Try buffing out a 54 footer with a DA.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be using it on a 31 footer. But, it does have lots of windows and only one large surface area on the passenger side that if free from obstructions. I bought the flex because I just don't have experience to take a chance with a tool that could do significant damage. Maybe a rotary will be in my future! Has anyone here tried the meguiars maroon cutting pads on a DA? What about the 3M heavy compound? Sorry, I can't remember the exact name. The local supplier carries these two items and I was considering giving them a shot. Thanks for all your help guys!

GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast