autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex or Cyclo

Post Thanks / Like

Flex or Cyclo

OK so I have a rotary and a PC...looking for an in-between. Which is better? First off I absolutely hate the PC. Its noisy, vibrates too much and I do not like where the switch is compared to the speed dial.... I have tried the cyclo for a quick demo and loved how smooth it was. Mind you I have carpal tunnel in my wrist so vibrations irritates it. I like the fact that the flex uses 6 in pads however I know the cyclo is smooth...

But does anyone have a lot of experience with both machines? What are the pros and cons for each? And my main concern is does the flex vibrate a lot?
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex or Cyclo

For whatever it's worth...I don't have any experience with a cyclo but i LOVE my flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    For whatever it's worth...I don't have any experience with a cyclo but i LOVE my flex.
    +1
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post

What are the pros and cons for each?
    How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

The difference between a Porter Cable Polisher, Rotary Buffer, Flex 3401 and Cyclo Polisher

Part 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrdTvnZX3I]YouTube - The difference between a Porter Cable Polisher, Rotary Buffer, Flex 3401 and Cyclo Polisher[/video]

Part 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k92m5cJxCk]YouTube - How To Pick a Car Polisher - Part 1[/video]

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    And my main concern is does the flex vibrate a lot?
    You can also see it in action here,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtUaI_8HhE]YouTube - Performing a "Test Spot" to the paint on a 1957 Chevrolet Belair[/video]

The Flex 3401 has a larger orbit, or stroke, much larger than the D.A. Polisher, if you watch the body of the polisher in the above video you can see it not so much vibrate as it does wiggle, you need to hold it flat all the time or it will walk you around.

If you want the smoothest operating tool then go for the Cyclo...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the speed adjustibility of the Flex, but I would still like to find a Cyclo cheap at a garage sale.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I should have known that Mike would have a video about this. LOL....I want one of the two I just don't know which would suit me better...thanks for the advice!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the cyclo. It may be larger, but the overall operation is nice.

1) There are plenty of cyclos still running that were made in the 50's
    2) Dual 4" heads, giving you a large area of correction but at the same time, the power is concentrated.
    3) One speed. Am I the only one who secretly wishes for a turn on and go machine ? hehehe
    4) Smooooth operation

I think I will be switching my DA from PC to Cyclo this year for sure. So I might be a tad biased !
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Cyclo, less likely to burn the paint... The only problem I have with it is the power toggle, sometimes I switch it off while I'm working. It is very smooth with less noise. There are people that don't feel that it's good at doing paint correction, I disagree. I like it..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

The Flex 3401 has a larger orbit, or stroke, much larger than the D.A. Polisher.

I'm pretty sure the GG DA and Flex 3401 have the same stroke length, 5/16".
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Cyclo and have used the Flex DA. The Flex is indeed stronger, will correct faster, and with speed control. I consider it the top of the non rotary heap. The Cyclo is as smooth as they come but vertical surfaces can be quite challenging until you get the hang of it. Getting it around/under mirrors, tailights, or small areas is difficult to impossible on some cars. I love the machine regardless and have had it for years.

If I had it to do all over again now I'd get the Flex....there was no Flex when the Cyclo was purchased. Carefully centering the pad keeps vibration down, true of any machine though. The thing is that it is so stout that you don't necessarily have to run it "full throttle" all the time for correction since it's gear driven. Slower speed means less vibration. I would order it with the optional side handle.

With all that said I recently purchased the Griot's machine from AG. Why that one? Look at the spec sheet, it's quite strong and about 1/2 the price of the Flex. Using the existing pads from my PC saved me some bucks and a smaller backing plate for the PC allows me to use Cyclo pads on it for hard to reach areas. I like the machine very well and it is much stronger than I ever suspected. Do look up the specs on this site before you buy anything. I can't seem to find them right now but they are here. Might suit you, might not but check it out. I think vibration is less than the PC on speeds up to #5 and perhaps a tad more on #6. That's with 6.5" pads. I bought the model with the larger longer cord.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast