autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP!! I think I killed my flex?

Quote Originally Posted by CacheHX View Post
    haha thats what I was using...oops, thats all it came with though. it came with the hex wrench but no hex bolt.

It all makes sense now. I will just have to find a hex bolt at the hardware store, cause I need it today. anyone know the size?
    Considering that the plastic bolts fit, pull one of the metal ones from the handle and replace it with the extra plastic onr.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of y'all are missing the fact that while the GG Pad Washer can be used with any machine, it doesn't mean you can spin dry your pads with any machine. Mike Phillips and many others have already explained the hazards of using a DA to spin your pads without any pressure on them. It is an easy way to destroy pads, too. The Velcro backing on the pad isn't designed to take the kinds of forces that result from cranking up the DA and free spinning wet pads.

Use the GG Pad Washer to clean the pads, but use a circular polisher or drill attachment to spin them dry.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from balmy Northern Colorado!
    I’ve been lurking here on the forum for a while now and finally decided to make my first post. Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and experience, it’s been really helpful.
    After reading this thread, I figured it wasn’t a very good idea to use my new Flex or my PC with the GG pad washer I just bought. Besides the possibility of trashing them, I figured it was better to keep them clean and away from the water, soap and other residue altogether. It is probably ok if you’re really careful but the Flex is way too expensive to take any chances. I decided to use my Milwaukee 3/8” variable speed drill instead. The problem was that all the drill attachments I could find only worked with a rotary backing plate, all mine are DA with the 5/16-24 fine threaded spindle. I found all the parts to make a DA plate drill adapter at ACE hardware for about $4.00. It consists of a 2-1/4” cap screw with the head cut off, a rod coupling and a standard nut. After finding the oddball 5/16-24 hardware, the rest was easy. I can now just spin any size plate onto the drill and clean all my pads without worrying about destroying anything. Just have to wait for some warmer weather, maybe July, to try out the new washer. Here’s some pics. Ok, now somebody tell me they already sell these adapters somewhere and I just didn’t look hard enough! I bet mine is cheaper!!
    Kilgore
    HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-001-jpg

HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-002-jpg

HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-003-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Hello from balmy Northern Colorado!
    I’ve been lurking here on the forum for a while now and finally decided to make my first post. Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and experience, it’s been really helpful.
    After reading this thread, I figured it wasn’t a very good idea to use my new Flex or my PC with the GG pad washer I just bought. Besides the possibility of trashing them, I figured it was better to keep them clean and away from the water, soap and other residue altogether. It is probably ok if you’re really careful but the Flex is way too expensive to take any chances. I decided to use my Milwaukee 3/8” variable speed drill instead. The problem was that all the drill attachments I could find only worked with a rotary backing plate, all mine are DA with the 5/16-24 fine threaded spindle. I found all the parts to make a DA plate drill adapter at ACE hardware for about $4.00. It consists of a 2-1/4” cap screw with the head cut off, a rod coupling and a standard nut. After finding the oddball 5/16-24 hardware, the rest was easy. I can now just spin any size plate onto the drill and clean all my pads without worrying about destroying anything. Just have to wait for some warmer weather, maybe July, to try out the new washer. Here’s some pics. Ok, now somebody tell me they already sell these adapters somewhere and I just didn’t look hard enough! I bet mine is cheaper!!
    Kilgore
    HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-001-jpg

HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-002-jpg

HELP!!  I think I killed my flex?-003-jpg
    They make rotary and DA adapters for a drill..about 5 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    They make rotary and DA adapters for a drill..about 5 bucks.

Ya, that's what I figured. Who's got em'?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, that's what I figured. Who's got em'?

Thanks,
    AG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    AG
    Nope, AG doesn't carry them, have you seen them anywhere else?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, AG doesn't carry them, have you seen them anywhere else?

Thanks,
    Yes they do...

D.A to Rotary Adapter

Drill to Rotary Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I saw those, they are both for rotary backing plates with the larger 5/8"x11 thread. I'm looking for one that is for DA plates, drill shank on one end and 5/16-24 female fine thread on the other. Couldn't find a "store bought" version so I improvised.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234