autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

Flex

Power input: 900 Watts
    Power output: 590 Watt
    Orbit Rate 3200-9600 rpm
    7.5amp
    5/16 Orbit

GG

Power input 850 Watt
    7amp
    2,500 - 6,800 Orbits Per Minute
    5/16 Orbit

I would lay my money on the Flex having more power

Post Thanks / Like

O.C.Detailing, I very much appreciate all your experience and knowledge you have shared with the rest of us but I stress this as strongly as I can while making every attempt not to offend. There is no way under any circumstances that the Griots has less vibration then the Flex. I've used both and there is absolutely no question.... unless you have a defective Flex and I had a defective Griots....
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see some things never change. LOL. Adam is definitely head cheerleader for the Griot's camp. My Flex is the one so often mentioned in the "side by side" comparisons above. Since everyone has been so eager to express their opinions, how could I possibly leave mine out? But then again, does it really matter? Nope. I'm not getting rid of my Flex ... or my Makita ... or even my old PC that lays on sealant with the best of um.

So do I think the Griot's is more powerful than the Flex? Well, I know it's a lot louder!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Good to see some things never change. LOL. Adam is definitely head cheerleader for the Griot's camp. My Flex is the one so often mentioned in the "side by side" comparisons above. Since everyone has been so eager to express their opinions, how could I possibly leave mine out? But then again, does it really matter? Nope. I'm not getting rid of my Flex ... or my Makita ... or even my old PC that lays on sealant with the best of um.

So do I think the Griot's is more powerful than the Flex? Well, I know it's a lot louder!
    LOL! Well this thread certainly has a life of its own doesn't it. It's like the energizer bunny

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna chime in with my noobie opinion on these machines as i have owned both. I personally had a hard time controlling the flex. Like i said im new to detailing but never had any issues controling the old model PC, but when i moved up to the flex, it was all over the place. Now most of this was probably from bad technique or whatever, but it felt like i was in a constant battle with it, thus it took all the joy out of it. Now i have a Griots, and for"me", it is much easier to control, and so far has tackled all my correction needs. I really wanted to like the flex but it just wasnt for me. Ive never used a rotary but i would probably have issues controling it also. So i guess the best way to find out what works for you is try them both. Power and speed and all that doesnt mean a thing if you dont enjoy the machine you are using.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has turned into a no win discussion. Some like the Flex. Some like the Griots. Both are the best available DA polishers available.

So, buy what you like and be done with it.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching this thread with some interest since I recently purchased a flex. Common sense told me that forced rotation would be better. I own a PC and it will stop if the pressure is to great or the pad is wet. With the flex it never stops, even at slow speed. I am NOT a professional, only a do-ti-yourself kind of guy, so my opinion is only that "my opinion". I have not experienced that feeling of having to chase the flex around or being led by it. I find it a pure joy to use. I still use the makita rotary for deep scratches because it will correct really fast, but it is not as much fun to use as the flex. If you get a chance try the different machines and buy the one you like. I am on another forum for hand engravers (guns and jewelry) and there is a device being sold that is way more expensive than any or even all of the machines put together. There is a section on the forum where owners of the device post their location and invite others to try it out. Only after taking someone up on their offer and loving the device did I buy it. It would be nice if admin would create a spot so members that are willing, could post the machines that they would allow others to try. The forum family seems only to willing to share their knowledge with each other. Sometimes you can feel the tension in a post because of the individuals passion for their techniques, products and comitment to a company. Remember it is not a contest and you can't see expressions or body language in a post so don't read too much into them.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have been watching this thread with some interest since I recently purchased a flex. Common sense told me that forced rotation would be better. I own a PC and it will stop if the pressure is to great or the pad is wet. With the flex it never stops, even at slow speed. I am NOT a professional, only a do-ti-yourself kind of guy, so my opinion is only that "my opinion". I have not experienced that feeling of having to chase the flex around or being led by it. I find it a pure joy to use. I still use the makita rotary for deep scratches because it will correct really fast, but it is not as much fun to use as the flex. If you get a chance try the different machines and buy the one you like. I am on another forum for hand engravers (guns and jewelry) and there is a device being sold that is way more expensive than any or even all of the machines put together. There is a section on the forum where owners of the device post their location and invite others to try it out. Only after taking someone up on their offer and loving the device did I buy it. It would be nice if admin would create a spot so members that are willing, could post the machines that they would allow others to try. The forum family seems only to willing to share their knowledge with each other. Sometimes you can feel the tension in a post because of the individuals passion for their techniques, products and comitment to a company. Remember it is not a contest and you can't see expressions or body language in a post so don't read too much into them.

Mark
    I don't believe that it's aganist AG rules to post a "try out" on a particular machine. AG sells most of the buffers avalilable. You could just post the type of machine and if anyone is interested in trying it out, they could PM you for the time and place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I don't believe that it's aganist AG rules to post a "try out" on a particular machine. AG sells most of the buffers avalilable. You could just post the type of machine and if anyone is interested in trying it out, they could PM you for the time and place.
    I Know I could do that. If someone contacted me I wouldn't have a problem letting them try it. I was not only refering to my little corner of the world. I updated my user cp to reflect my location. I think there are a lot of new members that happen upon the forum, see all the cool toys and would like to take them for a test spin. I am fortunate that I live a short drive to AG so I was able to attend DF and try some cool stuff. I bought most of what I tried too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatick View Post
    So i guess the best way to find out what works for you is try them both. Power and speed and all that doesnt mean a thing if you dont enjoy the machine you are using.
    Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Remember it is not a contest and you can't see expressions or body language in a post so don't read too much into them.

Mark
    You got it. None of us built these machines so it's not like a mine is better then yours. Only our opinions (sometimes strong) about which is better for each of us.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast