autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.5"pad

Post Thanks / Like

5.5"pad

Can the 5.5" lcc pads be used on the Flex3401?
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5.5"pad

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    No, the backing plate is a 6 inch
    Last edited by HighEndDetail; 10-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

The flex backing plate is exactly 5.5 inches(just went outside to measure it for you). You can use the pad, but need to becareful. There will be no cushion on the side to bump into something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    The flex backing plate is exactly 5.5 inches(just went outside to measure it for you). You can use the pad, but need to becareful. There will be no cushion on the side to bump into something.
    Thank you so much Loudog that was very nice of you. I was wondering if there might be an availability of a different backing plate. As I already have the edge flex adapter I guess I will either use an Edge 4
    ' pad in or a 6.5 I don't think the 4" pad will make that much of a difference other than the amount of time needed to work a section as opposed to the 5.5" pad.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I asked about it here in the forum, it was the default plate or the Edge 4" plate.

The 4" would help getting in those tight spots, but I can't see using anything but the default plate most of the time.

Why are you opposed to the 6.5" pads, isn't that the point of paying extra for the Flex? It can rotate the bigger pads better then the 7424.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post
    Last time I asked about it here in the forum, it was the default plate or the Edge 4" plate.

The 4" would help getting in those tight spots, but I can't see using anything but the default plate most of the time.

Why are you opposed to the 6.5" pads, isn't that the point of paying extra for the Flex? It can rotate the bigger pads better then the 7424.
    Actually I wasn't specifically looking for 5.5" pads. I am happy with the 6.5" lcc's. And I use the 4" edge for the small panels on the Porsche which seems to be the majority of the car. My question came up out of my investigating a swirl removal pkg from MEGS. iT WAS $69.99 and consisted of m105, m205, 2mf towels and 2 5.5" orange pads. As I only had one 6.5" orange pad on hand I asked if they could modify the $69.99 pkg to include 6.5" pads instead of the 5.5" pads and I was told NO. I was told that I would have to step up to a more expensive pkg for $119.99 It had tree orange and two gray pads in 6.5". i didn't need gray pads and I didn't need three more orange pads. I just need two orange pads, the m105,m205,and some mf towels. i have several grays that haven't even been used yet not to mention that I have the grit guard pad washer.
    It seems odd that they don't offer the $69.99 type pkg for us Flex users who need 6.5" pads
    This seem to be a job for AGO'S resident super hero!!!......I need to be MEGHANIZED LOL

Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads - MG-2500
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I wasn't specifically looking for 5.5" pads. I am happy with the 6.5" lcc's. And I use the 4" edge for the small panels on the Porsche which seems to be the majority of the car. My question came up out of my investigating a swirl removal pkg from MEGS. iT WAS $69.99 and consisted of m105, m205, 2mf towels and 2 5.5" orange pads. As I only had one 6.5" orange pad on hand I asked if they could modify the $69.99 pkg to include 6.5" pads instead of the 5.5" pads and I was told NO. I was told that I would have to step up to a more expensive pkg for $119.99 It had tree orange and two gray pads in 6.5". i didn't need gray pads and I didn't need three more orange pads. I just need two orange pads, the m105,m205,and some mf towels. i have several grays that haven't even been used yet not to mention that I have the grit guard pad washer.
    It seems odd that they don't offer the $69.99 type pkg for us Flex users who need 6.5" pads
    This seem to be a job for AGO'S resident super hero!!!......I need to be MEGHANIZED LOL

Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads - MG-2500
    Ahh, it all makes sense. Meghan has always been great about working something out, give her a ring.

Btw, love the Porsche. The agreement between my wife and I is I can go to Champion Porsche when I drop my 2nd child off at college. Anyone know of a way to early enroll an 8 year old?
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the only thing you can do is buy the edge backing plate for the Flex which allows you to only use the edge pad system.But on another note supposedly and don't quote me on it.Ag has been after Flex to make other backing plates for the flex hopefully it will come about.I've been looking into doing this myself but the tooling cost are off the wall.But still looking into doing something i think being able to use other size backing plates on the flex would open a whole new chapter using the flex for paint correction
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that the Griot 6" foam polishing pad works very well with the Flex 3401. Can anyone here on AG confirm this?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to fear, but do be careful. I use 5.5" pads on my Flex 3401 - they just fit on the backing plate. I have two backing plates so I'll probably cut down the "angled" pad section on one of them to give the pad 1/4" of overhang (as is the 5.5" pad exactly fits the backing plate).

BUT there is no room for error - you must be very careful not to allow the rotating BP to touch the finish at transition points or tight areas (like around/under the mirrors).

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast