autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex L3403 Lightweight short review

So why doesn't everyone use this lightweight machine? WHy do they sell both?
    2007 Mustang GT 5-Speed
    2008 Superduty 6.4 Twin Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdutytd View Post
    So why doesn't everyone use this lightweight machine? WHy do they sell both?
    It all refers back to what Mike Phillips say "Find something you like, use it often"

Some people like the lightweight some like the heavier one it all up to the user
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to chime in with my $0.02. I just got my Flex 3401 DA last week and I don't have much experience with it since I've only been spending the past week polishing my vehicle and that's it, so my 2 cents is probably only worth $0.0002.

But here goes...the Flex is WAY more powerful than a PC7424. They are not even close in pure cutting power and speed. The Flex DA breaks the polish down faster and has much more cut. I have been comparing the two side-by-side using 106FA and the LC Hydro-Tech Tangerine Pads (6.5" for the Flex and 4" for the PC7424). The PC seems to only be able to refine the surface and make the scratches a bit less visible. The Flex just completely eliminates them.

Now my beef is that while the Flex is much smoother than the PC7424, it just keeps trying to walk on me...it's okay on horizontal panels; but side panels become very difficult to polish at speeds higher than setting 4 because it's hard to balance and the machine tries to walk no matter what, mainly because of having so much more power than a PC. It doesn't bog down or stop oscillating even under lots of pressure. I think more time will allow me to get the hang of it but overall it seems to take the same amount of effort to polish each 2x2 area, but it does give ridiculously good results.

Edit: I am definitely not buying any more machines any time soon. But for people considering or wanting the Flex DA, you should also consider what you would do when it comes time for spot-buffing or basically doing small/tight areas. You can purchase a $50 Edge adapter and use the Edge 4" pads but that's even more money to the already-expensive Flex. With the Flex light-weight rotary, you could just buy an additional smaller backing plate (which is cheaper) and use smaller pads with one machine; and you're not limited to a certain type of pad. This gives you a lot more flexibility.
    Last edited by Emile; 10-14-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    So I think I may purchase the Flex L3403 sooner or later because I really want a smooth and enjoyable polishing experience.
    one can never have enough quality power tools, and that would be a great companion with the Flex 3401...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    I'd like to chime in with my $0.02. I just got my Flex 3401 DA last week and I don't have much experience with it since I've only been spending the past week polishing my vehicle and that's it, so my 2 cents is probably only worth $0.0002.

But here goes...the Flex is WAY more powerful than a PC7424. They are not even close in pure cutting power and speed. The Flex DA breaks the polish down faster and has much more cut. I have been comparing the two side-by-side using 106FA and the LC Hydro-Tech Tangerine Pads (6.5" for the Flex and 4" for the PC7424). The PC seems to only be able to refine the surface and make the scratches a bit less visible. The Flex just completely eliminates them.

Now my beef is that while the Flex is much smoother than the PC7424, it just keeps trying to walk on me...it's okay on horizontal panels; but side panels become very difficult to polish at speeds higher than setting 4 because it's hard to balance and the machine tries to walk no matter what, mainly because of having so much more power than a PC. It doesn't bog down or stop oscillating even under lots of pressure. I think more time will allow me to get the hang of it but overall it seems to take the same amount of effort to polish each 2x2 area, but it does give ridiculously good results.

Edit: I am definitely not buying any more machines any time soon. But for people considering or wanting the Flex DA, you should also consider what you would do when it comes time for spot-buffing or basically doing small/tight areas. You can purchase a $50 Edge adapter and use the Edge 4" pads but that's even more money to the already-expensive Flex. With the Flex light-weight rotary, you could just buy an additional smaller backing plate (which is cheaper) and use smaller pads with one machine; and you're not limited to a certain type of pad. This gives you a lot more flexibility.
    Emile,

Do you think the Flex 3403 would also yield the same results as the DA, and easier to control on the vertical panels?
    The flexibility of using different pads sizes + price difference seems to swing in favor of the 3403.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrt81 View Post
    Emile,

Do you think the Flex 3403 would also yield the same results as the DA, and easier to control on the vertical panels?
    The flexibility of using different pads sizes + price difference seems to swing in favor of the 3403.
    After the class we had some time so Mike let me use the L3403 on my vette mind you i own a Pc orginal one a Makita rotary and have a Flex Da on loan.Using the L3403 on the sides of the vette was a night and day defference between the Flex and Makita the weight of the machine was the selling point.As far correction between the two they were the same.On the top panels the weight doesn't really become a factor.I know alot of detailers that like the extra weight of a Makita or a DeWalt.If you want to learn using a rotary i would skip the Flex da and spend the money saved on extra backing plates and smaller pads.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrt81 View Post
    Emile,

I would definitely hope so but I have never touched a rotary. In his last post, Harleyguy said this is definitely the case...great results and smooth polishing on vertical panels, much better than the Flex DA.

I personally went with the Flex DA because I wanted a much better machine but with the safety and familiarity of a DA polisher. My next step will be the Flex L3403, no question. I just have no idea when that will be.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    one can never have enough quality power tools, and that would be a great companion with the Flex 3401...
    Agreed. I would be an unstoppable week-end warrior.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the VVB rotary. It is superbly balanced. Not only that but the weight of the machine just makes it glide over paint while correcting. I also just like the feel of it more than a smaller buffer.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Harleyguy,

How would you compare the Flex DA against the 3403 in terms of smoothness?
    Do you experience the 'pad skipping' or 'walking away symptom' like Emile posted?

I'm about to place an order, but still torn between the Flex DA and the 3403.

Is it to assume that the 3403 would be smoother to use, than say the DA?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast