autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone wanna trade for a flex?

I dont know what it is but i cant seem to get the hang of my flex. I dont know if im just to use to using a rotary and how smooth they are. It just seems like the flex is fighting me the whole time im trying to do a car. Iv used it maybe about 6 times, its basically new.
    So if anyone wants to trade let me know. Im interested in the new PC7424XP and maybe some polishes.

Or before i get rid of it, im willing to give it one more try. Maybe you guys can recommend a pad that glides a little better or a technique you find works well. Im open to anything. I also use the CCS pads with it, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Trevor
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone wanna trade for a flex?

I have a flex and it works well with 105 and 205 and i use speed 6
    also have a rotory dont give up.

Post Thanks / Like

Give this a Shot Spray a the pad detail spray it will lubricate the pad also What I was that if turn the buff sideway on the side of cars it was a little easier to hold on to . The flex will grab if you are overloading the pad with compound and they gum up. Not saying your are I just a thought. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steven C View Post
    Give this a Shot Spray a the pad detail spray it will lubricate the pad also What I was that if turn the buff sideway on the side of cars it was a little easier to hold on to . The flex will grab if you are overloading the pad with compound and they gum up. Not saying your are I just a thought. LOL
    Im doing a tacoma as we speak. Ill give that a shot and see how it works. Thanks.
    Any pad recommendations? I heard that the kompressors are a little smoother on the flex.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I use ccs ,compressor , cobra & wool with my flex . The all work well don't think the Compresor will stand up as long as ccs . The Cobra did'nt stand up well at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a pcxp and kind of interested... just a matter how everything would work out! I have used rotaries all my life.... so give it a bit moe of a try because you will be "degrading"
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnZephyr2006 View Post
    I do have a pcxp and kind of interested... just a matter how everything would work out! I have used rotaries all my life.... so give it a bit moe of a try because you will be "degrading"

Its not the flex rotary, i should have mentioned that. Its the flex DA. I love my rotary, i use that 99% percent of the time. I just used the flex to finish with, it just feels like its trying to pull me across the car. I had a old PC and i loved it, im sure the new ones are just as nice and good quality like the old ones. If your interested just let me know. We can work something out. Iv had it for awhile and almost never use it.
    Last edited by MoparAddict; 09-19-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely use some pad conditioner as a lubricant. I've never had any problems with my flex. I've heard some people here say that it has a tendancy to run away on them as they polish, but i don't put too much pressure on the handle but still firmly hold the bail handle. I really think that that conditioning the pad makes the machine glide smoother over the paint. let us know how it works.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking technique is your hangup - I have no trouble with my 3401 and can often use it with one hand.

I found my first mistake was using it with a speed setting that was too fast. Faster is usually not better. In most cases I stay at 4.5 or less - easier to handle and better results with compounds and polishes. When applying sealant I slow it down to 2. I only use 5 to 6 when jeweling with a no cut pad.

Regarding pads, I use Lake Country, both CCS and flat. For large panels I use 6.5" but have started to use the 5.5" on narrower surfaces and really like that size - I'll be purchasing a wider mix of 5.5" pads and using them more frequently. I have two backing plates so I'll probably cut down the "angled" pad section on one of them to give the pad 1/4" of overhang (as is the 5.5" pad exactly fits the backing plate).

Regards,
    GEWB
    Last edited by gewb; 09-19-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

If your are decent with a rotary, I see no need for the FLEX DA. I have the FLEX rotary and I haven't picked up my PC since I got the hang of the rotary.

If you are just using the FLEX for finishing like you said, I think you would be better off with a 7424XP.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast