autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone wanna trade for a flex?

Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    I'm thinking technique is your hangup - I have no trouble with my 3401 and can often use it with one hand.

I found my first mistake was using it with a speed setting that was too fast. Faster is usually not better. In most cases I stay at 4.5 or less - easier to handle and better results with compounds and polishes. When applying sealant I slow it down to 2. I only use 5 to 6 when jeweling with a no cut pad.

Regarding pads, I use Lake Country, both CCS and flat. For large panels I use 6.5" but have started to use the 5.5" on narrower surfaces and really like that size - I'll be purchasing a wider mix of 5.5" pads and using them more frequently. I have two backing plates so I'll probably cut down the "angled" pad section on one of them to give the pad 1/4" of overhang (as is the 5.5" pad exactly fits the backing plate).

Regards,
    GEWB
    I agree, faster isnt always better. Iv only used it for finishing, exception for trying to do a correction once. I tried to do one correction just to see how it does. It was smooth on the hood,roof,and trunk. Once i got to the side panles, it started pulling like crazy. My forearms were soar the next day lol. I was also using the ccs 6.5 and 5.5 pads. I tried changing my pressure, angles, pads, polish, prep, even the temp outside. Nothing seem to make a difference.
    It did a good job but i can get better, faster results with a rotary. I know its operator error, Iv heard nothing but great reviews about the flex. I guess i just dont have the patience to get the learning curve down and im already very comfortable with the rotary. Thanks for your input tho, always appreciated.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    If your are decent with a rotary, I see no need for the FLEX DA. I have the FLEX rotary and I haven't picked up my PC since I got the hang of the rotary.

If you are just using the FLEX for finishing like you said, I think you would be better off with a 7424XP.
    Thats exactly what i was thinking. I never use my flex for correction. Just feels like a waste sitting in my garage not being used.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoparAddict View Post
    I agree, faster isnt always better. Iv only used it for finishing, exception for trying to do a correction once. I tried to do one correction just to see how it does. It was smooth on the hood,roof,and trunk. Once i got to the side panles, it started pulling like crazy. My forearms were soar the next day lol. I was also using the ccs 6.5 and 5.5 pads. I tried changing my pressure, angles, pads, polish, prep, even the temp outside. Nothing seem to make a difference.
    It did a good job but i can get better, faster results with a rotary. I know its operator error, Iv heard nothing but great reviews about the flex. I guess i just dont have the patience to get the learning curve down and im already very comfortable with the rotary. Thanks for your input tho, always appreciated.
    What speed do you have it on? Key to the flex is to keep it flat. Any type of angle and it starts to pull. Lower speed helps, try using it on 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    What speed do you have it on? Key to the flex is to keep it flat. Any type of angle and it starts to pull. Lower speed helps, try using it on 5.
    When im finishing down, i use it on 3 and 4 with mild pressure then ease up for the jeweling.

For the correction i was using 5 for compounding (pfw) this was actually very smooth, 6-4 for polsihing (white ccs), then 4-3 for finishing (black ccs) if i remember right. Then 2 to top with a lsp.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

You have a pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12