autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear To Flex

Post Thanks / Like

Fear To Flex

Hi everyone. I got my first AG order about a month ago. I am new to detailing and have not used the new Flex 3401 yet as both of my cars are new 2009's and didn't need any paint correction. Yesterday though I did notice after topping the 2 coats of wdgps3.0 with a coat of Fuzion that there where a few minor swirls on the hood of the Porsche...eeek. It is so upsetting as I was so meticulous through every step of the detailing. You can only see them if the light hits them in a certain way but just the fact of knowing that they are there troubles me. Now that the moment of Truth has arrived and there is a need for some paint correction the fear of inexperience is setting in. After reading many posts about the awesome power of the flex I feel a little intimidated by the red beast. I have some experience with power tools. Am I over reacting? I have a bottle of Menz. 85rd as the swirls are of a very minor nature and there are not that many of them would it be advisable to use the 85rd as a single step polish followed by an ipa wipe down and than reapply the wdgps and Fuzion? Or do I need to start off the polishing with a more aggressive polish and than go to the 85rd? My thought was to start the polishing with the 85rd and a white LC smart pad. Obviously there is nothing to be lost in practicing with the Flex on an old body panel but for this minor correction do you feel that it is really necessary as I would first have to acquire a practice body panel. Also can a glaze be applied over the Fuzion to hide the swirls until I am ready to polish them out?
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fear To Flex

I'll soon be a newbie too, with a whole set of nice "Paint Correction Toys... and when it comes to the "first time", I'll be a little nervous too.

Did you get your little scratches while applying your Paint Sealant ?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry it's simple. As long as you don't let it sit there in one spot for 5 min, your good. As with any tool, be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used my Flex 3401 successfully with PO85RD, topped with RMG and Souveran. No swirls, good depth and shine. PO85RD is a final polish without much cutting. Important to use a finishing or finessing pad, a 12, 11 or 10 rather than a more aggressive pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 GMC Denali View Post
    I'll soon be a newbie too, with a whole set of nice "Paint Correction Toys... and when it comes to the "first time", I'll be a little nervous too.

Did you get your little scratches while applying your Paint Sealant ?
    Hi and thanks for the reply, no I don't think that I got them from the application of the paint sealant as the car was pristine up until yesterday when I applied the Fuzion. They were either wash induced or perhaps there might have been a particle of dust or grit that was missed by the microfiber duster that I used before I QD'd the car prior to the application of the Fuzion.
    Good luck on your first time.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

Use a white pad with 85rd and finish down with a blue pad.

Post Thanks / Like

You can read and read until the cows come home but eventually you and only you can learn by actually doing it. If you are nervous about starting out on a high end vehicle ,then volunteer to try your new flex on a friend or relatives car. If there are no willing takers then head down to the local body shops and pick up a discarded unrepairable hood or panel.As wether or not your hood needs additional work , experience is a great teacher and with that knowledge you will eventually be able to diagnose at a glance what is needed to correct the paint to your satisfaction.
    Just an old mans 2cents.

Paul S
    Last edited by 2old2change; 08-16-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KC-BBQ View Post
    I have used my Flex 3401 successfully with PO85RD, topped with RMG and Souveran. No swirls, good depth and shine. PO85RD is a final polish without much cutting. Important to use a finishing or finessing pad, a 12, 11 or 10 rather than a more aggressive pad.
    Hey thanks for the reply and I can taste that BBQ inyou avitar that looks like some goooood eats!!!
    I have some questions pertaining to your reply:
    1) What is RMG?)
    2 All have all the different color pads from LC. I have blue, gray, red, white and orange. What are 12,11,and 10 pads? I thought that pads were color coded.

Thanks again and enjoy that BBQ
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    You can read and read until the cows come home but eventually you and only you can learn by actually doing it. If you are nervous about starting out on a high end vehicle ,then volunteer to try your new flex on a friend or relatives car. If there are no willing takers then head down to the local body shops and pick up a discarded unrepairable hood or panel.As wether or not your hood needs additional work , experience is a great teacher and with that knowledge you will eventually be able to diagnose at a glance what is needed to correct the paint to your satisfaction.
    Just an old mans 2cents.

Paul S
    Hi Paul and thanks for your reply. As far as I am concerned an old mans 2 cents is far more valuable than a young mans C note any time. Have you any more pocket change that you can spare I would love to pick your brain. Please share some tricks of the trade that you might have acquired over your many years of experience.

Thanks in advance
    Stu
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Use a white pad with 85rd and finish down with a blue pad.
    Thanks for the advice, that seemed to be what I had in mind and I am glad that you confirmed it for me. As far as my using the Flex for the first time do you think that I am over reacting?
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast