autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear To Flex

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fear To Flex

Mmmm... a Body Shop.

That's actually a great idea !

My Next-door Neighbor works at a Ford Dealership that has an Auto-Body department right next door.

I might ask him to bring home a "Fender" or a "Hood".
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have some very nice vehicles, I would not try using the Flex until you are use to a PC, if that is what you have. Once you are use to the PC, then you can switch over to a Flex. I had worries myself, however, it was not going from a PC to a Flex. I just needed to make sure the Flex was able to lock in a speed with out holding the trigure. fyi - The main finger on my right hand is busted, so, I needed to make sure I could lock in a speed.

The Flex is WAY BETTER than the PC, in my opinion. Once I made the switch, I quite using the PC on vehicles. I only use the PC for carpets and/or seats.

My $.02

Stephen
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used my new Flex for the first time this weekend and wasn't blown away with the results. I just sold my PC and made the upgrade since I am slowly getting into the mobile detailing business. What are the biggest advantages of the Flex over the PC? The Flex was a good bit heavier and wore on my back after a full polish/wax detail of a full-sized truck. Any tips on how to save my back? I still noticed a decent number of swirl marks (did cut them down significantly), but for a $280 polisher I guess I was expecting near miracles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lilskeezer View Post
    I used my new Flex for the first time this weekend and wasn't blown away with the results. I just sold my PC and made the upgrade since I am slowly getting into the mobile detailing business. What are the biggest advantages of the Flex over the PC? The Flex was a good bit heavier and wore on my back after a full polish/wax detail of a full-sized truck. Any tips on how to save my back? I still noticed a decent number of swirl marks (did cut them down significantly), but for a $280 polisher I guess I was expecting near miracles.
    You need to work harder, if there were swrils left. I have back problems too and wear a back brace when detaliling, especially the lower panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lilskeezer View Post
    You just need some more practice and time to learn technique with it. I bet the first time using a PC, you didn't get the results you can now using it. I know myself that I get ALOT more done per pass with a PC than I did when I first got it
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Use a white pad with 85rd and finish down with a blue pad.
    I have to agree with you Rsurfer, a white pad followed by a blue does seem to be the way to go as far as I feel also. Isn't the rule of thumb always start with the least agressive method and upgrade if needed. It's always worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply and I can taste that BBQ inyou avitar that looks like some goooood eats!!!
    I have some questions pertaining to your reply:
    1) What is RMG?)
    2 All have all the different color pads from LC. I have blue, gray, red, white and orange. What are 12,11,and 10 pads? I thought that pads were color coded.

Thanks again and enjoy that BBQ
    That BBQ---when it's a good cut of meat, it's hog heaven! And it usually is a good cut of meat.

1) RMG is ClearKote's Red Moose Glaze.
    2) Based on Lake Country's specifications as shown on their own website. I've provided two links below which I have found useful. Best of luck!

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/applic...tion-guide.pdf

D.A. Foam Pads - Specifications | Lake Country Manufacturing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Use a white pad with 85rd and finish down with a blue pad.

What does this mean? Finish down??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrflake View Post
    I have to agree with you Rsurfer, a white pad followed by a blue does seem to be the way to go as far as I feel also. Isn't the rule of thumb always start with the least agressive method and upgrade if needed. It's always worked for me.

Wait! White pad followed by the blue pad is know as finishing down, correct? But, you later say that the rule of thumb is to start with least aggressive which is the blue or red and upgrading if needed to white, so which is it? This really confuses people.

When wet sanding you should use the lowest grit which creates more scratch and allow you to knock out the rough areas and then finish down to the highest grit which has less scratch and help smooth the surface. The same should apply for paint correction (orange pad with M105,white pad 205, red or blue with Menz 85rd or 3M Ultrafina) This is finishing down in my opinion. I have a hard time understanding the method of using the least aggressive and working up to the most aggressive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12