autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot Flex?

Mine gets hot also. Do you have a PC? If you do, use that next time and feel the metal under the plastic cover. It gets too hot to touch also. Remember that the more pressure you use, the hotter it will get. Since it's working harder to keep up the speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a little concerned I guess. I have been around power tools most of my life, and nothing has ever gotten as hot as this Flex gets. I'll break out the oil next go 'round with it and see if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

My Flex got very very hot the last time I used it, however, this is in South Florida and the ambient temperature in the shade was about 90°F that afternoon. The backing plate was actually hot enough to transfer heat and affect the polish in the middle of the pad, so I gave up and resumed the next morning. The pad was very hot, even hotter than I have ever felt with a rotary-- so the polishes were very hard to work with.

Combined with the high ambient heat, polishes that didn't seem to work well, I feel that it was not a good day to polish after 11am due to the temperatures.

Never had this problem before, but then again, I wouldn't work on my own cars in that heat. I was just being nice and preparing the exterior of a Boxster S as a favor, since the owners were going to a regional PCA event that week. Of course, the skies opened up the next day after I polished and it hasn't stopped raining since!

Post Thanks / Like

I oiled the felt ring within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box due to the recommendations seen here on AG. The silver housing still gets to hot to keep my hand on there. Do I need to move up to greasing the ring?

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Flex? - DetailCity.org - Auto Detailing & Car Care Forum

Just a little observation on my Flex this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Who treated you like you were incompetent?

The flex heats up. I've never had a issue with it. The oil is used to keep the felt ring from burning the backing plate. There were issues before, with the backing plate being burned, while working a panel on a angle(like a rotary).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Who treated you like you were incompetent?

The flex heats up. I've never had a issue with it. The oil is used to keep the felt ring from burning the backing plate. There were issues before, with the backing plate being burned, while working a panel on a angle(like a rotary).

Just that your answers are pretty basic and seem to approach the issue like I am brand new to this.

For example - the Flex heats up. Um, yeah. I know. That's why I am trying to get answers. Answers a little more in depth than "deal with it." If you've never had an issue with it, great. I am taking issue with the fact that it seems extremely hot. If you can't offer anything more helpful than "it gets hot," you're not really helping me much. Just my take on your answers. Heck, at least you took the time to answer.

It appears either no one else in the world has had this issue or that no one has noticed it enough to seek out an answer. I guess I'll contact Flex or their US distributor. Maybe it's normal operating temps, maybe not. If it's not, I'd sure like to know before I trash a nearly $300 machine.
    Last edited by jaredpointer; 05-31-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned it was a good idea to oil/grease the felt ring anyway. I didn't say it would cut down the heat. It wasn't in the manual like you said. Meaning you didn't know about it, so what, you don't like other advice? Did that make you feel incompetent? Sorry, I was only trying to help.

Yes, mine gets hot. But over the years it hasn't hurt anything, or broken down from the heat. That's the point I was getting across.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I mentioned it was a good idea to oil/grease the felt ring anyway. I didn't say it would cut down the heat. It wasn't in the manual like you said. Meaning you didn't know about it, so what, you don't like other advice? Did that make you feel incompetent? Sorry, I was only trying to help.

Yes, mine gets hot. But over the years it hasn't hurt anything, or broken down from the heat. That's the point I was getting across.
    I think you should go out and buy an infrared temperature gun and take readings during use,also included what pad you were using and what temperture they were.I also like to know the outside temperture and humidity we can draw up a excell or power point chart and plot this.Hopefully someone can put an end to this flex problem if there is even a problem.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I need a new extension cord and was wondering what gauge to get. A simple search found this thread. Gonna pick up a 12 gauge. Thanx guys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast