autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot Flex?

I haven't used it for an extended period since I got the new cord.
    Last edited by termigator; 05-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine gets hot on the silver housing right above the backing plate. I have not noticed the backing plate touching the housing or the felt.

It gets hotter than what I would think would be appropriate. I think I will try a larger gauge cord and see if that helps to ease the heat. Also, someone told me that a drop or two of oil may be needed somewhere in the backing plate gears.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using a heavy gauge extension cord when using my Flex. I used it for around two hours, and while it might have ran a little bit cooler, the silver housing still got very warm to the touch. So warm, at times, that it was uncomfortable if touched.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the heat this weekend. After finishing 1/2 of an Infininty I35, the silver casing was so hot, I couldn't touch it. I'm using a standard 3-prong extension cord and the cord did NOT heat up. The heat seemed to transmit through the pad as well.

My max speed was 5 and all the work was done in a covered garage.

Should I oil the gear itself or just the felt ring? It doesn't seem normal for it to get that hot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a newbie here and I just got my Flex last week. I used it over the Memorial Day weekend getting the finish on my Camry back to looking new...or better. I also noticed that the Flex got hot, but I didn't have anything to compare it to so I assumed it was normal. You can feel the heat blowing out of the housing vents. I think that's one reason for the plastic cover over the housing...to sheild you from the heat. At least that's my theory. I have a heavier extension chord than the one I was using, I'll have to try that next time.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to hear from someone who knows (possibly someone at Autogeek) whether or not this is normal, and whether or not oiling the felt ring and/or gears in the housing helps to alleviate the heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpointer View Post
    I would really like to hear from someone who knows (possibly someone at Autogeek) whether or not this is normal, and whether or not oiling the felt ring and/or gears in the housing helps to alleviate the heat.
    You should oil the felt ring anyway. I apply a lithium grease to it every couple uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    You should oil the felt ring anyway. I apply a lithium grease to it every couple uses.
    Is this mentioned anywhere in the Flex manual? Just curious - I don't recall seeing it there, only on a couple of forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Not mentioned in the manual. But, it helps avoid the past issues the flex had. If the professionals are doing it. People that use it daily are doing it. Why not do it? It can't hurt anything, only help. I do it, and have had no issues.
    Even the PC gets hot. You just don't notice because the housing is covered by plastic, not metal. Imagine running a saw for 5 min straight, then off for 2 min, then back on for 5 min. All this for about 4 hours. That saw would be hot also.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying it would hurt anything - I am trying to determine if there is a possible issue with a machine I paid $300 for. Most likely, I will try putting some oil on there to see if it helps.

Just as cross-reference, how hot does your Flex housing get when using it? Mine is uncomfortably hot - to the point of not being able to touch it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast