autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Does your paint like your Flex?

Those of you who own a Flex 3401, have you experienced problems polishing a Honda S2000 in Berlina black with it? I worked a large part of the day Thursday and Friday morning on the driver-side door; and no matter what polish or pad I used, no matter what speed I chose (speed 4 and 5--I did not try speed three or below nor did I venture to speed 6), it left behind a scouring or hazing of the paint. The polishes I tried: SwirlX, M205, and M80. The pads I used: Soft Buff 2.0 polishing pad, Soft Buff 2.0 finishing pad.

Here is what the paint looked like after M205 and a finishing pad:

No doubt the problem is my technique. I invite any and all suggestions on the proper use of the Flex. The front end of my car has been re-painted, and I was able to effectively polish it with M105 (polishing pad) and M205 (finishing pad). But I got no where with the Flex on the original factory painted panels. I do not know if other Hondas are like this. All I know is that MY S2000 is like this. I am weary, exhausted, discouraged. This is not what I was hoping for for this spring detail.

On the advice of Mike Phillips, I finally switched back to my G110. The paint responded well to the M205 applied by the G110 with a polishing pad, and I was able to restore the door and to effect a decent polishing of the other original factory-painted panels, though without significant paint correction. I had neither the time nor energy nor confidence to attempt more effective correction. I also wanted to go back over the original paint panels with M205 and a finishing pad, but after two and a half days of detailing, I had simply run out of steam. It was time to bring the marathon session to a close.

I gave the car an ONR rinse (for some reason my car had become a dust magnet) and pulled out my tub of Fuzion. It is a joy to apply. I love the wet look it bestows.

I am weary, exhausted, frustrated, discouraged. This is not what I was hoping for for this spring detail. I requested the Flex (it was given to me as a present) precisely to take my S2000 to a higher level. This I failed to accomplish, at least on the factory-painted half of the car.

I welcome your suggestions and counsel. TIA.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by akimel; 04-13-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does your paint like your Flex?

You are using too aggressive of a polish/pad combo. Step it down, its well known that Honda black paints are extremely soft. You can get decent correction with a finishing pad and polish so try that first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    You are using too aggressive of a polish/pad combo. Step it down, its well known that Honda black paints are extremely soft. You can get decent correction with a finishing pad and polish so try that first.
    I used M205 with a finishing pad. The pics show the result I got.

Any comments from Flex users? Do I need to simply abandon the Flex for the original factory painted panels and restrict myself to the G110? Would different polishes work better with the Flex? Was I using the machine incorrectly?

How can I get better results?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a problem yet. I thought I read on another forum, that some people where having problems, with the M205 finishing down. I can't remember if it was on softer paints or the machine they were using. I'll have to try and find it.

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It almost looks like the polish is not completely broke down. It's hard to tell from the pics though.
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've had it happen on a few cars now. I just grab the rotary or find a different polish that will work with that particular paint.

You could always try polishing by hand too Al!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I haven't had a problem yet. I thought I read on another forum, that some people where having problems, with the M205 finishing down. I can't remember if it was on softer paints or the machine they were using. I'll have to try and find it.
    Someone mentioned that exact issue over at DC not too long ago.

And I don't think M205 "breaks down." From what I have read about it, it is very dependent on the amount of pressure you use and with what pad you use it with.