autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex lube....necessary?

So what is the consenus on the necessity of lubing the Flex? Been reading about it on and off this winter. I see one post where:

1. The internal gear is lubed with existing grease (294.357)
    2. 3 drops of synthetic oil in the assembly (322.105, 259.148 and 104.949)
    3. Internal gear parts with synthetic grease (322.083 and .156)
    4. Light coat of synthetic grease on and around plastic gears (328.200 and 322.121)
    5. 12 drops of light machine oil on felt ring
    6. 8 mm bolt and hole coated with grease.
    7. A start washer added between the washer and bolt head (255.964 and 278.254)

I just want to make sure all this is taken care of prior to the Spring, if necessary. What do you think?

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex lube....necessary?

I have had my Flex for approx 1 Year and have put many hours on it. The only problem I had was with the backing plate being slightly loose (I never tightened it when I got it) and when I put pressure on it the backing plate began to rub and it melted slightly and smoked at the time. I tightened the nut and wal-lah! I haven't had a problem since. I did not lube anything and it works perfectly! I had purchased a new Backing plate from AG and then was informed to notify the distributor so I did and they sent me a free backing plate so now I have 2 extra ones although I am still using the original one and going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they are being lubed better from the factory since the original backing plate issue. As offered most need to follow the directions before first use and tighten the backing plate for best use. The lube suggestion was for the felt ring under the backing plate if you noticed it moving or touching under side of backing plate and believed to be extremely limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know I should be orderin mine end of this month

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    As offered most need to follow the directions before first use and tighten the backing plate for best use.
    agreed, and lube it as well. better safe than sorry, you can never be to sure with any tool these days...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conan777 View Post
    I have had my Flex for approx 1 Year and have put many hours on it. The only problem I had was with the backing plate being slightly loose (I never tightened it when I got it) and when I put pressure on it the backing plate began to rub and it melted slightly and smoked at the time. I tightened the nut and wal-lah! I haven't had a problem since. I did not lube anything and it works perfectly! I had purchased a new Backing plate from AG and then was informed to notify the distributor so I did and they sent me a free backing plate so now I have 2 extra ones although I am still using the original one and going strong.
    Several posts on AG and elsewhere pointed to the bp bolt coming loose after a while - that is why I added the internal star washer to reduce the likelyhood of that problem.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I believe they are being lubed better from the factory since the original backing plate issue. As offered most need to follow the directions before first use and tighten the backing plate for best use. The lube suggestion was for the felt ring under the backing plate if you noticed it moving or touching under side of backing plate and believed to be extremely limited.
    Looking at the design of the 3401, the felt ring should be in contact with the flat of the backing plate - it acts as a seal to keep the abrasive dust out of the internals. If the felt doesn't do this you will prematurely wear out the planetary ring gear and the roller bearing.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."