autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: burn my paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: burn my paint?

Someone give it a shot on their car with a 4 inch pad. I'll be the first to say "Not it".

Post Thanks / Like

Like said above use a 4 inch pad, orange, yellow with some compound. I will be waiting on the Flex, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Like said above use a 4 inch pad, orange, yellow with some compound. I will be waiting on the Flex, thanks.
    While I'd never use a cutting pad on the PC, I believe I have some 5" orange ones that came free with the unit collecting dust somewhere. I pull out my test hood tomorrow and see if we can burn some paint. I try it with some M105 and then without anything at all. I don't have a video camera but my point and shoot should be sufficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

O.K., you don't have to prove it to me, I know it is possible. My point is before making a statement that the pc can not burn paint, you should make sure it is a 100% fact. Just because you haven't burned the paint with a pc doesn't mean it isn't possible. Will it take longer than a rotary, yes, can the pc burn paint yes. As far as a pc easier to use than a rotary, that is up for debate. I feel there really isn't much difference if you pay attention to what you are doing. It isn't the tool that causes the problems, it is the user. It just gets old seeing people post that you need to start with a pc before getting a rotary, that is bs. Any tool can do damage in the right hands or someone that doesn't pay attention to what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

The pc is just a simple tool that any idiot can throw at their car and either have to be trying or do something completely dumb to cause any real damage to the finish. At the same token, it is almost completely ineffective at removing anything but the slightest of imperfections.

While it is not 100% safe in the hands of 100% of the people, it is a good learning tool and probably the safest (not easiest or most effective) to use for any beginner. I have never used a rotary, but I would like to try it out on a junker or a panel from u-pull-it or something before I make the jump to replace my da and pads. I did get to try a flex 3401 at sema and I liked it over the pc, but it still will never be as effective as a rotary, and from watching and asking questions to the other detailers at sema the technique is exactly the same with amazing results that neither a pc, udm or flex can accomplish. Not to mention a lot faster.

What i'm trying to get at here is that a pc is not better than a rotary in any way, but is much more forgiving when you make a mistake or are trying to learn the process. Thus being the machine most recommended to beginer detailers.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K., you don't have to prove it to me, I know it is possible. My point is before making a statement that the pc can not burn paint, you should make sure it is a 100% fact. Just because you haven't burned the paint with a pc doesn't mean it isn't possible. Will it take longer than a rotary, yes, can the pc burn paint yes. As far as a pc easier to use than a rotary, that is up for debate. I feel there really isn't much difference if you pay attention to what you are doing. It isn't the tool that causes the problems, it is the user. It just gets old seeing people post that you need to start with a pc before getting a rotary, that is bs. Any tool can do damage in the right hands or someone that doesn't pay attention to what they are doing.
    Well I already made the video so here you go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMy3j5MatM]YouTube - 08GMC 047.AVI[/video]
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, drat. I was hoping it would burn through just so I could see what a burn-through looks like. But at least Rasky is saved, at this point, from having to give Rocket a new Flex. But if you're in the mood, Rasky, to give away Flexes, I'd be happy to be gifted by one.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    Well, drat. I was hoping it would burn through just so I could see what a burn-through looks like. But at least Rasky is saved, at this point, from having to give Rocket a new Flex. But if you're in the mood, Rasky, to give away Flexes, I'd be happy to be gifted by one.

Al
    LOL.

Well burn-through it can do. I just don't believe it can actually burn, or melt the paint like a rotary. If it can be done I'd love to see it, and would happily admit being wrong. But the simple fact is that I held it in one spot for about 90 seconds with no damage, and it was not even close to the temp needed to melt paint. I mean you can hold the unit on your hand, and it doesn't even hurt, how is it supposed to melt paint?

Post Thanks / Like

There you just pointed it out that it will burn the paint. Never heard of melting the paint and I have been using a rotary for over 20 years and have wet sanded over a 1000 cars. So I will be expecting a Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

There you just pointed it out that it will burn the paint. Never heard of melting the paint and I have been using a rotary for over 20 years and have wet sanded over a 1000 cars. So I will be expecting a Flex.
    I think maybe you missed post #13 and #20.

I grew up with a father who owned a body shop, located in my back yard, and I was wet sanding and buffing cars at 14. I have about 19 years experience myself, which started on a rotary.

Again, I'll happily admit I'm wrong if someone can prove it.
    Last edited by RaskyR1; 11-24-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast