autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which polisher?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • FLEX LK603VVB

1 2.38%
  • FLEX L3403 VRG

17 40.48%
  • Other

24 57.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Debating on a Flex

IM CONFUSED....YOU GUYS SAY FLEX ISNT A ROTARY....doesnt flex MAKE a rotary? or are you talking about the flex DA polisher?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

gotcha. I have an UDM. Ive learned what this machine can do and really want a rotary now. I find that with the right pad and product you CAN get great results but at the expense of ALOT of time! It's like cleaning your whole driveway with a water pistol.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks, new guy here. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy the Flex, but I still need some reassurance about this backing plate thing. Many have suggested that I will need to oil the felt liner. What exactly does this entail? Please keep in mind that I've never actually touched a Flex, just seem them in pictures. Do I oil both sides? Where is this felt pad exactly in relation to the backing plate, machine and foam pad?

Sorry for the lame questions. This sounds like a terrific machine, just the ticket for me, I guess I just need a bit more information/confidence before I go. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

hey zoran, was there any situation/job where you couldn't remove the defects with the Flex and have to step up to the rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

both machines have their place, and as with any machine practice will help make you better. No wrong choice ..

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i recently bought a Flex 3403....i own a Dewalt, Makita and snap on rotaries as well as a Megs G110....since i have purchased my 3403 i have basically abandoned the larger rotaries and have yet to find a situation that the Lil flex couldnt handle....

its smooth, comfortabble in your hands, everything is in the right spot, its light and fits in tight places, runs cool.....it is my new go to tool when polishing paint..we will see this spring how it fares on Gelcoat when boat season is in full swing.....

i know its a little pricey for a small rotary but IMHO you get what you pay for...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Felt lining is inserted into metal housing, it is hidden by a bp. There is a pic floating around but even without it once you get Flex and take off bp it will be immediately obvious. On the first look it does not look like lining as it is almost flush with housing but if you pull it out you will see it is a ring of felt.

You are, of course, interested that side that might touch bp is lubricated. Which means if you are using liquid lubricants they will get soaked in by whole felt anyway, and if you use dry one you want to concentrate on side toward bp.

If you are unsure just call PowerHouse (they are main distributor and repair center, their number is in Flex manuals) as they are ones that are suggesting this solution and they will guide you through it.
    I just received my Flex 3401 today. You were right, it is immediately obvious once I got it in my hands. I will lube this ring right away. Are you still recommending the use of two washers?...this would seem to me to be a good idea to give just a bit more clearance. BTW, my BP was not tightened down securely when I received it, a prudent precaution for all new users.

This feels like a good solid machine, glad I purchased it, can't wait to get started.
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123