autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ordering Flex 3401 - Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Why anti long throw? If you’re doing a 3” it’s the perfect mate. I’d only do a 8mm rotation if I wasn’t getting a mini.

Also lots of complaints on G8. I would do g13. I’ve tried both and it is a superior machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Idk this is becoming quickly very overwhelming. Everyone has a different opinion of course. That said after many hours of research it seems a lot more people complain about pad stalling and issues with long throw vs those that recommend it. Even Mike Phillips seems to be a much bigger advocate of forced rotation over these long throw polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Didn’t recommend cordless…

FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher

Ahhh okay my apologies. So that’s the model to get then…

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Ahhh okay my apologies. So that’s the model to get then…
    I'm looking at that one, and it doesn't look like you can use the smaller 3401 backing plate that people have mentioned. What I see is it comes with a 6" backing plate, and that you can install the 5" backing plate from the long throw machine, but not the 5.5" one that goes on the 3401, or the ~4.5" one that you can get for the 3401. The Hercules is compatible with the 3401 backing plates. Maybe someone else can confirm/clarify the backing plate sizes/compatibility.

PS Also, I presume the Hercules backing plate is actually 5.5 like the 3401, even though the documentation implies it's 6"

Post Thanks / Like

6.5 LC force pads are what i use on my flex supa beast(aka 10-8 125). White and orange.

I also run the 6 inch backing plate. 9 times outta 10 you can just run the pad up on edge in a small area. And if the are still need something smaller, then i toss on a 3 inch pad on my flex rotary.

I feel those two machines will take care of damn near anything one might come across.

Using free spinning da machines, weither 5-6inch or 1-3 inch pads are so time consuming and slow.

If you are looking to paint correct more than a vehicle or two a year..and can afford it, imho i feel the best decision is to just get a flex supa beast, then if the need arises later down the road...get a rotary.(flex imo)

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want to stay within the flex family (and don't mind spending more), a great choice would be the 3401/supa beast and the pxe 80 and you will have all your basis covered. there's also a flexible shaft extension for the pxe 80 which will allow you to use little conical/cylindrical pads for the intricate tighter areas...
    i am the jump starter.

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    6.5 LC force pads are what i use on my flex supa beast(aka 10-8 125). White and orange.

I also run the 6 inch backing plate. 9 times outta 10 you can just run the pad up on edge in a small area. And if the are still need something smaller, then i toss on a 3 inch pad on my flex rotary.

I feel those two machines will take care of damn near anything one might come across.

Using free spinning da machines, weither 5-6inch or 1-3 inch pads are so time consuming and slow.

If you are looking to paint correct more than a vehicle or two a year..and can afford it, imho i feel the best decision is to just get a flex supa beast, then if the need arises later down the road...get a rotary.(flex imo)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I will go with the 6.5 LC Force Pads. Do you find that the orange pad finishes well or do you have to follow up with something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you want to stay within the flex family (and don't mind spending more), a great choice would be the 3401/supa beast and the pxe 80 and you will have all your basis covered. there's also a flexible shaft extension for the pxe 80 which will allow you to use little conical/cylindrical pads for the intricate tighter areas...
    Yea that is exactly what I was thinking. Supa Beast + PXE80 would be an awesome combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I will go with the 6.5 LC Force Pads. Do you find that the orange pad finishes well or do you have to follow up with something else?
    The orange has always finished down without needing to go further for me. I do mostly only use orange for one step corrections where a white pad is not agressive enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The orange has always finished down without needing to go further for me. I do mostly only use orange for one step corrections where a white pad is not agressive enough

Fantastic thanks! I will likely just order the orange pads for now then.

Post Thanks / Like

Idk this is becoming quickly very overwhelming. Everyone has a different opinion of course. That said after many hours of research it seems a lot more people complain about pad stalling and issues with long throw vs those that recommend it. Even Mike Phillips seems to be a much bigger advocate of forced rotation over these long throw polishers
    No definitely force rotation is better at anti stall and other positives and benefits. I have a g15…. Love it. Going cordless so bought a c beast.

My comment was vs the G9. Paired with a 3” a g15 will perform better for you. For a novice less chance of burn through with a free spinning DA. You seem to be looking at quality products and I promise you’ll be happy no matter what you order.

Mike Phillips prefers flex because he does a lot of cars and a flex will definitely polish faster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast