autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF going after the 3401

Rigid is very popular in Alberta, Canada. Something like the Texas of Canada, when it comes to oil.

Westward is also a popular working man's brand in Alberta.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=PaulMys;1773575][QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1773569]Harbor Freight has come a long way.

For sure.

Some of you might remember that I was a marine mechanic for over 20 years until I hurt back in early 2017.

At that time, I had probably 80-90k worth of Snap-On, MAC, and MatCo tools. So I know exactly what good tools are.

After my injury I sold all of my tools to keep my household afloat without dipping into our savings. (That hurt. Lol)

Fast-forward 6 years, and I have been slowly rebuilding my tool collection with stuff from HF, TEKTON, GearWrench, and a few Amazon offerings.

The ICON line at HF has really impressed me, as have some Pittsburgh hand tools. And their US General tool box line is WAY better than any big box store models IMO.

I have also bought a couple of Bauer power tools. (1/2" hammer drill and jigsaw). For homeowner use, they can't be beat for the price.

You're right, Ric. HF has come a VERY long way.

With your use of the big brands that’s saying a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes PaulMys, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have yet to buy a Hercules tool, but many, many tool guys I trust on YT and other forums rave about them.

Not to start any kind of war here, but I believe that FLEX has become like Snap-On. Just adding to their prices based on their names.

$550 for a polisher? Come on, dude. You can buy a gasoline-powered Honda or Toro push-mower for that price.

Snap-on? I just read their latest flyer. A 14-piece 3/8"-drive Torx socket set is $425. (Not a typo).

10-piece Flank Drive wrench set (10mm-19mm) $735. (Again, not a typo.)

Both companies are top-notch, but are starting to price themselves out of business (sales).
    I've got a 24mm flank drive wrench I bought so many years ago I don't remember how long its been. (Paul, Don't you go makin fun of my MummleMeter wrenches... ) What I do remember was that one wrench was $65. Absurd on it's own, but you're paying extra to know that if you break it, with one phone call your tool guy will be there that day with a replacement (at least the good ones will).

For your average wrench turner, they absolutely don't make sense. But when it's how you get your paychecks, the difference in tolerances and strength pay off when the going gets tough. Just payed as much for a crows foot socket as you could get a whole set for, but these won't spread under load (No jokes please, this is a family show!). I totally support the idea of picking up a basic set from wherever you want and replacing the weak links as you find them with something of a higher caliber.

All that being said, I've bought way fewer Snap On tools in the last 5-10 years than ever before. Partially because the basic needs have been covered, partially because the Snap On guys that come to our shop have zero creativity or flexibility to try and find something I might actually need. That's great you have half inch sockets and punches on sale - I've had your set of both since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I know that Snap On used to use USA manufacturers for a lot of their products. I think they are getting some stuff from China and Taiwan now.

I think it depends on how often you use a tool. For an average homeowner who uses something a couple times a month the tool truck stuff is a waste of money. Take Dewalt vs Hercules, the real savings is in the battery cost. I have some older Bauer stuff and it was OK. The brushless Hercules is a step up. I think the Hercules is more closely comparable to Ridgid.
    Definitely seeing more countries of manufacture, especially for pretty much any tool that's not a chunk of steel.

5. Thanks vaced thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Icon tool boxes look great. And those wood top tool boxes make for great portable kitchen Islands in a variety of colors.

Post Thanks / Like

"HF going after the 3401"

Cmon, why not go after the PXE 80

8. Likes Daviddear30 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is very interesting, I was thinking about purchasing the Flex 3401, definitely gonna check this out
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Flex products are good, but way overpriced here in Australia.

The cordless 3401 cousin is over $1,000.

Maybe a good thing for Flex to get sober with this offer.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Went into my local HF today. Not in stock, so I'm ordering one and will pick it up at the store! Review will be coming...sometime.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Went into my local HF today. Not in stock, so I'm ordering one and will pick it up at the store! Review will be coming...sometime.
    I'll be interested in your professional opinion. Love my old Cyclo, but it's a heavy sucker.

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly no one posted a photo or a link for this product ..!

Flex 3401 & PE14

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast