autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex XCE Super beast - Will I get a better final finish with a DA or Rotary ?

I now have my Super beast, not used it yet. But can it really do everything including final finishing to a point where it leaves the finish as good as any other type of machine? I mean in leaving that high gloss/Jewelled type finish ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XCE Super beast - Will I get a better final finish with a DA or Rotary ?

All depends on the paint and pad type. It's a good machine but I have always found finishing with my Rupes 21mm to be a lot easier on delicate paint.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XCE Super beast - Will I get a better final finish with a DA or Rotary ?

It will be Audi paint so pretty hard really. I wont have another machine, so wondered what my options would be ? Soft pad and finishing polish on a slow speed ?

Mike Phillips

Good question, I actually answered this topic as to whether a gear-driven orbital polisher or a free spinning random orbital polisher will finish better back in 2012.

See post #32 in this thread,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post809378

Here's the question and for those that don't know (because the Meguiar's G100 is not longer made), the Meguiar's G100 is an 8mm FREE SPINNING random orbital polisher. And the FLEX 3401 he's reffering to is an 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Amos View Post

What made you decide to finish out with the Meguiar's G110 vs the Flex 3401?

Pad size selection or the non forced rotation maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Good question...

I find on softer paints like this car has that the PC style with a Fine Cut Polish finishes out nicer than with the more powerful Flex 3401.

The paint on this car was incredibly soft.

I only did my test spot using the Flex 3401 and end-results were acceptable, I did the 8mm free spinning step just to "make sure".

I also machine applied the wax using the Meguiar's G110 polisher.

Saw this car recently while working on a Maserati, still looks just like it looks in the pictures.

So I can't answer for others but since 2012 it's been my opinion that when it comes to soft paints - any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher will finish out nicer than any brand of gear-driven orbital polisher when all other factors are the same.

5. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Good question, I actually answered this topic as to whether a gear-driven orbital polisher or a free spinning random orbital polisher will finish better back in 2012.

See post #32 in this thread,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post809378

Here's the question and for those that don't know (because the Meguiar's G100 is not longer made), the Meguiar's G100 is an 8mm FREE SPINNING random orbital polisher. And the FLEX 3401 he's referring to is an 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Amos View Post

What made you decide to finish out with the Meguiar's G110 vs the Flex 3401?

Pad size selection or the non forced rotation maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Good question...

I find on softer paints like this car has that the PC style with a Fine Cut Polish finishes out nicer than with the more powerful Flex 3401.

The paint on this car was incredibly soft.

I only did my test spot using the Flex 3401 and end-results were acceptable, I did the 8mm free spinning step just to "make sure".

I also machine applied the wax using the Meguiar's G110 polisher.

Saw this car recently while working on a Maserati, still looks just like it looks in the pictures.

So I can't answer for others but since 2012 it's been my opinion that when it comes to soft paints - any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher will finish out nicer than any brand of gear-driven orbital polisher when all other factors are the same.

7. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I would also add that after using all of the most common and popular polishers on the market I do believe that the 21mm long stroke polishers will finish out best on any paint system.

And again - when all other factors are kept the same.

But - waxes, sealants and coatings are the great equalizers.

Here's what I mean by this,

Say you have a black car, you finish out half the hood with a Makita PO5000C 5mm gear-driven orbital polisher and the other half of the hood with a Griot's Garage BOSS 21mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

Let's say the side polished by the 21mm polisher, under the most discerning eyes - looks better. WE as a collective BORG all look at both sides and say "YES" the 21mm side look better.

NOW - when you apply a wax, or a sealant or chemically strip the paint and install a ceramic paint coating - any difference is now EQUALIZED.

The LSP will either improve the less perfect side or will mute the more perfect side so in the end - it's a non-issue.

Wax, Sealant or Coatings are the great equalizer for finishing results from any polisher type.

Is that going deep down the rabbit hole?

9. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Likes John U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

So here's the BIG PICTURE, whether you're an enthusiast weekend detailer or a PRO - when you can, add a new polisher to your tool arsenal that offer a different operation function than you already own.

Then you can choose the right tool for the job.

11. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, sorry to keep badgering on, but does the XCE have a felt ring that needs to be lubricated like the VRG does ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post

Thanks Mike, sorry to keep badgering on, but does the XCE have a felt ring that needs to be lubricated like the VRG does ?

No. You can see a picture of the internal guts in this article I wrote back in November of last year.

Supa BEAST backing plate swap

I only use the Supa BEAST with the 6" backing plate. I think I explain why in the article above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post
    I now have my Super beast, not used it yet. But can it really do everything including final finishing to a point where it leaves the finish as good as any other type of machine? I mean in leaving that high gloss/Jewelled type finish ?
    put it on a slow speed and use a softer pad. lots will depend on the product used too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast