autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX XC3401 problem

If doing this for profit then speed rises as a consideration. For a DA it seems the Flex would be the better choice as it has a stronger motor and will break down polishes faster. That said, you probably will end up with at least one machine of each kind, DA & rotary. Most people use the rotary for cutting and other remediation saving the DA for LSP application. In either case practice on clean, junked panels until you are familiar with individual limitations of the machines, polishes, and pads. It just takes time and practice. Hone your technique now, up front, so that word of mouth from quality jobs keep you busy later.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my FLEX's BP melted down on my this weekend. It was my 3rd time using the machine.

Note: I did not tighten the bolt when I first got it...and when I went to remove it the bolt seemed tight. IMO If FLEX is going to ship the unit with the BP installed it should have been torqued to the recommended specs. Saying it's the end users fault is like buying a car and having a wheel fall off becasue you didn't check to see if the lugs were tight and blaming it on the owner.

Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Well my FLEX's BP melted down on my this weekend. It was my 3rd time using the machine.

Note: I did not tighten the bolt when I first got it...and when I went to remove it the bolt seemed tight. IMO If FLEX is going to ship the unit with the BP installed it should have been torqued to the recommended specs. Saying it's the end users fault is like buying a car and having a wheel fall off becasue you didn't check to see if the lugs were tight and blaming it on the owner.

Just my $.02
    In all fairness we do not know who did not tighten the lug nuts, was that in factory, or wheels were changed later at distributor/dealership, but I do understand and agree with your point that it should not be user's problem.

I just wish I could watch you while you work so I could pin this down. It is tough to try to get to bottom of this without being able to see and say "Aha!", especially when neither of my two is showing any kind of issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    In all fairness we do not know who did not tighten the lug nuts, was that in factory, or wheels were changed later at distributor/dealership, but I do understand and agree with your point that it should not be user's problem.

I just wish I could watch you while you work so I could pin this down. It is tough to try to get to bottom of this without being able to see and say "Aha!", especially when neither of my two is showing any kind of issue.
    I was actually surprised when it happened since it was the 3rd car I've used it on. I was sitting on my little creaper chair working on a scratch in the center of the door. I was applying a medium amount of pressure as I was working on an isolated scratch. I didn't feel like it was too much pressure but it would have been enough to stop a PC from rotating. I'm fairly confident my pad was flat.

I'm not really upset as I'm confident the issue will be resolved. I'm just curious as to what the felt gasket is for? I removed it from the unit and it seems like it would work without it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RaskyR1; 05-05-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

From everything I see there is nothing that would indicate there is a single issue with Flex, much less an ongoing one.

Flex is being used by at least hundreds of owners and only few have reported a "problem". Out of those few they all seem to fall in catgeory of "did not check the tool prior to using it, thus did not find bolt might need tightening, and used tool in incorrect manner".

Thus I tend to feel there is no issue with Flex whatsoever.

If I were you I would get Flex, do pre-inspection in manner described numerous times, and use it in correct manner as described numerous times.

When deciding keep in mind please that PC is not perfect. If you search you will find there were many reports of backing plate flying off on PC and even hitting and damaging the car in the process.

Therefore you can not think in terms of "PC is perfect" (as it is not) and "I will take incorrect use of Flex by owner as tool's flaw".

Please notice no owner that reported "problem" with Flex came back to report problem is reocurring once they were told to tighten bp and not use offset pressure.

I disagree 100%. There are too many folks that have bought their's since "the loose screw" issue was first published. They are double checking and still have the plate smoke & choke. It's on many forums and not the same posters over and over. Also why would anyone have to keep a machine of this cost/construction perfectly level on the pad all the time? Say what? You can't use the edge of the pad and a little pressure to get underneath a mirror for instance, or the rounded edge of a bumper cover? It seems to me that there is a major problem with some of the units and I'm sure many, whose units crapped out even though the plate was tight, would agree.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    There are too many folks that have bought their's since "the loose screw" issue was first published. They are double checking and still have the plate smoke & choke. It's on many forums and not the same posters over and over.
    Please provide links to reports that claim "I have tightened it and it still happened" links to reports of recurring issues as I am curious how I could have missed them when I visit almost all major forums almost daily and I do not recollect seeing anything to that effect. This today is the first one.

Also why would anyone have to keep a machine of this cost/construction perfectly level on the pad all the time? Say what? You can't use the edge of the pad and a little pressure to get underneath a mirror for instance, or the rounded edge of a bumper cover?
    You don't have to keep it flat and you can use little pressure. What you have to do though is not use lots of pressure and make sure if you are using offset pressure that it does not bring bp in contact with housing. Please notice on my units once I have tightened down with double washer it took me over 50lbs of pressure to bear it down when pressure was centered. It took 25-ish plus lbs of offset pressure to do same. That is amount of leaning into that one should not be using on the panel to start with.

It seems to me that there is a major problem with some of the units and I'm sure many, whose units crapped out even though the plate was tight, would agree.
    You say "many". How many is "many" exactly? One? Five? Ten? And out of those "many" how many exactly had reported recurrence or that they experienced issue in spite of plate being tightened prior to use? Exact figures and some solid data please. And let's let those "many" raise their own hand because I really wonder how I could have missed them if there is really so many like you allege.

Until then it is major jumping to assumptions to declare "major problem".
    Last edited by ZoranC; 05-05-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no intention of going back though forums and providing links. I'm only stating what I have read. Perhaps "many" was too strong a term but any would be too many. Had your machine chewed up the plate I doubt you would defend it as much. I could ask you to provide proof of the "many thousands" who have not had a problem with it. That's silly, we're not in court here just discussing the Flex. I express concern as to it holding up and you feel the concern is not warranted.

I'm not damning it just suggesting that there seems to be a problem here that is not repaired by tightening the plate. Why did your's need to be modified with two washers? That tells me something is amiss right there. This is one instance where I really want to be wrong! I want to own this machine but it appears to be going through "teething pains" and isn't quite perfected yet.

The approximate 25lbs pressure you stated helps. I was wrongly under the impression that any light pressure off center caused the plate to scrape the housing and self destruct.
    Last edited by RTexasF; 05-06-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I do not have any. It obviously is not needed for mechanical functioning but I am sure it does have a purpose, otherwise they would not be putting it without the reason.
    Reduce noise?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone come across this ? I was using flex for about 1/2 hr when I saw a black plastic circular piece separated from between the bp and housing I did not smell any burning and the brown felt looked good, only other thing I notice was housing was getting warm so i let cool off between passes and continue on also checked the screw was tight b4 I started . Here are couple pictures i took b4 camera batteries died
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0376-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0379-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0378-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0377-jpg  
    Last edited by angrypressmn; 05-06-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have very hard time visualizing where that piece is coming from. I will have to check my bp when I get home because I do not remember anything on it that that would come from.

However, what I do see is that your bp is showing signs of rubbing. That might help explain separation. How much pressure you are using? Also, could you please get sharper close ups once batteries in your camera are OK? Thank you in advance!

ZoranC: I used some downward pressure on 1 tough spot but mostly just was guiding it along. I added some more close-ups hopefully they are more sharper.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0383-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0385-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0389-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0390-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0391-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0392-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0393-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0394-jpg   FLEX XC3401 problem-img_0395-jpg  

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast