autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX XC3401 problem

Well add me to the camp of people with this exact problem on a brand new FLEX 3401.

First let me say that I am a seasoned detailer and orbital and PC user, so proper technique was a non-factor here.

I've taken the Meg's class, taught by Mike Phillips and had polishers and been using them for some time in addition to that.

That said, I was able to detail 2.5 vehicles before a 6 inch long piece of plastic came chunking off while I was in the middle of a perfectly flat Explorer hood applying perfectly flat and appropriate pressure.

Today, 1.5 vehicles later the other half came off. Looks identical to the pictures posted.

I left my supplies at a friend's house so I can't check the tightness yet, but I will.

That said, not sure why ZoranC feels the need to defend FLEX to the death here... After reading this entire thread I get a very strong sense that you somehow take any negative thoughts or FACTS against the FLEX personally...kind of odd really.

Bottom line is the polisher should be shipped in "ready-to0go" condition, and all your reasoning for how and why it isn't FLEX's fault these units are failing are just crazy if you ask me.

It should come TIGHTED to spec- period. No one played with it along the line, and if that was a possiblity then FLEX should have put notice inside every box that the end user needed to check that bolt before their first, and each subsequent use.

FLEX seemed to have dropped the ball here IMO, and I am curious to see what is going to be done about it considering even their own warranty center doesn't truly know what to do....sigh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar View Post

That said, not sure why ZoranC feels the need to defend FLEX to the death here... After reading this entire thread I get a very strong sense that you somehow take any negative thoughts or FACTS against the FLEX personally...kind of odd really.

Bottom line is the polisher should be ...
    Instead of letting myself being baited into typical Internet trash talking when all I am trying to do is help (as many feel I did when I did footwork that led to Flex spreading in detailing community, in the case you did not know that) I will tell you following:

Nobody, including me, debates here on subjects you mentioned, we all agree on that. Go back and look at my posts before commenting like that.

In the meantime, with that being said, can I ask you following: Were you or were you not aware of numerous times posted advice how to avoid this, if yes did you follow it, and if you still did not follow it why you did not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Instead of letting myself being baited into typical Internet trash talking when all I am trying to do is help (as many feel I did when I did footwork that led to Flex spreading in detailing community, in the case you did not know that) I will tell you following:

Nobody, including me, debates here on subjects you mentioned, we all agree on that. Go back and look at my posts before commenting like that.

In the meantime, with that being said, can I ask you following: Were you or were you not aware of numerous times posted advice how to avoid this, if yes did you follow it, and if you still did not follow it why you did not?
    ZoranC, seriously, I had no intention of "trash talking" by any means. I was just pointing out the fact that before I was halfway through the thread I was asking making note to myself to check into YOU because I got the feeling you either A.) Sold the product, or B.) Were affiliated with someone that did.
    Given your most recent reply pointing out that you take credit for the introduction of the FLEX, I guess I was at least partially correct? Seriously, that's just how it reads....

Have YOU gone back and read through this thread? Notice that you disagree with EVERY single person that tries to put an ounce of blame on FLEX? You also attempt to justify every single thing pointed out as a potential problem...sorry if that upsets you to point that out, but it is what it is.

No offense, seriously. And I do appreciate the help you tried to give...I just think you may need to step back and open yourself up to some other possible solutions than what you have so far. That's all

Now, the non-sense bickering aside, I did not tighten anything because A.) I used the FLEX which I bought from ADS before I ever visited AGO. On top of that, my vendor had not heard about this issue when I checked with him. Additionally, I just happened to find this topic for the first time TODAY.

Mind you, I am as far from the typical American "I'm a victim, it's YOUR fault" type of person as they come, truly, I am. BUT, at the same time this product is CLEARLY shipping BRAND NEW with an OUT OF THE BOX problem that should NOT fall onto the customer's hands.

You make it seem as if it is the responsibility of the customer to completely understand the inner mechanics of every power tool they buy AS WELL as proper fitting and tightening specs before ever using it- sorry, but that's not realistic. This is a product being sold to a DIY community in addition to "professionals," and even the "professionals" in the detailing world would almost certainly not know that their brand new product needed to be re-torqued before their first use.

But hey, that's just my take... you of course are more than welcome to yours...and again, sorry if that came off as an attack- it wasn't intended to be. I was only hoping to shed light onto the situation like you say you were.

Post Thanks / Like

I was asking making note to myself to check into YOU because I got the feeling you either A.) Sold the product, or B.) Were affiliated with someone that did. Given your most recent reply pointing out that you take credit for the introduction of the FLEX, I guess I was at least partially correct?

That is fully incorrect. You obviously were not checking good enough. So, to save you some energy: Not a penny of personal interest, neither directly, nor indirectly.
    Additionally, I just happened to find this topic for the first time TODAY.

Yes! I started with a Meg's G100, but then recently upgraded to the FLEX. I can say both are great tools, but the FLEX brings your correction ability to a whole new level.
    It is not as dangerous as a Rotary, *but* it can cause damage if you aren't careful. Don't let that scare you though, as you can easily learn it safely with a little reading online + starting out slowly with safe pads, polishes, and speeds.
    Funny you say you did not come across this topic when just yesterday you were advising people to do online reading on Flex prior to purchase and use and this has been public knowledge for months.

Anyway ...

As far as rest of your post goes it seems you did not do what I suggested (that you go back and look at my posts before commenting like that) and still proceeded down the same line. As I said, I will not be continuing discussion with person that does not bother to check facts before he speaks, so discussion is as far as I am concerned over.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: FLEX XC3401 problem

ZoranC, seriously, grow up. I was nothing but respectful towards you and you acted like a child.

You have YET AGAIN proven that you take anything about the FLEX personally...FURTHER proving my point.

Also, it only goes to show how threatened you are and how personally you take things if you have to go dig in other threads to TRY and discredit me because you and your precious FLEX were threatened- PATHETIC.

I won't even bother going into the details on the fact that you even took it as far as to go BACK to my topics and try and find flaws with what I posted, haha, in which you failed. So sad...

Oh, and read again (You must be too emotional to read properly) as I never said I did any research, I said I made a note to do some but never got the chance to because YOU came out and admitted that you DID have a vested EMOTIONAL interest in the FLEX as you just posted so openly about what a hero you were "bringing it to the detailer community"

Nice work dodging ALL of my valid posting because you couldn't actually reply...

**And to add as close to proof as possible that you do in fact try to defend the FLEX beyond a reasonable level, note that you took the time to research in OTHER FORUMS and numerous of my past posts to attempt to make me look bad, but in a post that YOU referenced that I posted in that a new member asked about the FLEX **YOU** failed to take the time to let HIM know about the thread with the possible issues with the FLEX. Hmm, fancy that. Good to know what you're truly concerned about, the good of the forum, right? Please... :barf bag:
    Last edited by Lumadar; 06-08-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well add me to the camp of people with this exact problem on a brand new FLEX 3401.

First let me say that I am a seasoned detailer and orbital and PC user, so proper technique was a non-factor here.

I've taken the Meg's class, taught by Mike Phillips and had polishers and been using them for some time in addition to that.

That said, I was able to detail 2.5 vehicles before a 6 inch long piece of plastic came chunking off while I was in the middle of a perfectly flat Explorer hood applying perfectly flat and appropriate pressure.

Today, 1.5 vehicles later the other half came off. Looks identical to the pictures posted.

I left my supplies at a friend's house so I can't check the tightness yet, but I will.

Bottom line is the polisher should be shipped in "ready-to0go" condition, and all your reasoning for how and why it isn't FLEX's fault these units are failing are just crazy if you ask me.

It should come TIGHTED to spec- period. No one played with it along the line, and if that was a possiblity then FLEX should have put notice inside every box that the end user needed to check that bolt before their first, and each subsequent use.

FLEX seemed to have dropped the ball here IMO, and I am curious to see what is going to be done about it considering even their own warranty center doesn't truly know what to do....sigh
    I concur 100%!!! A $300 power tool should work correctly out of the box. I thought this tool was used abroad for a year or so before it came into the states. Is that right? If so, why wasn't this issue reported on any forums prior to coming to the states. I still haven't used the Flex yet, as pads and polish are just too expensive for me right now but I am considering returning it and start a new search for a polisher. The Band-Aid fix of tightening the screw is just that, a Band-Aid fix. Flex people should step up to the plate to fix this issue, at the very least release a statement what their intentions and actions are and will be?

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

I tightened the "bolt" when I received it. I'm new to using electrical tools on cars so I don't press hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen
    2013 Infinity JX35 White Pearl, 2009 BMW 528XI White
    1969 Primrose Yellow 4.2 XKE
    2002 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 7.3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
    I thought this tool was used abroad for a year or so before it came into the states. Is that right? If so, why wasn't this issue reported on any forums prior to coming to the states.
    That is from what I know correct. You haven't heard about it on forums maybe because:

1) it wasn't used in enthusiast community, it was largely unknown of there, it is primarily meant for, advertised to, and used by automotive OEMs

2) only major English speaking detailing community outside States is largely way behind States, not ahead, Flex is still majorly not used or talked about there, part of which is due to fact that all power tools there are way much more expensive than here.

I still haven't used the Flex yet, as pads and polish are just too expensive for me right now but I am considering returning it and start a new search for a polisher.
    Those that are, for whatever reason, not happy with Flex do have few options aside from rotary. They are Bosch 1250DEVS and Makita BO6040. I own and have used both and out of two Bosch is my personal preference. I have already made several posts comparing them and Flex that can be found across various boards (my gallery on Autopia still, I think, contains side by side pictures of some of them, IIRC) but if there is big enough demand I will revisit that subject for the benfit of community, just like I did on Flex for the benefit of the community.

A $300 power tool should work correctly out of the box. ... Flex people should step up to the plate to fix this issue, at the very least release a statement what their intentions and actions are and will be?
    Once again, nobody debates what should or should not be. We are all on same page when it comes to that. If you feel Flex should step up your best approach might be to express that directy to Flex and reseller. I hear both have great customer service.

On the personal level, I feel this issue might be blown out of proportions. Logic would imply reality check of how many people experienced it vs. how many did not. Logic would also imply that if vendor does offer temporary "band aid" that people would use that, or try something else, in the meantime until there is a full solution instead of continuing to bang their head even though they know what the outcome will be. If something hurts you then for Pete's sake don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ger42 View Post
    I tightened the "bolt" when I received it. I'm new to using electrical tools on cars so I don't press hard.
    It's funny you say that...because more experienced users WOULD be inclined to press hard considering that is precisely what you are supposed to do with PCs, G100/G110, etc.

As for tightening the bolt, that's great you did...but I still don't see how everyone is "expected" to do that. When you buy your new cars do you check the torque on the lug nuts before leaving the lot?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast