autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex DA Polisher- Initial Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving View Post
    Well after running 6 or 7 hours with the Rigid I found it difficult to use my hands, and they always felt like they were vibrating, even when i wasnt using the machine. I do not recall having such feelings with the Flex, my hands may have felt a little funny for a while but way way better than any other machine. I have to say it is THE smoothest machine i have ever worked with, and ive tried a few, Rigid, PC, Griots Garage polisher and Festool.
    Hmmm, that is interesting to hear as me and few others have felt Ridgid is smoother (vibrated less for us) than any of these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Hmmm, that is interesting to hear as me and few others have felt Ridgid is smoother (vibrated less for us) than any of these.
    For me the rigid put out lots of sharp quick vibrations. I was using the 6.5 LC pads

Post Thanks / Like

For me the rigid put out lots of sharp quick vibrations. I was using the 6.5 LC pads
    On 1/8" or 1/4" setting? How Festool in non-forced mode felt for you at full speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    On 1/8" or 1/4" setting? How Festool in non-forced mode felt for you at full speed?
    1/4, i would say that the festool was smoother than the Rigid. In forced mode i find the flex much easier to control than the festool

Post Thanks / Like

1/4, i would say that the festool was smoother than the Rigid. In forced mode i find the flex much easier to control than the festool
    I concurr on Flex being easier to control in forced mode than Festool (or 1250DEVS or BO6040 for that matter). IIRC if you search for my posts (don't remember on which board) you will find my complaints on "vertical" designs that "want to get from under you" and my liking that Flex is "horizontal design" (plus bail handle and longer handle help).

Yes, Festool in pure random mode is smoother than Ridgid in 1/4" mode, but not by huge margin IMHE, plus in 1/8" mode I find Ridgid smoother than even Festool. I still haven't experienced what you are describing as sharp quick vibrations with Ridgid, I will keep "looking" for them. In the end it might be as simple as fact that no two bodies are identical, that what irritates one person does not irritate other, or even simpler, that one you picked up was not as good out of the box as one I picked up. Personally I like my Ridgid as much as I like my Flex, if not more.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i couple of questions about using the flex. what speed would you use to work in say the polish, and then what speed would you use to remove the defect? with the pc, spreading the polish for instance, it would be set at 3 1/2 to 4, and then worked at 5/6 until the swirl or scratch is removed.

also would it be safe enough for a beginner to use, or should i start out with a pc first?

thanks

Dave.

Thanks.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4pbears View Post
    i couple of questions about using the flex. what speed would you use to work in say the polish, and then what speed would you use to remove the defect? with the pc, spreading the polish for instance, it would be set at 3 1/2 to 4, and then worked at 5/6 until the swirl or scratch is removed.

also would it be safe enough for a beginner to use, or should i start out with a pc first?

thanks

Dave.

Thanks.

Dave.

I think it is safe enough for a beginner to use. Its really not that hard most of the learning is done with in the first hour of using the machine, it maybe a little more difficult to use than the pc because of the flexs forced rotation but you quickly learn to compensate. I dont see any reasonable concern regarding to a first timer burnning the paint or giving it holograms. Its fairly idiot proof, there is nothing really that could go wrong except maybe loosing control of the buffer, but its really not that hard, i wouldnt worry about it.I taught my friend how to use the flex, a little woobly and he had a hard time keeping the pad flat on the surface but he got it down in no time. I always use the flex at full blast when polishing, i start off slow to spread it out then just go full power all the way. IMO dont waste your time with the pc go for the flex. happy polishing
    Last edited by Thejoyofdriving; 12-31-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend all users of strong orbital polishers to use gloves that helps the Carpal Tunnel, Meghan probably has some good ones for you.

It's a strong machine, you will not able to stop it by force. The correction abilities are quite some with the right pad/polish combo.

Good luck-and check out their rotary machines as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently got my Flex and only had time to try it on the hood and trunk. So far I'd have to say it's great and has much more correcting power than the PC.

One thing I may have missed though. What is the "forced mode" that ZoranC mentions?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    One thing I may have missed though. What is the "forced mode" that ZoranC mentions?
    Don't let my comment confuse you. I am referring to fact that backing plate (and hence the pad) if forced to rotate in orbit. On some polishers you can switch that off/on leaving you with a random orbit only. On Flex it is always on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12