autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401- how safe is it?

Just took my Flex out of the box,grabbed the Menzerna and headed for the garage. This machine is AWESOME! It's all that and a bag of chips.
    I would tell anyone that is contemplating buying a PC, UDM, Rotory, (any brand ) to pass and buy the Flex. I was using it on my hood with one hand. A smooth running DA, light weight,easy to handle, with UMP! I will probably sell my 2 rotories real cheap. If anyone wants to know anything about the Flex and mo about it. PM me I'll answer any questions. I'll be in the garage!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    So much talk and hype about the Flex ... yet so little answers. One would think all of the talk about how great the Flex is would lead to some answers ...
    It's actually pretty simple... the Flex will correct paint imperfections easier/faster than a PC, but not quite as easy/fast as a rotary. Of course, the that makes the Flex more apt to do damage than a PC, but still safer than a rotary. You don't want it to touch vinyl, rubber, or anything like that if you are running it at significant speeds.

If you already have a rotary and use it, you shouldn't have any issue with the Flex. If you are not comfortable with the rotary, stick with the PC.

I have a Makita and Milwaukee rotary buffers, a PC, and now that my son has a Flex, we are covered. If he didn't have the Flex, I would sell my PC and maybe even one of my rotary buffers to buy the Flex after using it. I was able to do nearly the same corrective work as a rotary in about 1/2 the time it would take with a PC.

Again, the rotary is still the most efficient tool for paint correction, but with the Flex, I didn't have to do near the taping, didn't have to worry much about splatter, and didn't have to worry nearly as much about edges and such.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail_Guy View Post
    It's actually pretty simple... the Flex will correct paint imperfections easier/faster than a PC, but not quite as easy/fast as a rotary. Of course, the that makes the Flex more apt to do damage than a PC, but still safer than a rotary. You don't want it to touch vinyl, rubber, or anything like that if you are running it at significant speeds.

If you already have a rotary and use it, you shouldn't have any issue with the Flex. If you are not comfortable with the rotary, stick with the PC.

I have a Makita and Milwaukee rotary buffers, a PC, and now that my son has a Flex, we are covered. If he didn't have the Flex, I would sell my PC and maybe even one of my rotary buffers to buy the Flex after using it. I was able to do nearly the same corrective work as a rotary in about 1/2 the time it would take with a PC.

Again, the rotary is still the most efficient tool for paint correction, but with the Flex, I didn't have to do near the taping, didn't have to worry much about splatter, and didn't have to worry nearly as much about edges and such.
    Detail Guy, thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for, especially the last part. I am no pro with a rotary but I do have enough experience with it where I won't make any dumb mistakes and burn paint or trim (been there done that). I really only pull out the rotary when I'm working on a total disaster (how would a Flex handle this):

Since I currenlty do correction with a PC / UDM 90% of the time I think a Flex may be worth it ... but probably not any time soon ... not too fond of 1st round batches .

Post Thanks / Like

I really only pull out the rotary when I'm working on a total disaster (how would a Flex handle this):

Since I currenlty do correction with a PC / UDM 90% of the time I think a Flex may be worth it ... but probably not any time soon ... not too fond of 1st round batches .
    Budman,

Anything the PC can do, the Flex can do... only faster, and probably better. So, if that paint correction was done with a PC (nice by the way), then a Flex will do it. Again, with the speed turned up on the Flex, it is much closer to a rotary buffer in performance... of course, it also starts to approach the same concerns with doing damage.

To be honest, I'm not a real PC fan. Prior to purchasing mine about 5 years ago, I had used rotary buffers of various types for 35 years or so. Through the years, I've used pneumatic rotaries, singe speed electric, dual speed electric, and variable speed electric. The first time I used a PC, it felt like I was trying to polish paint with a jack-hammer. While the Flex still feels somewhat similar to a PC, at least I didn't have to work the paint as long with the Flex. So, I didn't mind it so much.

As for the "1st Batch", I wouldn't worry about that too much, as the Flex has been around Europe for a long time. Actually, with the recent surge in popularity, I'd be more concerned with the next batch.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of "1st batch", Flex as a company is not a newcomer to scene that is trying to quickly put some parts from China and Mexico together. They have been around and they have a reputation. Still, even best companies with long history and reputation do end up being bitten by "V 1.0" syndrome. However, it is my understanding XC 3401 VRG has been sold in Europe for months before it was sold here. It's just that States were not hearing about it. Flex was not sold here until August/September. However, I was investigating info about European units 3+ months before that. I know for fact of purchases in Europe before that. Therefore this can not be considered a first batch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Detail Guy. The above picture was done with a rotary, light cut pad and Optimum Hyper Compound ... those are the types of vehicle I use a rotary on and usually everything else gets done via PC (for the most part atleast).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Detail Guy. The above picture was done with a rotary, light cut pad and Optimum Hyper Compound ... those are the types of vehicle I use a rotary on and usually everything else gets done via PC (for the most part atleast).
    No problem budman3!

If you can do that kind of work with a rotary, I don't see you having any problems using a Flex.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    On the subject of "1st batch", Flex as a company is not a newcomer to scene that is trying to quickly put some parts from China and Mexico together. They have been around and they have a reputation. Still, even best companies with long history and reputation do end up being bitten by "V 1.0" syndrome. However, it is my understanding XC 3401 VRG has been sold in Europe for months before it was sold here. It's just that States were not hearing about it. Flex was not sold here until August/September. However, I was investigating info about European units 3+ months before that. I know for fact of purchases in Europe before that. Therefore this can not be considered a first batch.
    Zoran,

I'm trying to get in on the "next" batch. Would you call me already???
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan View Post
    Would you call me already???
    Yes, Sir! P.S. Already? It hasn't been even half of a day! Man, you really are Spoiled! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail_Guy View Post
    No problem budman3!

If you can do that kind of work with a rotary, I don't see you having any problems using a Flex.
    I'm not really concerned whether or not I'd be able to use the machine, but thinking about others, and whether or not I'd trust someone to use it and be comfortable with it. A lot of my questions were angled to get more useful information about the Flex on the forums other than the 'this machine rocks' posts . My predicament is whether I should upgrade my rotary or pick up a Flex. If there is a big gap between the two then a rotary may be a better fit for me... but if a Flex can handle the above situation fairly quickly then that would be more attractive. I'll probably end up with both later on down the road though .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast