autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

LC Hybrids on XFE

I did some more polishing yesterday on a very soft Honda CRV that was in rough shape. I brought my XFE and GG6 to do the work and D151 was the AIO of choice.

I started polishing with the maroon B&S Lo-pro pad (6.5"), and had it between speed 5.5-6 almost the entire time. These pads (in my limited experience with them) run very cool and ridiculously smooth on long throws. Once the pad became too caked with product, I brought it to the wash bin (I only brought one with me- DOH!). Once the pad was washed and ready for round two, I decided to try a 6.5" white LC Hybrid instead, just for the heck of it.

My findings may seem surprising, but I actually preferred the hybrid over the Lo-pro on this particular job and ended up finishing the remaining 70% of the vehicle with them! The hybrid pad did exhibit more vibration- it kind of reminded me of a quieter and slightly smoother 3401 experience. But what shocked my was the added correction speed, and lower polisher speed! Instead of 5.5-6 needed to keep the lo-pros spinning, I turned the XFE down to 4-4.5! Even on contours, the XFE had plenty of power and continued spinning the pad. If I would get stall, simply bump the speed up slightly, correct and dial it back down.

I know all jobs are different, and its good to have a wide range of products, but running a hybrid on a long throw seemed less than optimal to me at first- I mean thats a "3401 and rotary" type pad. It seems like this job proved to me a couple things:

1. No two paints are the same
    2. You can achieve excellent results in a variety of ways!

I did just place an order for a 5" plate as I do think that will further optimize the power and precision of the XFE. With my findings with the hybrids, I think I may have to add some 5.5" to the bin! I also want to keep playing with the Lo-Pros, as Ive been quite impressed with those as well! SO MANY COOL PRODUCTS!!

Mike Phillips

Re: LC Hybrids on XFE

Thanks for sharing your experience.

On our TV show, a few times we used some of the thicker SONAX foam pads on the FLEX XFE7 and I was surprised at how well they rotated as usually thicker pads don't rotate well on free spinning tools.

Keep us up to date...

Post Thanks / Like

I had the opportunity to do a little more "testing" with the 6.5" LC white hybrid pads this weekend on a black sl600.

It's seriously almost like this pad was made for this polisher- I can't get over it! I experimented with 5.5" buff and shine flat pads (green and black), and a maroon b&s lo-pro (that I cut down to 5.25" and added a round on the edge) and the xfe was at speed 5.5-6, and would still stall with careless technique.

Then switching to the hybrid- spin spin and more spin! My speed of choice is around 4.5 as the higher speeds increase in vibration (not uncomfortably so, just noticeable).

My theory is that if this thing spins the 6.5" hybrids this good, then it's time to grab some 5.5" force pads, which would also be right at home on the 3401 and PE!

Just a theory here, as I know there are MANY variables that come into play, but could flex tools actually prefer a thicker pad, and be designed around it?

Any other people (perhaps those who used the sonax pads) also prefer a thicker pad on the XFE?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B5visser View Post
    Just a theory here, as I know there are MANY variables that come into play, but could flex tools actually prefer a thicker pad, and be designed around it?

Any other people (perhaps those who used the sonax pads) also prefer a thicker pad on the XFE?

Thanks!
    I've never used the XFE, but I believe it is similar to a Rupes 15. If your polishing style is to put some downward force when polishing (I do), thicker pads are the way to go.
    Although Mike says that 'thin is in', this is what bothered me about thinner pads, the lack of cushion.
    I believe thinner pads are a good choice for the 21 orbit, when less pressure is needed, since the long orbit plays a more vital role than pressure when cutting or polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been impressed by the Hybrid pad performance throughout the ranges of colors and densities. I will be getting the Force Hybrids soon too!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I haven't had a chance to use my XFE yet but will keep this option in mind since I have both Hybrid pads AND long throw ones too. How hot did the hybrid pads get?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the XFE, but I believe it is similar to a Rupes 15. If your polishing style is to put some downward force when polishing (I do), thicker pads are the way to go.
    Although Mike says that 'thin is in', this is what bothered me about thinner pads, the lack of cushion.
    I do tend to use light to moderate pressure with the XFE, which is significantly less than my use of the 3401.

I have always been impressed by the Hybrid pad performance throughout the ranges of colors and densities. I will be getting the Force Hybrids soon too!
    Hybrids are great! Just placed an order for some 5.5" force pads! I will keep this thread updated with my findings!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Interesting! I haven't had a chance to use my XFE yet but will keep this option in mind since I have both Hybrid pads AND long throw ones too. How hot did the hybrid pads get?
    On speed 4.5-5, I'd say the hybrids are warm to the touch. It seems like as the hybrids get a little warm, the buffing experience also becomes smoother.

The maroon B&S Lo-pros on speed 5.5-6 run downright cool- very very little heat transfer. The lo pros are designed with a cooling hole in the middle, which is also implemented into the new LC force pads, which is more to get excited about!