autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Flex 3401

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401

Hello Detailers,

I have been lurking around for a while doing research and watching videos until I finally decided the purchase the polisher along with the 4" backing plate and hybrid pads. I used them for the first time yesterday and all I can say is it was an interesting experience. It wasn't very difficult to control it on flat surfaces, but a bit of a challenge on hills and valleys where I could see the polisher was "running away" from me. I think it might take some time getting used to on varying contours.

I started with white pad along with Meguiar's SwirlX 2.0. Put in about 3 rounds (each with 4 passes & speed of 4), which gave me decent results. This, however, took way too long. Following this, I moved to Blue pads & Meguiar's SwirlX 2.0 with 2 rounds (each with 4 passes & speed of 4.5). This was on a different patch but was not happy with the results and decided to upgrade to orange pads & Ultimate compound (2 rounds - each with 4 passes & a speed of 5.5). This gave me much better results and more importantly in a shorter time. It took me about 5 hours approx to complete about half the hood. While I tried to follow the least aggressive procedure, I think the swirls were too deep to be eliminated simply by first 2 methods. Will continue further on the remaining hood with orange pads & UC and hopefully will take lesser time and post pictures once completed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401

I always got the best results from the Flex especially with Menzerna at 5.5.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hidonest View Post

Hello Detailers,

I have been lurking around for a while doing research and watching videos until I finally decided the purchase the polisher along with the 4" backing plate and hybrid pads.
    Hi hidonest and welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I used them for the first time yesterday and all I can say is it was an interesting experience. It wasn't very difficult to control it on flat surfaces, but a bit of a challenge on hills and valleys where I could see the polisher was "running away" from me. I think it might take some time getting used to on varying contours.
    We call this the "walking effect" and it happens if you don't hold the pad flat to the surface or like you experienced sometimes when you're buffing curved panels.

It takes a little getting used to but at least for me it's a non-issue as I like being able to buff any shape panel without any pad stalling like you get with free-spinning orbital polishers. Especially if I'm trying to work fast.

I started with white pad along with Meguiar's SwirlX 2.0. Put in about 3 rounds (each with 4 passes & speed of 4), which gave me decent results. This, however, took way too long.

That's a very non-aggressive combination.

Following this, I moved to Blue pads & Meguiar's SwirlX 2.0 with 2 rounds (each with 4 passes & speed of 4.5). This was on a different patch but was not happy with the results

Again, not a very aggressive approach. Save - just not aggressive thus not fast.

and decided to upgrade to orange pads & Ultimate compound (2 rounds - each with 4 passes & a speed of 5.5).

This gave me much better results and more importantly in a shorter time.
    There you go. And probably produced very very good results except for the deeper scratches we call RIDS or Random Isolated Deeper Scratches and if this is a Daily Driver then don't try to remove the RIDS just live with them and avoid putting them into the paint in the future.

It took me about 5 hours approx to complete about half the hood.
    I could have buffed out the entire car in 5 hours.

Speed will come with practice, so hang in there.

While I tried to follow the least aggressive procedure, I think the swirls were too deep to be eliminated simply by first 2 methods.

Will continue further on the remaining hood with orange pads & UC and hopefully will take lesser time and post pictures once completed.
    Bump your speed up to the 5-6 range and PRESS DOWN on the head of the polisher with about 10 pounds of pressure.

Make slow overlapping passes.

Clean your pad often.

The FLEX is a BEAST and with practice you'll be amazed at the results and be able to knock out an entire car in 5 hours.

Mike Phillips

Check this out....

How To Use The Flex 3401

And this is another Mike's how-to article -

My technique concerning the 3401, Menzerna products, and Hybrid pads

I think the only place Mike and I differ is I prefer to run the FLEX all out on speed 6 when I want to remove defects fast. I have a saying that goes like this,

Sometimes there's something to be said for speed - Mike Phillips

I also have this quote,

With a FLEX 3401 you can power through a detail job -Mike Phillips

I have a write-up yet to be released that really shows the power and speed of the FLEX 3401 with this old 2-door Pontiac I buffed out...

Just SONAX Cut Max with a wool pad on a FLEX 3401 - 1940 Pontiac 5-Window Coupe

Keep in mind, fiber pads cause micro-marring. That's the trade-off for speed with a DA polisher. It's not a problem however if you know this going into a buffing project and already plan to do a second step with a foam pad. (which I did)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi hidonest and welcome to AutogeekOnline!
    Thank you...

There you go. And probably produced very very good results except for the deeper scratches we call RIDS or Random Isolated Deeper Scratches and if this is a Daily Driver then don't try to remove the RIDS just live with them and avoid putting them into the paint in the future.

Yes, it is a daily driver, but I managed to keep the paint in pretty decent shape by moving to touchless wash after about a year in and getting some polishing with sealant and wax work done outside as well. There are very minimal RIDS however there are these spots that shine under the light, dont know what they are. My car is a Mustang 2015 Competition Orange color.

Bump your speed up to the 5-6 range and PRESS DOWN on the head of the polisher with about 10 pounds of pressure.

Make slow overlapping passes.

Clean your pad often.

The FLEX is a BEAST and with practice you'll be amazed at the results and be able to knock out an entire car in 5 hours.
    The rest 1/2 the hood took me 45 mins including claying. Bumped the speed to 5.5 and was much better.

I was worried about burning through the paint or having less product. Guess with time I will get experienced with it.

Mike Phillips

Bumped the speed to 5.5 and was much better.

I like this quote, I use it enough might as well make

There's something to be said for speed -Mike Phillips

Here's two examples of what I've been able to do in 5.5 hours from start to finish. If I can do it... anyone can do it...

1969 Corvette Stingray - Cobra Clay Mitt Review

Before

After

Did this in 5.5 hours

3D HD Adapt and Poxy Review - 1940 Packard Streetrod detailed by Mike Phillips

Before

After

Here's another quote...

With a FLEX 3401 you can power through any detail job -Mike Phillips

So you can do it... it's just about spending time behind the tool and getting good with it...