autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Important* new flex polisher question

I'm using my new flex xc3401 polisher for the first time. I noticed the factory backing plate doesn't tighten solid onto the machine. The allen screw is definitely tight and the backing plate has a wobble to it. I can put fingers on each side and move it up and down. I don't know if this is normal because its my first time owning one.

the machine is definitely hard to control. i new it was going to be tougher the the GG6 or the G15 but it seems excessive and its walking a lot. the backing plate on my G15 is solid. im using a 6.5" orange correction pad from griots.

i was hoping guys with flex machines can tell me if thier backing plate wobbles or not? Also does anyone know a number I can call to get this straightened out if the wobble is actually a problem? I'm not sure who to go to with warranty issues and stuff like that.

thanks in advance for helping me out,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Important* new flex polisher question

The walking is part of the learning curve for a forced-rotation or direct-drive (rotary) machine.

The wobble isn't normal, IIRC there is a flat-sided washer where the backing plate attaches, are you sure everything is lined up correctly in there? Did you take the backing plate off?

Post Thanks / Like

My backing plate does not wobble. Do you have the small factory washer installed? It will be more difficult to control, especially at higher speed. You really do have to keep the pad flat.

Contact flex USA for you question. Powerhouse tool does warranty repair in the US.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

ya its on right and there is definitely a wobble, it seems hard to control

Post Thanks / Like

So on you guys flex machines the backing plate wont move at all if you wiggle it? for the money it cost i def want one that doesnt wobble

Post Thanks / Like

Mine doesn't wobble, I'd contact whomever you bought from first especially if it's brand new. I'd take the plate off and recheck everything just to make sure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Mine doesn't wobble, I'd contact whomever you bought from first especially if it's brand new. I'd take the plate off and recheck everything just to make sure
    ok yeah its definitely not right, i bought it from autogeek so i will call them tomorrow if they are open. the thing cost almost 400 dollars i dont want any defects. its so frustrating this happens to me all the time. no matter what i do there has to be a problem

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks guys, clearly its not supposed to wobble. i packed it back up in the box and ill call autogeek so they can swap it out for one that works. disappointing but i understand these things happen. if anyone from customer service is reading can you send me contact information please. id like to get this done as soon as possible,

i dont know if they are open tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I'm using my new flex xc3401 polisher for the first time. I noticed the factory backing plate doesn't tighten solid onto the machine. The allen screw is definitely tight and the backing plate has a wobble to it. I can put fingers on each side and move it up and down. I don't know if this is normal because its my first time owning one.

the machine is definitely hard to control. i new it was going to be tougher the the GG6 or the G15 but it seems excessive and its walking a lot. the backing plate on my G15 is solid. im using a 6.5" orange correction pad from griots.

i was hoping guys with flex machines can tell me if thier backing plate wobbles or not? Also does anyone know a number I can call to get this straightened out if the wobble is actually a problem? I'm not sure who to go to with warranty issues and stuff like that.

thanks in advance for helping me out,
    i
    ill check to see if my backingplate has sidewobble...but as for the walking issue..
    if you keep the polisher level/pad flat the issues will be virtually eliminated...as I still have minor walk/push on the lower panels like the bottom door or rockers.

you also need to hold the polisher differently then if you would with a GG6 or Boss/rupes longthrow
    instead of vertical..hold it almost horizontal sasy like 2 oclock or 10 oclock depending on if youre lefty or righty

and NO it doesnt have wobble..you can attempt to rotate it and hear a sound before it locks but that about it

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like maybe the screw is cross threaded, if the screw feels tight but the p,ate is loose. If you haven't taken off or put on the backing plate I wouldn't. Make sure the washer is there. I would contact Flex USA before you do much if anything. If it's a cross threaded screw and you've taken it off it would be normal for them to think you cross threaded it...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast