autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I've never personally used the Cyclo, I would honestly go with the UDM. It has plenty of power and overall is a very nice machine to detail with. And (now this is simply my opinion) I feel that the UDM or PC is a more natural learning tool if you ever would be interested in stepping up to a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    Complaints: Slow! No speed control, awkward shape, too bulky..it is kind of gutless IMO. I think Cyclo needs to add more power and bump up the OPM's. It takes ages to do everything with a Cyclo. I really wish I could play with that "top tool", it is a dream come true, 2 heads 1200w motor speed control! only thing is I think it is even bigger than a cyclo.
    Not sure why you find it slow. IMHO I found that by selecting the right pads for the job, that it had plenty of power and is really easy to use and pretty fast to finish a job. I have used RO's etc and only wish that I had the Cyclo years ago. The selection of the right pad is crucial I feel (that can be said for any tool however). It is lightweight and I had absolutely no problems maneuevering it around. I was actually quite surprised to find how easy it was to use. move around etc. I let the weight of the machine do the work and simply guide it to where it needed to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is much slower than a rotary. Power wise, I think it has less power than the PC. IIRC it is 3000 OPMs and I just think that is kind of slow. I think it is just lacking torque or something. IMO it just needs more power and speed control to become the TRUE Ultimate Detailing Machine.

What kind of pads are you using? I tried it with both the regular pads and the EDGE pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is slower than a rotary but I found that it had plenty of torque for my needs and didn't bog down at any time. I don't find that speed control is necessary as the dual pads and rotation mean that there isn't much risk of burning the paint and the lack of vibration and/or twisting (that you get with Rotary's) meant that controlling it was really easy. My cars are kept in pretty good condition so maybe if it is being used on vehicles with more oxidation it may be an issue. I just worked through the regular Cyclo pads (Orange & then white). I'm waiting on some different pads (Double Precision's) from AGO as we speak. I was using Pinnacle XMT 360 followed by CG Butter Wet Wax. I think the key is to use the correct pad and let the weight of the machine do the work (I know I used to apply more pressure with a Rotary than was necessary). The only criticism I could make is that I initially found the On/Off switch was easy to bump but I got used to it quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried using my Cyclo for paint corrections and I (just my experiance though) found that it was very limited. I understand what your saying about a well maintained vehicle and I totally agree with you. But if you take a vehicle that has never been maintained and gone through many car washes (swirl makers ) that's where I find the Cyclo lacking that extra punch to do the job. I have to agree, if you compare the PC with a Cyclo, I'll take the Cyclo anyday. No vibration, for me that was what ruined my relation ship with my PC...just couldn't stand it. I like the Cyclo for glaze applications or even wax applications, works great. But as far as vehicle correction I'll stick with my Metabo, mind you if I get re-peat customers after I've done a complete polish I can probably get away with my Cyclo....it's just that I favor the Metabo so much that's all I use.

Well just my opinion, just thought I'd share that's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slow? No correctional ability? Less power than PC? Are you guys using same Cyclo I am using? With Cyclo I easily and very quickly do what it would take way much longer (if ever) to do with PC while having better safety margin than inexperienced rotary user with foam pads has. Take my PC, take my UDM, even take my Metabo (for $220 plus shipping) but don't you dare even dream of taking my Cyclo away (at least for now while I gain experience with Flex XC 3401 VRG).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Slow? No correctional ability? Less power than PC? Are you guys using same Cyclo I am using? With Cyclo I easily and very quickly do what it would take way much longer (if ever) to do with PC while having better safety margin than inexperienced rotary user with foam pads has. Take my PC, take my UDM, even take my Metabo (for $220 plus shipping) but don't you dare even dream of taking my Cyclo away (at least for now while I gain experience with Flex XC 3401 VRG).
    You said it all dude

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to compare apples with apples, if you put a rotary in the mix it is matchless for paint correction / renovation. The Cyclo /PC / UDM were not made (or IMO successfully adapted ) to do that type of work

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with TOGWT, about comparisons...it's not really fair for me to compare the Cyclo with my Metabo. Totally different machines and totally meant for different applications.

Good point TOGWT.

ZoranC - Not sure how you can do a full paint correction with a Cyclo? (No disrespect meant just wondering that's all) Mind you I haven't used my Cyclo as much as I've used my Metabo so perhaps if I was to practice abit more with my Cyclo I could learn the tricks but I'd be curious to hear what or how you use your Cyclo.
    Last edited by Nica; 09-21-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like it was said, you can't throw a rotary in this topic - it's a different beast and has it's place as the best tool to correct serious paint issues. BUT, of the DA type machines, the one that guys reach for if they have one is the Cyclo. I had a friend tell me he come run one all day and not have numbness and thingling hands. Try that with a PC or UDM. My only issue now that I decided that I'm getting one, is what type of pads to get with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast