autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Microfiber Pad Delaminating

I purchased some 6" and 3" Lake Country Microfiber Pads a couple months ago. The Autogeek rep suggested them on the phone to me when I was looking to buy some more pads. I bought two of each to test with. The first opportunity I had to try them was a couple weeks ago and it was on a black CX-9 to see how they worked combined with Chemical Guys Black Light and Porter Cable 7424. After using them on the hood and fenders the microfiber was starting to delaminate from the foam. Autogeek customer service sent me out replacement pads. Today I thought I would try the replacements out on the trunk of my BMW cabrio project with Blackfire SRC Compound and Flex 3401. After correcting the back half of the trunk only, the microfiber is delaminating from the foam pretty easily. After each 2'x2' section I would check the pad for heat and clean them. I didn't feel any heat on the microfiber face. I am not having these kinds of issues with my Optimum microfiber pads or Lake Country foam pads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Country Microfiber Pad Delaminating-photo-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Microfiber Pad Delaminating

Quote Originally Posted by triplejumper18 View Post
    I purchased some 6" and 3" Lake Country Microfiber Pads a couple months ago. The Autogeek rep suggested them on the phone to me when I was looking to buy some more pads. I bought two of each to test with. The first opportunity I had to try them was a couple weeks ago and it was on a black CX-9 to see how they worked combined with Chemical Guys Black Light and Porter Cable 7424. After using them on the hood and fenders the microfiber was starting to delaminate from the foam. Autogeek customer service sent me out replacement pads. Today I thought I would try the replacements out on the trunk of my BMW cabrio project with Blackfire SRC Compound and Flex 3401. After correcting the back half of the trunk only, the microfiber is delaminating from the foam pretty easily. After each 2'x2' section I would check the pad for heat and clean them. I didn't feel any heat on the microfiber face. I am not having these kinds of issues with my Optimum microfiber pads or Lake Country foam pads.

three things to check for:

It may be a bad lot number that got past inspection.

could be a temperature extreme ( extreme heat or cold).

could have come into contact with a solvent.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars (the inventors of Microfiber discs) had challenges with delamination when their pads when they were first released.

Since then they have addresses this issue. The Megs MF discs I've used since are solid as a rock with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ixnod View Post
    three things to check for:

It may be a bad lot number that got past inspection.

could be a temperature extreme ( extreme heat or cold).

could have come into contact with a solvent.
    I'm hoping it's just a bad lot. It's been between 55-65 degrees both times I've used them, and they came right out of the bag. It takes forever to clean off all the loose fibers.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the cut and finish that these pads have, but when they're not delaminating, they're shedding constantly.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not found the Megs to shed. Maybe just a hair but VERY little.
    do you clean you mf disc with compressed air or a bug sponge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I've not found the Megs to shed. Maybe just a hair but VERY little.
    do you clean you mf disc with compressed air or a bug sponge?
    These are Lake Country microfiber, not Meguiars. I clean my pads with the Meguiars nylon pad cleaning brush.

Every single one of these damn pads has delaminated just from working on the trunk.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you check the *back* of the pads for heat? MF pads tend not to heat on the face. (Actually foam pads don't heat so much on the face either.)

What Meguiar's found was the movement on the Velcro side was causing frictional heat buildup. Imagine all those little hooks and loops, all twisting and pulling, banging up against one another thousands of times a minute.

That's what they came up with, and say in all their training classes to use *only* their backing plates as the pads and plates are designed to grip better to one another than a 'non' matching set.

Also... are you using ONLY the brush to clean the pads? I don't know if I'd trust it to get them as clean as they really like to be. Doesn't take a big compressor, but air is the key to getting them clean between section passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Did you check the *back* of the pads for heat? MF pads tend not to heat on the face. (Actually foam pads don't heat so much on the face either.)

What Meguiar's found was the movement on the Velcro side was causing frictional heat buildup. Imagine all those little hooks and loops, all twisting and pulling, banging up against one another thousands of times a minute.

That's what they came up with, and say in all their training classes to use *only* their backing plates as the pads and plates are designed to grip better to one another than a 'non' matching set.

Also... are you using ONLY the brush to clean the pads? I don't know if I'd trust it to get them as clean as they really like to be. Doesn't take a big compressor, but air is the key to getting them clean between section passes.
    A pad shouldn't delaminate after two 2'x2' sections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flex 3401 and microfiber pads to not vibe well together. The forced rotation of this machine makes the pad heat up very quick and also become cake like. The only microfiber pad I use on this machine is the optimum or with the LC rotory microfiber pads. The rotory version of this pad has a larger foam core interface to help with the panels curves. I tend only to use pc style DA's with mf pads anymore. It's the nature of the beast and mf pads were i tended for these types of machines to work on low speeds and slow sectional passes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast