autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Petition to change the dancing banana code!

Please sign here!!

Ok, I love the dancing banana () and use it often but if someone is viewing on some devices they do not see the dancing banana. Instead they see the words "I'm the MAN". This bothers me a lot and I would love to see the code changed behind the scenes by AG to something similar to what the code is on other sites. For instance "dancebanana" would make plenty of sense.

PRETTY PLEASE?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Petition to change the dancing banana code!

When I'm using the AGO app that I downloaded from the app store, I don't see any of the icons. When I use the browser to view AGO I can see the icons.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Mike Phillips

For those that might not know, emoticons are specific text code that the Admin of a vBulletin discussion forum can force your browser to display as a graphic anytime the specific code is typed into a message.

To see what the code for any give emoticon looks like simply switch to Editor Mode. Here's an article that explains how to do this,

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections

This is for anyone that's not sure how to use the Editor Mode in vBulletin to tweak their code or to break a large section of quoted material into smaller bites-size sections.

For example, the dancing banana looks like this in Editor Mode when you can see the code,

When I switch back to WYSIWYG mode, it looks like this and would be dancing...

So here's the issue, EVERYWHERE throughout all the posts on this forum that the code is typed for the dancing banana it shows up as a dancing banana. If you modify the code via the Adman panel to make the code for the dancing banana something else, like what Corey suggested,

dancebanana

Then everywhere the the old code is will turn from a dancing banana to the words, Im the man

There may be a workaround that some vBulletin code monkey might know about including doing a search and replace throughout the entire AGO vBulletin database but I don't know.

There also might be some risk involved with implementing some type of global changes which could cause more problems than it fixes.

This is why anytime you bring up a vBulletin forum and start installing custom emoticons you want to be very careful when choosing the text used by vBulletin to display the emoticons.

I don't know if the above all made sense but I think it's accurate.

So in other words... the change probably isn't going to happen but Jason would be the guy to look into it and make a decision and to be honest there's so much going on this time of year this kind of request probably won't make it to the "A-List" and might not even get onto the "B-List" of things to do. (just a guess)

Hate to play Debbie Downer at 9:00am in the morning...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there is a way to go back and change it. Not saying this would be the correct way to do it, but in my limited code knowledge, I know things exist such as "if/else" statements. "If" this one item/number/whatever exists, then do this action. So if this item/number/whatever doesn't exist ("else") then do this action. I hope this kinda makes sense. This type of code is very basic (heck it can be done in excel, which is in itself a VERY VERY powerful tool). I'm sure the more programming savvy people have ways of back referencing things.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

It bothers me too. When reading a post on my phone sometimes it's confusing since at the end of a sentence it just says "I'm the man". I didn't realize it was the banana until checking on the site later. Not a big deal, but it would be cool if it could be changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Corey - you can use the image link and '[img]' tags.

so remove the ' : ['img]http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/dancebanana1si.gif[/img]

Perhaps an additional 'alias' can be added for Mr. Banana as as the default going forward that on the back end still handles properly.

Actually now that I think about it all of this is in a database, they can change the 'im the man' to something different, then just run a basic search/replace in the database so it doesn't break old posts.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Please sign here!!

Ok, I love the dancing banana () and use it often but if someone is viewing on some devices they do not see the dancing banana. Instead they see the words "I'm the MAN". This bothers me a lot and I would love to see the code changed behind the scenes by AG to something similar to what the code is on other sites. For instance "dancebanana" would make plenty of sense.

PRETTY PLEASE?
    But Corey, You are da MAN!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby, those were my initial thoughts too!
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    So here's the issue, EVERYWHERE throughout all the posts on this forum that the code is typed for the dancing banana it shows up as a dancing banana. If you modify the code via the Adman panel to make the code for the dancing banana something else, like what Corey suggested,

dancebanana

Then everywhere the the old code is will turn from a dancing banana to the words, Im the man

There may be a workaround that some vBulletin code monkey might know about including doing a search and replace throughout the entire AGO vBulletin database but I don't know.

There also might be some risk involved with implementing some type of global changes which could cause more problems than it fixes.

This is why anytime you bring up a vBulletin forum and start installing custom emoticons you want to be very careful when choosing the text used by vBulletin to display the emoticons.

I don't know if the above all made sense but I think it's accurate.

So in other words... the change probably isn't going to happen but Jason would be the guy to look into it and make a decision and to be honest there's so much going on this time of year this kind of request probably won't make it to the "A-List" and might not even get onto the "B-List" of things to do. (just a guess)

Hate to play Debbie Downer at 9:00am in the morning...

Mike, I think I have solution...

Why not just "create a new emoticon that is is called dancebanana as proposed. Then simply replace the "I'm the MAN" emotican with the "dancebanana" in the list of available options. You then simply move "I'm the MAN" option into a hidden location. This way you don't have to delete it.

By doing this you retain all of the old code and posts but update all future posts with a more "understandable" code.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna be the man though!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast