autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable Packages

First off let me say that my buying experience with AG was great and customer service and shippingwas prompt and correct even to western Canada.

I do have one comment about the packages offered however. I did some research before I purchased but obviously not enough. I selected Meguiars soft buff pads with the 105/205 polishes. After it arrived however I read about the diameter of these pads being to large for the PC to turn, I figured that this must not be true because AG offered these pads as a kit so it must work fine and put it out of my mind. I recently did my first correction with the kit and found that in fact the PC could not reliably turn the pads. Itmade the job very tedious to try and kep the pads turning and I don't think I was able to apply enough pressure to get the results I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong the car (2008 Black Mustang GT/CS) looks alot better however I am confident I could have made it near perfect with the right pads.

My only suggestion is to maybe not offer the PC with 6.5 inch and up pads. i take responsibility for not researching it better but it is just a suggestion to reduce the possibility of newby buyers having a less than a 100% positive experience.

I will continue to order from AG just wanted to offer some constructive feedback. I will be ordering some 5.5 inch lake country flat pads in the near future and trying my pc again. I was entirely happy with the Megs polishes and sealants.

Thanks for reading

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable Packages

did you add the washer to the PC ??? While 5.5 inch pads really seem to help the PC , the 6.5 pads should work well enough and move even with some pressure. All pads are somewhat polish dependant also, so really choosing the right polishes will help also.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

All I've ever used is 6.5" pads and have never had a problem. Are 5.5" better? Well, yes but they are almost never offered in a PC kit from here or anywhere else for that matter. A vendor with some smarts (hint hint) should put one together and offer it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    All I've ever used is 6.5" pads and have never had a problem. Are 5.5" better? Well, yes but they are almost never offered in a PC kit from here or anywhere else for that matter. A vendor with some smarts (hint hint) should put one together and offer it.
    Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze
    and if this is the kit you bought....Meguiars Porter Cable Soft Buff Polishing Kit, Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads, Porter Cable 7424 DA Polisher, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Kit idk why they would make a kit with 7 in pads. i dont even use 7in pads on my rotary
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the porter cable with 6.5" pads all the time with no probles.

What no one has said yet is that the technique used is a large part of the results. I have put some tape on my backing plate so I can always see how fast its rotating.

You did not say what setting you had it on. At low setting its easy to stop the rotation, but at the highest speeds its not easy at all to stop rotation.

If the 6.5" pads didn't work properly no one would sell them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. Admittedly I am new to paint correction and with practice I would have done better. I did have the setting at 5 and it did turn the pad slowly if it was perfectly flat but it was a fairly tedious job to keep the pad rotating. I will persevere but a set of 5.5 flat lake country pads and backing plate are on my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wild.bill View Post
    If the 6.5" pads didn't work properly no one would sell them.
    Have you heard of a rotary or a Flex DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Have you heard of a rotary or a Flex DA?
    I was talking about the PC kits with 6.5" pads being sold, and I have heard about and own a rotary (with 7" pads) and a Flex. Use them when I want more or faster cut rather then smaller pads on the PC for large area's. I only use smaller pads on the PC when focusing and a small problem area.

I happen to like using the 6.5" pads on the PC. It works well with my technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 6.5 w/ my PC since I got it & thought it worked fine but not as good as I thought it should. Then I read about the issues & tried the 5.5. Definite improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

As several have pointed out, the 6.5" pads will work just fine but it's easier with the 5.5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast