For those who don't yet know, Amazon pay is very convenient but has one flaw. It doesn't allow you to use your gift card balance for purchases.

This may not be an issue to some. I discovered this when I went to buy my Porter Cable DA. I had saved up for some time to get the Perfect Starter Kit and a few other items from Autogeek. I had planned to use a credit card and pay off the balance immediately to avoid interest charges, etc.

When I spotted the Amazon Pay option, I decided to use it since I can get Amazon gift cards at my local grocery store and earn fuel perks (10 cents off a gallon for every $50 you spend) in the process. I purchased a $300 gift card (slightly more than the total cost of my Autogeek wishlist) and added the balance to my Amazon account. Only after I built my order and went to check out did I discover that the gift card balance was not available to use for check out.

It turns out that I got lucky and spotted the Autogeek logo on the same kit on Amazon, and built an order there. I then came back to Autogeek to get the rest of the items (plus a few more) which put a more manageable charge on my credit card.

The DA kit arrived to day, with the extra red pads, but minus Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback (not complaining as neither of the extras were promised on Amazon) but with a much appreciated Autogeek coupon for a future purchase.

Not a complaint by any means, I just wanted to share that tidbit just in case anyone else may run into a similar situation.