autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready - JustJesus Experience

Thank you all for sharing.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Great review of your experience! I would love to take part in one of these, but between life and living in the northeast it is just not feasible for me right now.

Bruce Meyer's collection is one of a kind! It is one of my favorite collections. The black 32 ford roadster with the hard top is known as the Doane Spencer Roadster, it was one of the most important vehicles that created a new way/trend of custom building 1932 Ford Roadsters. It is built in the "Low-Boy" style.

I believe the Corvette that you liked so much is recognized as the first "Airbox" Corvette, as it featured a ram-air style box that forced air into the engine for more power. It was an experimental car built by GM R&D, and was expected to dominate its class in SCCA for that season.

I think what I like about Bruce's collection is that is not comprised or focused on collector cars for status symbol reasons, it is comprised of cars for their stories and their enjoyment!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Great explanation of the whole deal. It's funny because I was a bit nervous as well, but most of it had to do with getting there on time because I didn't want to be late. [and the LA traffic was a nightmare that morning] Luckily I just did make it on time.Competition Ready - JustJesus Experience
    Thanks. - Yeah, that whole area can get crazy with traffic. I was taken through some streets I've never been on, just Southeast of Downtown LA. Potholes so big, I feared my little Yaris would be swallowed up! Glad you made it on time, too

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry0 View Post
    Great story. Thanks for sharing. I've worked with Mike a few times at the AutoGeek show car garage in SoFla. He's a great guy to work with. Really knows his stuff and he's a great teacher. But, I don't think I could do what you did. That took some courage. Really glad it worked out so well for you.
    Thanks, and you're welcome. Must be nice to be so close to the shop!!! - I wasn't sure i could do it, either, until I was there. Then I just went to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    Very happy for ya! Glad you were able to join the in the experience! I can only imagine how fun it was
    Thank you, sir. I was glad, too. We did have fun doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    Thank you all for sharing.
    From me, you're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    Great review of your experience! I would love to take part in one of these, but between life and living in the northeast it is just not feasible for me right now.

Bruce Meyer's collection is one of a kind! It is one of my favorite collections. The black 32 ford roadster with the hard top is known as the Doane Spencer Roadster, it was one of the most important vehicles that created a new way/trend of custom building 1932 Ford Roadsters. It is built in the "Low-Boy" style.

I believe the Corvette that you liked so much is recognized as the first "Airbox" Corvette, as it featured a ram-air style box that forced air into the engine for more power. It was an experimental car built by GM R&D, and was expected to dominate its class in SCCA for that season.

I think what I like about Bruce's collection is that is not comprised or focused on collector cars for status symbol reasons, it is comprised of cars for their stories and their enjoyment!
    Thank you. If you ever get a chance, jump on it!

It's definitely a nice collection. '32 Fords are still some of my all time favorites, and part of the reason one of my emails I've had for 20+ years is "deucekid" - I studied that car for some time. I loved it. The top on it was slick.

Not sure about the "airbox" - I think the first ones were in 1957. The one here is a 1960. But, it did have an interesting hood vent / piece...

This particular car is said to be one of three that took to Le Mans for the first time in 1960. Here are a couple of shots from the GM Archives.

Mr. Meyer seems to really love racing. I totally forgot to take pics of one of the newer, yellow Vettes that I used to watch racing in the American Le Mans series, as well as others. I would enjoy seeing them do battle with the Astons.

Here's some info, courtesy of Autoweek.com, on Bruce Meyer and the 1929 Bentley we worked on:

The Bentley, the 1929 4 ½ Litre, is not a supercharged model, Meyer insisted. And it's the real deal, too. "The blowers never won Le Mans. These won Le Mans. There's so many replicas, they're like Cobras: you just assume it's a replica." He's owned it for three years, where it mostly spent time in Europe and participated in a 1,000 mile classic rally

Mike Phillips

Wow!

Great write-up to share your experience. Thank you!

Excellent work with the pictures too!

Can't type much, leaving for California out of PBE at 7:00am tomorrow morning, getting up at 4:00am then travelling all day, shoot all the next day then travel all day back. Then on Saturday, it's our Saturday Cars & Coffee show.

Working on TV is a lot of behind the scenes work no one ever sees but reading a thread like this and the one posted by Mike aka The Guz is very rewarding.

Thanks buddy...

Post Thanks / Like

Great read and great photos. I think most of us were pretty nervous when we got there. But as you said once Mike P. came and gathered us around things calmed down.

I agree with everything you mentioned about Mike, AJ and Yancy. All good people.

It was great meeting everyone on the team and working with all of you. Was a fun experience. Maybe we will get lucky again and work on another episode together.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to see the new season, expect it to be much better based on our input for sure!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

As a massive vintage racing fan, that is a grand collection. There is some serious money sitting there, and some enginering marvels. Wow thanks for sharing such a cool experience. I would have been awestruck, some of my absolute all time favorites, and you lucky guys had a great opportunity to work some magic on them. Fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing opportunity and writeup! Thank you for sharing... the story and the pictures!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow!

Great write-up to share your experience. Thank you!

Excellent work with the pictures too!

Can't type much, leaving for California out of PBE at 7:00am tomorrow morning, getting up at 4:00am then travelling all day, shoot all the next day then travel all day back. Then on Saturday, it's our Saturday Cars & Coffee show.

Working on TV is a lot of behind the scenes work no one ever sees but reading a thread like this and the one posted by Mike aka The Guz is very rewarding.

Thanks buddy...

Thanks, Mike! Your compliments are much appreciated. I'm not the best writer, or that great behind the camera, but I try.

I was glad to be able to share the experience with the forum. No doubt, there is WAY so much going on behind the scenes. I don't know how you manage with such a crazy and full schedule! On a bright side, there's the travel involved.

You're plenty welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great read and great photos. ...

It was great meeting everyone on the team and working with all of you. Was a fun experience. Maybe we will get lucky again and work on another episode together.
    Thanks, The Guz (goose?) I liked our "hidden from the camera" fun moments. If not lucky, perhaps we can meet up for a detail session, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
    As a massive vintage racing fan, that is a grand collection. There is some serious money sitting there, and some enginering marvels. Wow thanks for sharing such a cool experience. I would have been awestruck, some of my absolute all time favorites, and you lucky guys had a great opportunity to work some magic on them. Fantastic!
    You're welcome. I definitely was awestruck. I even forgot to take more pics of the cars. Kicked myself afterwards, as one of my other favorite Vettes was there

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    What an amazing opportunity and writeup! Thank you for sharing... the story and the pictures!!
    Thank you. And you're welcome. And, thanks for reading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12