autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to boat detailing

I'm just wondering when a customer brings you a boat to detail do you typically buff polish and wax etc the bottom of the boat? For me the customers brings the boat on a trailer to my shop and I don't see how you would be buffing the bottom! I would love to hear some ideas and what you other boat detailers do for customers... Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to boat detailing

I just did a friend's new (to him) bass boat. I just did everything above the water line. Being a bass boat, it was put in and pulled for each use, as opposed to a boat that is moored somewhere. Everything below the water line was in pretty good shape. I would check with the customer to see what his expectations are.
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to boat detailing

-High Pressure Water Treatment and Hand Wash
    -Stain Removal
    -Dual Action Orbiter Compound and Polish of Outer Haul (Including Bridge)
    -Canvas Cleaned
    -Canvas Eisenglass Windows Cleaned
    -Hand Wax of Outer Haul (Including Bridge)
    -Interior Cockpit Seats Scrubbed
    -Interior Cockpit Dash Cleaned
    -Interior Cockpit Storage Compartments Cleaned
    -Interior and Exterior Glass Cleaned and Polished
    -Fenders and Line Cleaned
    -Personal Items Cleaned and Neatly Organized (per owner consent)

Essentially that for $25-30 per foot. Most boats near me are kept all year in water except for service/detail/extreme weather, but in water = disgusting. Most have anti-fouling paint, so from there up. I have removed anti-fouling and reapplied for some of my more loyal customers it but thats for another day. Then I have packages for less money like wash, wax, polish, weekly, interior, etc..

I am mobile, so I mainly go to marinas. Usually boats are on blocks or trailer but most trailers do not touch the "above surface" haul. Also I really don't like to do boats under 23ish feet as they are less deep therefore I have to lower my prices. Like a bass boat I would decline, unless it was just a wash and wax, which can still be about $10 per foot, but for bassers or other small boats I usually apply like 2 coats of wax, one a standard cleaning wax and the other a "shining wax". I also will usually wax the trailer as some of the have like matching graphics. I do because it costs me probably $2 and maybe 20 minutes, and customers enjoy it. I don't want to shaft them as it is bad for business