autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what pads to use on my DA for heavy oxidation?

I haven't gotten an answer on my last thread in the OT area about a couple questions I have but so far some have been very helpful ; this forum section is in an odd place as its in "brand specific forums" but ok its here and it works.

I know what products to get as far as liquids (polishes, waxes, etc) but I've been reading it seems that most use wool? But I understand that wool leaves behind some expected undesirable results and then need to be fixed with a foam pad?

So what do I get? medium cut foam to fix up the stuff the wool pads leave behind? What kind of wool pads do I get? All I want to do is bring back a shine, not a show shine.

I'm still not getting an answer regarding holograms whether or not I will see those with a meguiar's one step polish/shine; like I said in my last thread if it were my boat this probably wouldn't be an issue but its not my boat and I am not sure they care but I'd like to have the knowledge of whether this is going to happen or likely or not, etc.

So once I know what pads to get (I am familiar with LC and chemical guys) I'll be able to hunt down the sizes I need (it seems that its harder to get 6" wool pads for some reason, most are 7" or bigger).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what pads to use on my DA for heavy oxidation?

It doesn't get talked about a whole lot around here but the surbuf pads (with a DA) are pretty aggressive when used with a compound. In most cases you will need to follow up with a polishing/finishing pad and polish to remove any hazing/micro-marring...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Marine 31 Forum might yield better results for gel coat info

There is a link at the bottom of this page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    It doesn't get talked about a whole lot around here but the surbuf pads (with a DA) are pretty aggressive when used with a compound. In most cases you will need to follow up with a polishing/finishing pad and polish to remove any hazing/micro-marring...

never heard of a surbuf pad; so a LC finishing pad would work? And what kind of polish since I'm planning on using a meguiars one step polish? (I guess I should look for some kind of finishing polish for the gelcoat then)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The Marine 31 Forum might yield better results for gel coat info

There is a link at the bottom of this page
    yep I've seen that link, I'll head over there too

Post Thanks / Like

The surbuf on a DA does work very well. Also, TufBuf wool pads work VERY well and can typically finish down very nice. If you're trying to stay with Meg's, get some Ultimate Compound and some Ultimate Polish which are available otc. Or if you want something with a little more muscle step up to M105 and M205. You can tackle a lot with those products.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
    never heard of a surbuf pad; so a LC finishing pad would work? And what kind of polish since I'm planning on using a meguiars one step polish? (I guess I should look for some kind of finishing polish for the gelcoat then)
    A finishing pad will not effectively cut thru oxidation on gel coat, even with an aggressive compound

Most pros who work on gel coat a lot use a rotary with wool pads

Since you are using a DA there are still some good options paired with compound. Here are a few:

- Surbuf
    - Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool (get the thin)
    - Lake Country Yellow CCS
    - Tufbuf Black Wool

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    A finishing pad will not effectively cut thru oxidation on gel coat, even with an aggressive compound

Most pros who work on gel coat a lot use a rotary with wool pads

Since you are using a DA there are still some good options paired with compound. Here are a few:

- Surbuf
    - Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool (get the thin)
    - Lake Country Yellow CCS
    - Tufbuf Black Wool
    So at least I got the general idea that wool is to be used; these LC purple wool pads are not as common yet easily found unlike the foam pads.

Is there a reason to use wool instead of foam heavy cut pads?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    The surbuf on a DA does work very well. Also, TufBuf wool pads work VERY well and can typically finish down very nice. If you're trying to stay with Meg's, get some Ultimate Compound and some Ultimate Polish which are available otc. Or if you want something with a little more muscle step up to M105 and M205. You can tackle a lot with those products.
    Ok so I'm a little confused; I realize that 105 and 205 are superb stuff, but it doesn't say its for marine use and really I haven't thought about using this stuff on my vehicles. I only have waxes right now I don't even have any compounds for doing my autos yet.

I just learned that I might be better off just using M91 which is the most abrasive and leaves no mess behind? (so how does this compare with M105/205?)

Trying to keep it simple as possible; I have two autos I also maintain as well and I try to keep that as simple and consistent with my steps; too many changes/variations in anything confuses me.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
    Ok so I'm a little confused; I realize that 105 and 205 are superb stuff, but it doesn't say its for marine use and really I haven't thought about using this stuff on my vehicles. I only have waxes right now I don't even have any compounds for doing my autos yet.

I just learned that I might be better off just using M91 which is the most abrasive and leaves no mess behind? (so how does this compare with M105/205?)

Trying to keep it simple as possible; I have two autos I also maintain as well and I try to keep that as simple and consistent with my steps; too many changes/variations in anything confuses me.
    The folks on this Forum, including myself are more familiar with the Automotive compounds and polishes; that's why you keep getting pushed in that way

From what I have read M91 is an aggressive compound and can be used with a DA or Rotary, so it seems a good fit for your needs

Make sure you post some "Before & Afters"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast