autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Help with 21ft 1991 Bayliner Trophy Boat Hardtop

Hiya fellas,

Looks like I'm about to make my foray into boat detailing--and how! As you can tell by my thread title, it's a 21 foot 1991 Bayliner Trophy Boat with a hardtop.

Here are some of the aspects pertaining to the boat that the client shared with me on the phone today:
    • The Gel Coat is dull and hazy
    • Gel coat is not terribly neglected, and doesn't have any obvious signs of severe age, swirls, or chips
    • The botton hull portion of the boat is VERY dull and in need of extreme attention (he believes this is because it's the portion that sits in the water and has a special coating on it to resist the elements)
    • He tried a test-spot, by hand, with 3M's "Marine Restorer & Wax" and was highly impressed by the results -- but is certain that for such a large vessel the boat would need to be tended to entirely by machine (I have a FLEX and a Makita)

So, with those little doodads in your noggin... hows about we tackle a couple questions to get my "sailing" in the right direction as I enter the realm of watercraft refinement, please:
    1. What product, or products (since I'll likely have to do a two phase polish/sealant) is ideal and time-tested as a proven performer in the aquatic world of gel-coats? (I know there is never a "best" product - I've been doing this for over a decade - but what would yield amazing cleaning and polishing/glossing results in one, or two steps with regards to a boat?
    2. What RPM should I use while polishing?
    3. For boats over 20 feet and with a hardtop, what is a usual approximation of a quote for just the exterior, and the exterior AND interior?
    4. Will I need a special sealant or wax to apply after compounding/polishing?
    5. Lastly, what type of pad(s) should I use? I have all types of foam, but can purchase some other materials if necessary

I imagine the project to be similar to: THIS from the description on the phone (he does not own a phone so he cannot MMS) I am also attaching an image to this post for reference.

A thousand thank yous!! I'm very excited to apply the techniques and methods from motorcycles and motorcars over to the boat crowd, mateys! Ahoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with 21ft 1991 Bayliner Trophy Boat Hardtop-trophy-boat-hardtop-denny-babb-jpg  
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization