autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey Mike - sealants on Awlgrip?

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    That's one sick looking Camaro!

+ 1 mate !

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the LP's like Awlgrip be very sensitive, in the marine environment. They recommend no abrasive polishes, not even wax,( they say it can yellow the finish). No acids, even metal polish. More info here: http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-a...intenance.aspx. Once the shell has been Compromised by , buffing,solvents,cleaners, or any friction. There's really no way to resore the gloss besides reprinting it. I know there are topside paints that u can polish, and are less affected by cleaners @ solvents ect... I've maintained some boats that use Imron paint and they hold up extremely well and they are polish able.

Mike Phillips

Re: Hey Mike - sealants on Awlgrip?

Wow Glen! That really looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post

Some of the LP's like Awlgrip be very sensitive, in the marine environment.

They recommend no abrasive polishes, not even wax,( they say it can yellow the finish). No acids, even metal polish.
    That is correct.

I found these pictures that are supposed to show what it looks like when you buff through the outer shell of Awlgrip Paint.

Here's I've drawn a yellow line around the compromised area to make it easier to see...

So if you're working on Awlgrip or if you're going to pay someone to buff out your boat, make sure everyone is up to speed on the correct products for this type of coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen that same picture on the "sailnet" fourms". Would be nice if the factory would leave a Stamp somewhere of the paint type. Most owners I've talked to have no clue what the boats painted with, unless it was recently done. I've seen a lot of owners and contractors painting with Awlgrip and interlux. Is there a way to tell if a boats been painted, only way I can tell is by checking the lines by the non-skid and other joints. Some boat are obvious others some are hard to tell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12