autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1998 Oxidised boat. Opinions Needed!

Decided to join autogeek forums to seek out the various opinions. I'm a first-timer, and am working on my 1998 Searay 270. Have read through the forums quite a bit, but as you know, forums are filled with contradicting opinions and so I thought that the best way would be to post some pictures and get some opinions.

Firstly, I'm not exactly sure if this hull is considered as lightly, medium or heavily oxidised, but it does look like medium to me. There's no shine one it right now, and it does look slightly chalky.

I've been experimenting with numerous products and various foam pads - Buff Magic + Pro Polish, Meguiar's M67 One step Compound + M45 Polish + Collinite Wax & the whole range of Meguiar's foam pad but result hasn't exactly been stellar. All of these have been done with a Meguiar's DA Polisher and according to most instructions that I've seen online. A total of 2 - 3 compounding passes, followed by 2 passes of polish and 1 wax. Attached is the result of the test area.

I'm really looking for that deep gloss, but I'm not too sure if my expectations are too high, and if these results are actually considered "good enough". Basically, I'm hoping to get a finish that is 90 - 95% new without wet sanding, and current results has been a little disappointing - There's a shine, but hardly a deep gloss and shine is really only visible at certain angles.

I'm considering investing in a Rotary + wool combination, but having read the meguiar's forum, the DA Polisher with the Burgundy cutting pad has been considered as a better alternative, and I've tried that and yet am unsatisfied with the results.

Can you experienced detailers out there take a look at my image and processes and point me in the right direction?

Would going rotary really bring about a big improvement?

Pictures!

=136876361&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1]1998 Sea Ray Restoration Photo by gabriel_ong1 | Photobucket

1998 Sea Ray Restoration Photo by gabriel_ong1 | Photobucket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1998 Oxidised boat. Opinions Needed!-img_1247-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: 1998 Oxidised boat. Opinions Needed!

To that looks like medium oxidation, bording on light oxidation.

Gel-coats seem to really like wool cutting and finishing pads on rotary buffers for maximum gloss instead of foam pads on any tool.

Check this out... note that all the pictures and the process are documented in the link below, I just copied a few of the before and after pictures.

Pictures: 2000 Baja 232 Boss High Performance Extreme Makeover

BEFORE

AFTER

Hows that for clean and glossy?

Here's depth and reflection...

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax. This product will remove the oxidation and surface staining in one step while depositing a durable layer of wax.

If you don't have access to a high-speed rotary polisher as Mike said, you can make the best of your DA with Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads. These pads provide more cut than a conventional foam pad and, thanks to their thin design, are able to be efficiently rotated on a DA polisher.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax + Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads = shiny, well protected gel coat (in one step!)

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax

Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike & Nick for the recommendations. I would be quite keen to try the Marine 31 products given glowing recommendations.

I'm thinking about the thin foamed wool pads too but have yet to see much results around.

Speaking of which, if I were to get a rotary, would you think that it makes a big difference the brand of the rotary? Say a Makita vs a regular Bosch/ HF one. I'm not exactly looking to use it for the long-run so thought if I could get away with an average one. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just add...from some of my experiences, there are SOME gel-coats that just won't pop. They seem to only just so shiny and deep and no matter what else you try...that's it. I should also add, this can happen on (even) new boats/RVs.

Frustrating as all get out (along with A LOT of un-family friendly words, LOL).

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielgiggs View Post
    Thanks Mike & Nick for the recommendations. I would be quite keen to try the Marine 31 products given glowing recommendations.

I'm thinking about the thin foamed wool pads too but have yet to see much results around.
    Check out this thread: 16' Key Largo Center Console Boat Detailing Class with Marine 31

Speaking of which, if I were to get a rotary, would you think that it makes a big difference the brand of the rotary? Say a Makita vs a regular Bosch/ HF one. I'm not exactly looking to use it for the long-run so thought if I could get away with an average one. What do you guys think?
    I'm not familiar with Bosche's line of rotary polishers, however I can tell you that we've carried Makita for years and complaints are virtually non-existent. The Makita 9227 is built like a tank and will surely provide years of dependable service.

I'm not a fan of buying "temporary" tools. The entire point of purchasing a tool is to make a task easier, so why sell yourself short and get something that's only going to last a year or two, tops?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies!

One more question;

Typically, with the kind of oxidation that you are seeing, how many pass would be required to bring about such a shine, say with a Rotary + Wool pad?

Post Thanks / Like

i cant recommend wool and a rotary enough for gelcoat.

i have the makita 9227 and it is a beast.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies!

One more question;

Typically, with the kind of oxidation that you are seeing, how many pass would be required to bring about such a shine, say with a Rotary + Wool pad?
    A wool pad on a rotary polisher cuts through oxidation pretty quickly - it wouldn't take more than a couple passes before you start to reveal the shiny gel coat underneath.

Mike Phillips

Watch this...

Before and After Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast