autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time detailing -- 18' boat (picture)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4 View Post
    I take care of the boat. Both of my boats get hand washed after each use. No matter how long it's been in the water. I just don't want to waste an extra day for a little bit of extra shine. Fishing is kicking off

How 'bout a brake check and a flip of the switch on the Jakes, hand:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    ...Before you compound it, if the oxidation is light, I would suggest trying a one-step cleaner/wax with your DA Polisher with either a foam cutting pad or polishing pad. Also, place a tape-line down the side of the hull and only work on one side and see if you can dial in the right speed and pressure to restore a clear, high gloss finish.

It seems to me that sometimes gel-coats and old lacquer paints react best to high speed buffing. (My bolding)

Any good cleaner/wax would probably be good to try, Meguiar's #6 or the M50 if you have them... XMT 360, Mother's cleaner/wax, Optimum Poli-Seal, or any reputable cleaner/wax. Preferably a liquid.

If that doesn't do anything then like master detailer posted, try a light compound with a foam cutting pad on your DA Polisher.

I have not tired the Microfiber DA Pads on gel-coats yet but I have my boat here today so maybe I'll give it a try. Might not be able to get to it till tomorrow though.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    30 years ago I used to spend my non-flying time cleaning up commuter aircraft at night. These things never got washed other than perhaps the windows. While the maintenance guys were doing their thing we used to clean 'em up with gallons of Collinite Sapphire Cleaner/Wax using a rotary and Schlegel 8" wool pads. 1-step clean, polish and wax. Like all Collinite products the protection was pretty good. The planes didn't even get washed first! It took of years off contamination and even removed the exhaust stains under the wings.

On something hard like Imron or fiberglass, gel coat etc I'd think this would be the ticket. My bolding
    The stuff is a bit stout with wool. I tried it on my car with wool and an old electric Wen polisher back in the day and put more swirls into it than I removed. Those guys used to pitch all the wool pads every night after 1 use and I'd dig 'em out and throw 'em in the washer. Still have a few of 'em. Collinite Liquid Sapphire Auto Wax #SS126, Liquid Car Wax, Collinite sapphire wax

If this works out for you gallons are available direct from Collinite.

TL
    Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot on foam first.

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up some wool bonnets from HF Saturday to try out this rotary and see first hand how this boat detailing was going to be... The Atwood cleaner wax actually removed enough oxidation to give me some reflection in the gel coat in one of the more oxidized areas. However I tried another test spot where the Sailfish stickers were removed and it did not remove the 'ghost' lettering at all. I actually couldn't tell a difference at all from the test spot and the rest of the exterior of the hull.

Will a polishing product remove the ghost lettering or do I need something a little stronger?

I'm going to try the marine 31 line.

Was thinking about using the Oxidation remover, final step polish, the then Wax & Sealant for the interior and just the polish and wax/sealant for the exterior. (If the polish will removing the ghosting)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I layed some Marine 31 AIO Polish and Wax on both the inside and outside of the hull and I must say it looks MUCH better. The only thing that it didn't cure was the 'ghosting' from the letters and the water line stickers.

Over all I'm pleased, but I want to put some Wax/sealant on it to maintain my work a little longer.

How do yall suggest applying and removing the Collinite wax? Should I apply by hand and remove with the buffer or should I just use the buffer for both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4 View Post
    Well I layed some Marine 31 AIO Polish and Wax on both the inside and outside of the hull and I must say it looks MUCH better. The only thing that it didn't cure was the 'ghosting' from the letters and the water line stickers.

Over all I'm pleased, but I want to put some Wax/sealant on it to maintain my work a little longer.

How do yall suggest applying and removing the Collinite wax? Should I apply by hand and remove with the buffer or should I just use the buffer for both?
    On boats I use a Blue finishing pad and cover the boat in a thin layer. I let it dry a bit and then wipe it off. Rememeber the directions on the label are for optimal conditions. Be wary of the humidty, light and so forth of your work area. Consider these and your gut will notify you when its time to remove the wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my question, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly...

You are applying the Wax with the buffer and wiping the "haze" off with a cloth, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Also,

By chance if you should ever want to try and get *more shine*, try doing a search for forum username B&B Tennessee. Anthony has produced some outstanding shine on some terrible looking and heavily neglected boats. It goes without saying that Anthony has perfected his technique.

By saying *more shine* I mean extreme (Anthony is good at creating this type of shine)...as in better than new, imo. However, if you're just a fisherman looking to maintain your boat any of the 4 products I mentioned should serve you well.

*More shine* requires a ton of work, but it sure does look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony@zerboautoworks View Post
    Rotary buffer is most effective on gelcoat.

+1 B&B, did you see the blue and white boat he did recently, I seen it on facebook and all I can say is WOW.

Just happened to read through this post - and thank you guys for the awesome compliments! There are some good 1 or 2 step products out there for boats, but we choose to 3,4,5 step neglected boats - and each step, proper technique, and proper products are all key to producing the results that we have been lucky to acquire. It is basically similar to doing a Full Correction on an auto - tons of work and working panel by panel.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123