autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wetsanding

Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanding

Haven't really explored this area yet any tips on grits, backing plates, pressure, motion used? I've done some basic WS but pretty sure i was doing it wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    Haven't really explored this area yet any tips on grits, backing plates, pressure, motion used? I've done some basic WS but pretty sure i was doing it wrong
    Supplies you'll most likely need:

GG 3" DA polisher (Griot's Garage Professional Random Orbital 3 Inch Polisher, Random Orbit Buffer, Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer)

3M Trizact Sanding Disks: 3000 and 5000 grit (3M Trizact Hookit 3 Inch Foam Discs P3000, 3m spot repair discs, abrasive discs and 3M Trizact 3 Inch 5000 Grit Foam Disc 30362, sanding discs, 3m spot repair discs)

Meguiar's Unigrit Backing Plate (Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Professional Backing Plate and Adaptor Kit, backing plate with adapters, meguiars backup pad)

Meguiar's Unigrit 3" Foam Interface (very important - Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Foam Interface Pad, foam backup pad, sanding disc interface)

Spray bottle full of water

How to do it

• Attach Unigrit Foam Interfact to Unigrit Backing Plate, then attach 3M 3000 grit sanding disc
    • Lightly mist defect to be sanding and also mist the 3000 grit sanding disc
    • Turn on the polisher. Work on the slowest speed possible that still ROTATES THE PAD
    • Apply light pressure with your fingertips on the head of the polisher
    • Repeat with 5000 grit sanding discs
    • Buff out your sanding marks (I like Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover)
    • Apply the sealant and wax of your choice to the sanded area
    • Have fun!
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thks for the advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    • Attach Unigrit Foam Interfact to Unigrit Backing Plate, then attach 3M 3000 grit sanding disc
    • Lightly mist defect to be sanding and also mist the 3000 grit sanding disc
    • Turn on the polisher. Work on the slowest speed possible that still ROTATES THE PAD
    • Apply light pressure with your fingertips on the head of the polisher
    • Repeat with 5000 grit sanding discs
    • Buff out your sanding marks (I like Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover)
    • Apply the sealant and wax of your choice to the sanded area
    • Have fun!
    A rotating pad is one of the leading causes of pigtails. You want to use enough pressure so that the pad does not rotate, yet efficiently removes the material. I normally use speed 3-4 on my older PC. On a newer machine it might be from 2-3.

Don't forget to add a tiny drop of car wash soap to your spray bottle to give the disk some lubricity.

Removing sanding scratches on cured paint is not easy. Sure, you should always use the least aggressive method, but the least aggressive method will not remove any pigtails or areas that may contain deeper defects. That is why I strongly suggest going with something more aggressive, like D300 or M105 on some sort of cutting pad.

5k Trizact does make it a bit easier to polish, but this is really an optional step. Unless it is a difficult to polish area, I recommend doing a thorough 3k sanding step and then start to remove your scratches.
    Chris