autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Black hull

Post Thanks / Like

Black hull

30ft chaparral with black hull(gel coat), trying to figure out if parts of it are fried/failing. Here are my observations, there are of areas of the hull that appear to be oxidation, upon a closer look the area is slightly faded with what looks like burned/etched in water spots. They 90% disappear after a polish , in a matter of weeks after the oil evaporates the spots come right back. Do you think these are permanent or superficial? We use imperial&finish material and then 2 coats of collinite paste wax. If the spots can't be removed any ideas on the best Technique/products to keep them hidden longer. One side of the hull is in direct sunlight most of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black hull

Do you have any pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black hull

What polish are you using,Does it have any correcting ability or is it a glaze ?

Meguiars and 3M make some good polishes for gelcoat. The last time I worked on my boat,I used Meguiars M67 followed by Meguiars Flagship Marine Wax with good results.

They have a couple of less aggressive polishes than this ,but make sure it has some correcting ability and its not just a polishing glaze. Try a test spot to see if it removes water spots.

Problem with Black, it gets hot and shows everything. If you dont wax your boat ,sometimes you can do a wipedown with 303 which protects from sun damage and gives it a temporary darkening effect which lasts for a while.

Having an all black boat ,i feel your pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black hull-sutphen-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll up load a pic tomorrow , mostly have just tried 3m imperial and finishing compound, and collinate paste wax 885. We put a few coats of farecla UV wax and a coat or 2 of the collinate, still burns off after a month. I haven't tried any pure polishes or waxes loaded with silicones and oils, or and glazes, or Sealants. It would be nice iv the boat was sandwiched between 2 larger ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black hull-imageuploadedbyagonline1363318569-374376-jpgBlack hull-imageuploadedbyagonline1363318584-136547-jpg