autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried topping BF Crystal Seal with wax?

I just started using BF Crystal Seal somewhat recently and love it! But I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a nice carnauba on top. Was thinking about topping with a paste or even just a spray wax(like midnight sun spray wax)to add protection and really just give it a boost. Or should I just stick to re-applying every month to month and a half?
    How are you guys going about this?
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone tried topping BF Crystal Seal with wax?

I've usually done the reverse. Once the vehicle is sealed with my LSP I use BFCS ever several weeks to give the LSP a boost or extra coat of protection.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I've usually done the reverse. Once the vehicle is sealed with my LSP I use BFCS ever several weeks to give the LSP a boost or extra coat of protection.
    Really? I wouldn't think to do that over a wax, because Crystal Seal is obviously a sealant, but maybe over another, longer-lasting sealant. Hadn't thought to do that, maybe I will give it a try at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    Really? I wouldn't think to do that over a wax, because Crystal Seal is obviously a sealant, but maybe over another, longer-lasting sealant. Hadn't thought to do that, maybe I will give it a try at some point.
    As I said, I do it after a few weeks. Haven't seen any issues at all with it bonding to the surface. Goes on clear and streak free. Love it.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    As I said, I do it after a few weeks. Haven't seen any issues at all with it bonding to the surface. Goes on clear and streak free. Love it.
    What have you tried it over, just out of curiosity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    What have you tried it over, just out of curiosity?
    Blackfire Montain - Hybrid
    Menzerma Powerlock - Synthetic
    Collinite 845

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO:

If BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal is truly a crystal clear
    sealer—therefore allowing the true beauty of
    paintwork, metal, glass, and plastics to show
    through—I would not apply a Wax over top of it.

Main reason being:
    "we have synthetic waxes, polymers and
    resins that have far more resilience than
    carnauba and enhance the gloss."

"Interestingly, carnauba (which people still
    want to see in a product) actually grays the
    surface of a vehicle."
    ~Barry Meguiar

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried topping BF Crystal Seal with wax?

It's not a question of can you top any sealant with a wax...yes you can...the question is why would you want to? Adding wax does not necessarily increase the longevity of the underlying sealant. That's a myth and I've proven it a 100 times in my many years of waxing over sealants and wearing my arms off. The sealant and wax as a layered "couple" start to deteriorate chemically at the same time as soon as they react with the air and the surface and chemicals on which they are applied. Therefore putting a short lived wax on top of a much longer duration sealant isn't necessarily helping the sealant, and in fact I would argue that in many cases the wax could actually decrease the duration of the underlying sealant if they don't play well together. Many combinations don't play well.

In my opinion if you want a product that looks like wax with the duration of a sealant, layering a wax over a sealant isn't the way to accomplish that. I've found that there are sealants that look as good as carnuba wax. One is 4 star sealant. Polish angel has a carnuba looking sealant. Even DG 105 has a carnuba look. There are even hybrids that fit the bill. I'm not a proponent of layering LSPs but I get the marketing and show car aspect of the business where carnuba is still king.

Then there is the examples where after hours of polishing you do not want the look changed. If you don't want it darkened or altered than wax isn't the answer especially on lighter colors.

I also get that lots of people just love to wax their cars. I went through that phase myself. It does have a fun feeling and yes detailing should be fun.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I am probably in the minority on this subject and I will have a different opinion than most. IMO applying a good quality canauba wax on top of a sealant does show a difference in terms of depth, wet-look and brilliance. Applying a wax over a sealant is my normal routine. My black ride is actually blacker after the wax.

Again, that is me and I know everyone has an opinion that will be different than mine....which is understandable.

:-)
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    It's not a question of can you top any sealant with a wax...yes you can...the question is why would you want to? Adding wax does not necessarily increase the longevity of the underlying sealant. That's a myth and I've proven it a 100 times in my many years of waxing over sealants and wearing my arms off. The sealant and wax as a layered "couple" start to deteriorate chemically at the same time as soon as they react with the air and the surface and chemicals on which they are applied. Therefore putting a short lived wax on top of a much longer duration sealant isn't necessarily helping the sealant, and in fact I would argue that in many cases the wax could actually decrease the duration of the underlying sealant if they don't play well together. Many combinations don't play well.

In my opinion if you want a product that looks like wax with the duration of a sealant, layering a wax over a sealant isn't the way to accomplish that. I've found that there are sealants that look as good as carnuba wax. One is 4 star sealant. Polish angel has a carnuba looking sealant. Even DG 105 has a carnuba look. There are even hybrids that fit the bill. I'm not a proponent of layering LSPs but I get the marketing and show car aspect of the business where carnuba is still king.

Then there is the examples where after hours of polishing you do not want the look changed. If you don't want it darkened or altered than wax isn't the answer especially on lighter colors.

I also get that lots of people just love to wax their cars. I went through that phase myself. It does have a fun feeling and yes detailing should be fun.
    That makes a lot of sense actually. I am a fan of the carnauba look, especially on my car(I have CS on my dad's truck right now), and do enjoy waxing a car. I'm not super constrained on time as I am just an enthusiast so I can usually afford to put on a nice coat of wax after every few washes or so. Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast