autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home garage must-haves

Just remember something even more important.... If u want that kinda juice in your garage.... Make sure your house has , at least , 200 amp service. If you buy a house with a 100 amp panel, you gonna be hurting for power

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky1,

Holy @#$%! Is that Amazing. Can say I have never seen a heated floor like that before. Very Stupid question though. Is that electric or is heated water ran through tubes?

Thanks Man!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garagehack View Post
    Rasky, that is incredible! I can't wait to hear how the BendPak SP-7X works out. I have seen a couple of them installed in builds at the garagejournal.com forum and if I was pouring a new garage floor I would go with the in-floor lift. They look so clean.
    Thanks! That's actually where I got the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by larry33 View Post
    Rasky..what epoxy flooring would u be looking at?
    Not sure yet. The concrete still needs to cure for a while and I'm looking at a few different options now. Lots of good recommendations on the Garage Journal forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    Rasky1,

Holy @#$%! Is that Amazing. Can say I have never seen a heated floor like that before. Very Stupid question though. Is that electric or is heated water ran through tubes?

Thanks Man!

Ray
    Heated water.

It's a single zone closed system with 4 loops. Natural gas heater/boiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    8. Outlets everywhere - Outlets are CHEAP. My builder alloyed a certain number of outlets, and then charged like $40 for each additional. I got a slew of them all around the garage.
    Unfortunately you have to be careful here. National Electric code says you can have 9x duplex outlets per 20A circuit. So while you may have 18 outlets, you may only have 2x 20A circuits to the garage. My garage doubles as a a Woodworking area and for example my dust collector alone pulls 20A. My Master Blaster pulls another 18.

I'm not saying that this is the case with yours, but a LOT of builders will cut corners and technically if they do as I described it's still by NEC and local code correct. In my case I pulled a 200A panel to the garage and am running 5x 110V 20a circuits and 2x 30A 240 V circuits for a 6000w overhead industrial heater and a drop for a compressor with room for expansion if needed. All is run with 10ga wire in EMT conduit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    So we're home shopping. We currently have a 1 car garage. I've never had a garage in my life, but one of the few criteria I have for our new home is that it must have a 3 car garage. My truck likely won't fit in it unless we build a new home (not happening) but I do like to tinker, and hope that some day there will be a restoration project in there, probably a 60's F-100 or C-10 (I like my trucks). The 3rd stall will more than likely never see a vehicle, it will probably be set up as a work area.

My must have list currently stands at:
    20 amp outlets every 6 feet on the walls
    220v outlet for welder/big compressor
    Floors epoxy coated (DIY, might look at rocksolid, not the water based garbage)
    Lots of shelving/cabinets.

What else would you add to that list? There are some good pics on the other thread, but while I'm sitting here, looking at snow, and my filthy cars, I'd like to know what you car junkies would have in your dream garage.
    For the 3 car garage, can you do a separate space, i.e. steel construction?

For the 20 amp outlets, I would bump those to 30 if possible. I know my hot water extractor uses right up to 19 amps. I had the electrician go with 30 amp.

For garage wants: I'd like a 3 garage with a drain and ability to run water inside of it, along with HVAC, fridge, bar, loft with temperpedic bed, entertainment room, bathroom, gas grill outside.... Hmmm. I think I just described my dream house.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
    Just remember something even more important.... If u want that kinda juice in your garage.... Make sure your house has , at least , 200 amp service. If you buy a house with a 100 amp panel, you gonna be hurting for power
    Do they still *HAVE* houses with only a 100 amp service entrance?
    That'd drive me NUTS! Considering my home theater system alone is on two 20 amp breakers.

Our last house was 100 amp box that I upgraded to 150, and it was built in the late 60's.
    This house has two panels, one is 150 amp and the other one is 200 amps.

Sent from my Trio 7.85 vQ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing in our area in the last 20 years has been built with a 100 amp service. We built a 20x20 cabin on some property we own several years ago and our only option was 200 amp. I hadn't given much though to more than 20 amps on the outlets. 30 would be a minimal additional cost.

As for the floors, I started by looking at the rustoleum DIY stuff, and have quickly progressed to the more pricey solvent-based epoxies available online. I'll probably rent a diamond grinder. I want to do this right the first time. I don't plan on moving for quite a while.

Thanks again, this has gotten me a bit excited about moving. Rasky, that garage build is amazing.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Not sure yet. The concrete still needs to cure for a while and I'm looking at a few different options now. Lots of good recommendations on the Garage Journal forum.
    Epoxy flooring is starting to be all the rage now. Strong as nails and lasts forever. Plus, when you are finished working on your cars, you can polish your floors too.

Post Thanks / Like

All I've ever heard were horror stories. I'm so anxious to find an endorsement of one

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast