autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know of custom-cut, clear floor mats

Recently purchased a 1989 Mercedes 560SL. It's been well cared for, is in very nice shape both mechanically and cosmetically, has only 26,000 miles, and it's what led me to find AG while searching for different supplies to spiff it up properly. I've already done the Leatherique thing, cleaned & dressed the top with RaggTopp, given it a 3 stage waxing, polished the chrome, etc.

The car is white over a red interior. Even the carpeting is red, and there are red, carpeted mats that, believe it or not, look almost new. I've had WeatherTech mats over the carpeted mats in my pick-ups, and other cars, but I don't want to place black, tan, or grey mats into this car with the red interior.

My thought is to get some clear mats to put over the red ones that will allow the red to show through while still protecting the carpet below. Since I will only be driving this car occasionally, and only on nice days when I can put the top down, I don't plan on excessive amouts of dirt, etc. In addition, I want to try to make sure, to the extent that it's possible, to get mats that are custom-cut for this vehicle, as opposed to generic, one size fits all, trim them yourself mats.

Has anyone had experience with the Clear Floor Protector Mats By Lloyd or are there any other mats that are clear & custom cut that can be recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know of custom-cut, clear floor mats

I hear what you are saying about not wanting to hide your red interior with the WeatherTech digital lined mats or othat such mats

I have detailed many cars (never seen a truck with) clear floor mats yet.

- Every single one of the clear mats that I've detailed had turned a yellowish over time just from normal use or maybe its what there made of (IDK).

- Like you said, you will be driving your new Mercedes occasionally (good weather, short trips, stuff like that right?) If so, I think these clears mats will work fine. Remember thou, they have no raised edges to prevent spills, mud extra from flowing of that matt and on to the carpet or even a slightly dirty/muddy shoe from slipping and hitting some side carpet near the pedals.

* This is my experiances from what I've seen from detailing with these clear mats installed.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Good experience with Lloyds

See if you can get a color match in red

Post Thanks / Like

I too am NOT a fan of most clear mats. They do change color or discolor over time where your shoes and dirt stand. Also they don't seem to really grab and stay put as other mats do.

Perhaps you could order some color matched mats cut to the exact specification of your car ?? Lloyds are usually quite good.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the clear mats in my mom's car. They cover the factory mats well and even have the hole for the retainers that hold the mat in place. In reality the clear mats are supposed to replace the factory mats but they worked fine over the factory mats in my mom's car.

I have clear mats in my Ram. They are custom made by a different company and they came with the truck. I think the Lloyd's mats are a little nicer because the ones in my truck are very stiff.

Like was said they will yellow over time regardless of how clean you keep them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd's mats.

Post Thanks / Like

Any form of sand underfoot can/will cloud the clear mats over time. I second what Scott mentioned earlier of trying to color match the existing mats with a better set from a mfgr. like Lloyd's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

When I was detailing motorhomes, I purchased a $60 roll of thick poly film to use as an upsell for stored vehicles floor coverings.

I hand cut and give these away to select customers.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Any local upholsterer can do an excellent job at reaonable cost.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast